Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

My review of the Tilton Flywheel/Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 07:03 AM
ChrisMCagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My review of the Tilton Flywheel/Clutch

While I was at Performance Nissan yesterday to pick up some things I was talking to Jeff about future mods. I mentioned the Tilton and he asked if I had even driven a car with one. When I told him I hadn't he asked if I'd like to try driving his car since he has one (along with TOO many other fun things). First he took me down the street to show me what his car could do.

OH MY GOD!!!!!

I can honestly say that I have never ridden in anything that went that fast so quickly. Well... maybe a plane when it's taking off, but that's about it. WOW!! The fact that it's all NA makes it even more impressive! I can only imagine what a TT or SC Z must be like!

Ok... now for the review:

We got to a nice safe parking lot and I got behind the wheel. The first thing I noticed was how soft the clutch is. It is noticibly softer than the stock pedal. I can only describe it as "squishy". Trying to get the car moving was like learning to drive a manual transmission all over again. It would definitely take some getting used to. You can't just slowly release the clutch as you give it gas like you normally would. You have to sort of gun the gas and then quickly release the clutch. You'd need to practice a lot but I'm sure that once you got the hang of it, it would be AwEsOmE!

This is not something that I would recommend on a daily driver unless you want to spend the better part of a weekend learning how to get the car moving and if you have a wife/girlfriend who would also be driving the car, I don't think they'd like it too much. Crawling forward slowly in the car is something that will require A LOT of practice. I could also imagine the trouble you'd be in if you weren't used to it and got stopped at a red light on a steep uphill grade.

Once the car was moving, shifting through the rest of the gears is pretty much like normal, it's just the innitial launch that would take some getting used to.

So, will I be installing a Tilton Flywheel/Clutch on my Z? .... Probably. I think that the accelleration gains you get from it would greatly outweigh the initial time to get used to it.

"THANK YOU, JEFF!!"

For those of you who are ready to take the plunge into the "Fun Zone", here you go!

-Chris

Last edited by ChrisMCagle; 05-11-2004 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:30 AM
FritzMan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at your sig, I noticed you have the Kinetix plenum.

Is the gear noise from the Tilton as noticable as the plenum growl (inside and outside)?
Old 05-11-2004, 08:13 AM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by FritzMan
Looking at your sig, I noticed you have the Kinetix plenum.

Is the gear noise from the Tilton as noticable as the plenum growl (inside and outside)?
No. I didn't notice any real sound from the Tilton and definitely nothing like the Plenum. Jeff said that sometimes it makes a ticking noise, but we couldn't get it to make any noise at all.

-Chris
Old 05-11-2004, 10:39 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

go tilton!
Old 05-12-2004, 05:52 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Hey, always like showing of the toy.... but I think it's time for something new... want a Skyline R34, so the Z is up for sale.. BTW: Tilton is still working on a full street version of the disc, but for those with F/I... what's in my car is the set up to have. Good seeing you again Chris!!!
Old 05-12-2004, 06:25 AM
Traffic

Hmm, a Z with a Tilton setup and the 3.917 final drive gears would be pretty quick indeed.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:28 AM
shortcut3d

Originally posted by Traffic
Hmm, a Z with a Tilton setup and the 3.917 final drive gears would be pretty quick indeed.
My thoughts exactly. I lean towards NISMO flywheel because I am a Nissan Motorsports International b***h.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:59 AM
Z8M

Originally posted by Jeff@Performance
Hey, always like showing of the toy.... but I think it's time for something new... want a Skyline R34, so the Z is up for sale..
I'll be curious, what your car sells for with all those nasty mods. I do mean NAZZZZZTY!!!
Old 05-12-2004, 08:46 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by Z8M
I'll be curious, what your car sells for with all those nasty mods. I do mean NAZZZZZTY!!!
Not to pimp my own thread... but I'll post up a link to E-Bay in the next day or so when I get it all together.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:35 AM
ChrisMCagle

Not to pimp my own thread... but I'll post up a link to E-Bay in the next day or so when I get it all together.
Pimp jeff, pimp
Old 05-12-2004, 04:50 PM
esemes

im wanting more tilton info......

[[a streetable setup, with MIN noise/cement mixer sound] and some range of engagement in the pedal travel.....

this is for my vortech,which goes in next week....

pls. PM me with details, if possible!

-eS
Old 05-12-2004, 06:46 PM
scz

I dont understand how they could come out with a more streetable clutch. I always thought that lighter flywheels and clutches are harder to launch because there is not enough rotational weight to get the car going. Unless the new clutch is a lot heavier (which would make acceleration slower), I dont know how it would solve the streetability problem.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:42 PM
WP Gaston

Thanx Chris for the info. Ever since I read thru the Jason "WOWIE" post, the Tilton set-up has sounded pretty interesting...except for the reported noise thing (the gravelly cement mixer, whatever it is). Chris didn't mention it as an issue. I may have talked myself out of the probably tooloud RS*R exhaust, but, I think this Tilton flywheel/clutch is moving up the 'to do' list again.

could someone splain to me what the source of the noise is on a light flywheel/clutch? Apparently a stock clutch dampens the noise, but what is the noise? I checked out the 'how stuff works' web & there's not much on flywheels.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:09 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

I would recomeend the Carbon Carbon 2 disk Tilton Clutch for FI applications...
Old 05-12-2004, 10:18 PM
350ed
Professional

BTW: Tilton is still working on a full street version of the disc, but for those with F/I... what's in my car is the set up to have.
Ooooh, more info!
Old 05-13-2004, 03:55 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by WP Gaston
could someone splain to me what the source of the noise is on a light flywheel/clutch? Apparently a stock clutch dampens the noise, but what is the noise? I checked out the 'how stuff works' web & there's not much on flywheels.
Your not that far from us... why don't you take a bit of time and come by the Dealer. You can drive my car and good or bad throw out your own thoughts on the board.....
Old 05-13-2004, 06:23 AM
WP Gaston

Thanks for the offer. I'll keep that in mind. My bidness takes me out & about the LA Basin, so, if I'm in the neighborhood, I'll see whether you're in. The light flywheel just sounds like a good thing. Martha would probably recommened it.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:40 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default Just Flywheel

Originally posted by WP Gaston
Thanks for the offer. I'll keep that in mind. My bidness takes me out & about the LA Basin, so, if I'm in the neighborhood, I'll see whether you're in. The light flywheel just sounds like a good thing. Martha would probably recommened it.
Will,

You can also just get the Tilton Flywheel without the clutch and get the same fast accelleration. That might be what I do and then when I go FI, I'll get the Tilton Clutch.

Here's just the Flywheel

-Chris
Old 05-13-2004, 06:58 AM
FritzMan

I believe a 7" clutch is also required to work with the flywheel though. I was under the impression that the OEM clutch won't work.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:35 AM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by FritzMan
I believe a 7" clutch is also required to work with the flywheel though. I was under the impression that the OEM clutch won't work.
Hmmmmm... I had asked Jeff about just replacing the flywheel and he didn't mention that you had to replace the clutch too. Maybe I just didn't understand though.

Jeff/Jason, can you answer this?

-Chris

Quick Reply: My review of the Tilton Flywheel/Clutch