Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

How in the hell did a stock Z beat me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 11:51 PM
Z8M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 04-bell-Z
Yeah i know he is a better driver than me... But seriously, how can u become a better driver when you have an auto... all u have to do is slap shift... how much better can u get at that?
I see it this way. Stock for stock, if you drive a manual and you got beat by a manual ---> he's a better driver than you. If you got beat by an auto---> he's a better driver than you. If you beat an auto----> that's to be expected, you have an edge(gearing) on him. Being proficient at shifting still doesn't make you a better driver. How's your reaction time?, do you hook up or just spins, do you pick the right rpms to shift for maximum power, do you know when to use the brakes and shift during a turn, how do you take the apex? There's a lot of skills to master to become a really good driver (racing). Shifting is just one of them.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:28 AM
zzzya

Default Re: Re: Re: Here's why you got beat......

Originally posted by eskimo
I hate it when people make up acronyms, it's called the integral. Not AUC, or whatever else you can make up. wtf mate
You must not be far enough along in school to realize I didn't make that up. Go do some studying then come back in a few years before you post bs like this.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:19 PM
04-bell-Z

Didnt some1 post up earlier that u can gain 15 hps for some hoses? wtf is that? Or was he meaning that you can gain that with FI?
Old 06-27-2004, 08:10 PM
eskimo

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Here's why you got beat......

Originally posted by zzzya
You must not be far enough along in school to realize I didn't make that up. Go do some studying then come back in a few years before you post bs like this.
Or perhaps you're not far enough along in school to realize that it is in fact the integral.

(in·te·gral) Mathematics.
A number computed by a limiting process in which the domain of a function, often an interval or planar region, is divided into arbitrarily small units, the value of the function at a point in each unit is multiplied by the linear or areal measurement of that unit, and all such products are summed.
A.K.A. the area under the curve. didn't mean to be rude before by the way, that's just not the way it's refered to in physics. In statistics, maybe, but this is, after all, essentialy physics.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:12 PM
04-bell-Z

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here's why you got beat......

easy boys

This is just how i got beat... not about school lol
Old 06-27-2004, 10:45 PM
12SecZ

I see it this way. Stock for stock, if you drive a manual and you got beat by a manual ---> he's a better driver than you. If you got beat by an auto---> he's a better driver than you. If you beat an auto----> that's to be expected, you have an edge(gearing) on him. Being proficient at shifting still doesn't make you a better driver. How's your reaction time?, do you hook up or just spins, do you pick the right rpms to shift for maximum power, do you know when to use the brakes and shift during a turn, how do you take the apex? There's a lot of skills to master to become a really good driver (racing). Shifting is just one of them.
Well said.

As for the TC it doesn't have any effect internally or in the feel as a daily driver unless you "flash" it. Flash the verter to get it to launch but you better hook and be ready to shift.

You don't just slap shift and go it's not quite as simple as you make it sound. Edge Racing makes a very good torque converter and I would say for you it would be a good mod for less than 1000.00 including shipping, parts and labor you could beat most N/A Z's out there A5T or 6MT.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:55 AM
zzzya

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here's why you got beat......

Originally posted by eskimo
A.K.A. the area under the curve. didn't mean to be rude before by the way, that's just not the way it's refered to in physics. In statistics, maybe, but this is, after all, essentialy physics.
Wasn't disputing your point about integral, was however disputing that AUC was a made up term. Take another look at your original post and you will understand my reply.

"I hate it when people make up acronyms, it's called the integral. Not AUC, or whatever else you can make up. wtf mate"
Old 06-28-2004, 06:48 AM
shanedog

Default Re: How in the hell did a stock Z beat me?

Originally posted by 04-bell-Z

This really pisses me off and makes me wanna sell my $hit...

(in the other room throwing up)
Well if you sell the plenum....PM me
Old 06-28-2004, 06:59 AM
Road Warrior

i really don't see what the big deal is here....the kid got outdriven, should have bought a manual since he is making the payments, and the mods he has chosen so far are not going to return much in terms in performance.

learn how to drive the car first before dumping more money into mods...a driving school would be ideal for you at this point.

don't blame it on the car....its the driver
Old 06-28-2004, 09:11 AM
MrGoingdown305

Originally posted by Zmego1985
I must say im lucky when i dynoed on the dynojet my z with just a Frankencar intake was getting 240 hp at the wheels and i am a auto. I know you manual guys are in my ball park. I later installed the underdrivepulley, grounding kit and injen daul exhaust so i must have more now.

Glen
Where did you get a Frankencar intake from? Did you rig one from a Maxima or Altima to your Z? Maybe I could take my brother's Frankencar from his Altima 3.5 (think he would notice? ) Any pix?

Last edited by MrGoingdown305; 06-28-2004 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:01 PM
Zmego1985

Nope its coming out soon custom design. I also have a apexi filter one of the best filters around, and has a nasty growl. Once i get one powder coated ill post pics. The intake should not take much longer either.

Glen
Old 06-28-2004, 05:17 PM
350zWarz

area under the curve is just explaining to people what the integral is, some people might not know, it's not something to argue about. Everyone here is trying to learn about their z's to make them better, i know i am, if you know what an integral is then there's no worries, people are so uptight on these forums because we're typing and aren't really communicating in its true since, face to face, with that being said i will whip any autos a$$...haha just kidding
Old 06-28-2004, 07:28 PM
MrGoingdown305

Zmego-Keep us informed because it seems to be making some power if u dynoed your Auto at 240. Most automatics dyno around 215-230(at most)...so either ur either lucky or that Frankencar is putting down some serious power.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:58 PM
syf0n

Originally posted by Road Warrior
i really don't see what the big deal is here....the kid got outdriven, should have bought a manual since he is making the payments, and the mods he has chosen so far are not going to return much in terms in performance.

learn how to drive the car first before dumping more money into mods...a driving school would be ideal for you at this point.

don't blame it on the car....its the driver
Agreed 100%...
Old 06-29-2004, 08:23 AM
12SecZ

My first Dyno with just Injen CAI was 234 CAI and custom exhaust (about 100 bucks) was 240.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:26 AM
BENJ-AMG
Banned

Originally posted by Zmego1985
I had over 3 nissan cars a 1996 maxima, a 2002 maxima, and now my 2003 350z. Whenever i did any mods on any of my cars i always reset the ecu. A Nissan dealer told me it was a good idea so im going with it.

Glen
I've had a 1991 Maxima, a 2002 Maxima and now the 350z
The '91 Max was great until the tranny dropped. The Max was excellent. The Z is wicked