Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

z capable of 1000+ hp???

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 03:15 PM
ZliciousStroker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z capable of 1000+ hp???

well i hope most of you know of Mike Kojima a god to nissan owners, well he has just reviewed the new aebs 4.3L vq35de stroker kit and this is what he has to say....i love it

"Want a 400 hp all motor 350Z? Want to pump out 1000 hp with a turbo? Want your, G35, Pathfinder, Altima or Maxima to bone out? If this sounds like something you want, check this out.

AEBS is proud to release their 4.3-liter kit for the VQ35DE engine. In stock form, the VQ35DE is an exceedingly robust engine. The crank is well supported by a robust girdle. The crank itself has large journals and a lot of overlap, more so than the venerable VG30DE engine. The block itself is high pressure die cast aluminum for strength and light weight. These are all big pluses. On the top end, the head has a combustion chamber with a detonation resisting shallow included valve angle and a lot of quench. Big intake and exhaust ports flow more than the old VG. A lightweight mechanical valve train also has a better rev potential.

The weak point of the VQ block is its open deck construction and freestanding bores. Nissan did this so the cylinder top end would be more evenly heated to reduce hydrocarbon emissions. Open decks also lend themselves to die casting better. The bad part about this is when the engine is loaded hard, the unsupported cylinders walk around compromising head seal and eventually cracking from the pressure. Thus a stock VQ block should not be boosted past 16 or so psi or have more than a 120 shot of Nitrous run through it or damage can result.

To reduce emissions the VQ has its compression rings near the top of the piston. This reduces crevice volume and the potential for hydrocarbons hiding in this area to contaminate the exhaust. The downside is that this weakens the piston and detonation can thus easily break the piston in the ring land area. Many a forced induction VQ in a Z has succumbed to this fate.

AEBS has a solution to this. AEBS re machines the block to accept their fully buttressed centrifugally spun nodular iron deck sleeves. The thick sleeves can take a huge overbore and still maintain strength. The full deck gives the head gasket additional clamping area so blown gaskets will be a thing of the past. The full deck also eliminates cylinder flexing and any chance of cylinder wall breakage. The thick deck flange also prevents the bane of all sleeved engines, a sunk sleeve. AEBS forged pistons for any compression ratio you desire solve the ring land breakage problem. The pistons are a tough low silicon alloy and feature strong and lightweight tool steel pins.

Another problem is that the VQ's have marginal rod bolts that are failure prone much past 7200 rpm. AEBS solves this problem with their forged rods. The rods are machined from forged 4340 chrome molly blanks and feature SPS 180,000 psi bolts. No breaking these suckas. AEBS's stroker crank is machined from a forged 4340 billet as well. This crank should be bullet proof and should be able to take anything you can throw at it.

4.3 liters is a lot of engine and it can spool a big turbo. 1000 hp should easily be a reality with this combo of parts. If you are into cheap econo builds, then this kit is not for you. If you want the best and the trickest, then look no further."

Advanced Engine Breathing Systems
8270 Miramar Road
San Diego, CA 92126
www.aebsracing.com
info@aebsracing.com
Tel: (858) 693-3200
Fax: (858) 693-3449

Old 07-04-2004, 06:49 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

doesn't sound like he reviewed it at all though...sounds like a press release worded a bit differently

The open deck has yet to proven itself to be a problem for anyone. For 650+ hp? maybe at that point it is an issue.

Hopefully in the coming months we'll have a board member with the kit in his car (he is FI already) to give some good solid feeback.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:25 PM
Rayden2001

Good stuff, how much is the kit?
Old 07-05-2004, 12:36 AM
spdracr877

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ine&prodid=926
they have it but no price
Old 07-05-2004, 05:38 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

just under $8k for the kit ($7800)
Old 07-05-2004, 11:34 AM
ZliciousStroker

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
just under $8k for the kit ($7800)
i emailed them yesterday to see how much, 7800 is a good price for 400whp all motor, yes i ment he reveiwed as in telling his opinion about it
Old 07-05-2004, 12:27 PM
Rayden2001

Will you be doing the ecu flash, or will it be T.Q? And also do you guys have a Z with this setup already?

Last edited by Rayden2001; 07-05-2004 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:52 PM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kit sounds VERY appealing, but is far from complete.....

To AEBS........you need to offer or at least recommend intake, cams,valves & springs. Will stock exhaust system suffice......probably not. What are the exhaust sytem requirements for optimal airflow through your motor? What about fueling.....injectors? FPR? Pump? Will stock work? And.....the two biggies........Engine management and emissions?

If you can give me the answers to my above questions, and the solutions are ones that actually work, I am very inclined to go with this upgrade.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:50 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Its very hard to recommend this type of stuff to people, as everyone's goals are different.

As an example, AEBS is also the authorized importer of Tomei USA. Tomei has 3 cam grinds for the 350Z, and depending on your state of mods (FI, NA, etc), one fo the three sets would be a terrific match to what this bottom end can dish out. There are quite a few other cams that will work well with these setups in NA or turbo use.....there is no way to define which are best for you without defining your goals.

For an intake, frankly it makes zero difference which you do on a Z (or none at all).....they all pretty much net the same gains.

Exhaust is a very similar proposition.....if you compare apples to apples, they all are pretty much netting the same gains, and are all big enough to accomodate the increased displacement.

Fueling and injectors, cams....same deal...depends on your level of mods. Engine mgmt.....again, same thing. Emissions will be a result of your's or your tuners abilities in the engine mgmt department, as well as your exhaust system components.

This is not r meant to be an out of the box solution for the end user. It's not a crate motor. Rather its intended to be the type of kit that is customizable to the end users needs, with the clear assumption that he has the other resources at his disposal to take advantage of what the kit can dish out (in terms of engine management tuning, the buildup of the block and heads, etc. etc.)

adam
Old 07-05-2004, 06:13 PM
Speedracer

Default Adam....I totally get what you are saying, but.......

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
Its very hard to recommend this type of stuff to people, as everyone's goals are different.

As an example, AEBS is also the authorized importer of Tomei USA. Tomei has 3 cam grinds for the 350Z, and depending on your state of mods (FI, NA, etc), one fo the three sets would be a terrific match to what this bottom end can dish out. There are quite a few other cams that will work well with these setups in NA or turbo use.....there is no way to define which are best for you without defining your goals.

For an intake, frankly it makes zero difference which you do on a Z (or none at all).....they all pretty much net the same gains.

Exhaust is a very similar proposition.....if you compare apples to apples, they all are pretty much netting the same gains, and are all big enough to accomodate the increased displacement.

Fueling and injectors, cams....same deal...depends on your level of mods. Engine mgmt.....again, same thing. Emissions will be a result of your's or your tuners abilities in the engine mgmt department, as well as your exhaust system components.

This is not r meant to be an out of the box solution for the end user. It's not a crate motor. Rather its intended to be the type of kit that is customizable to the end users needs, with the clear assumption that he has the other resources at his disposal to take advantage of what the kit can dish out (in terms of engine management tuning, the buildup of the block and heads, etc. etc.)

adam
I think there are a number of people who get misled. I don't know, and maybe I am mistaken, that people realize how much more has to go into this set-up to get it working properly. And....wouldn't it be great if they could provide at least one "full" kit in one form or another. People will always want to tinker and tune some more, but a good complete system is nice place to start.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:08 PM
UsafaRice

Default Re: Adam....I totally get what you are saying, but.......

Originally posted by Speedracer
I think there are a number of people who get misled. I don't know, and maybe I am mistaken, that people realize how much more has to go into this set-up to get it working properly. And....wouldn't it be great if they could provide at least one "full" kit in one form or another. People will always want to tinker and tune some more, but a good complete system is nice place to start.
Speedracer, I see your point. But if I were some limited production manufacturer like AEBS and got asked for a $10K-$12K kit involving full blown engine reworking for a $30K+ car, I would refer them to a new Corvette or used Viper.

Even the 240SX (old cars that don't have warranties and are easy to replace) guys are doing motor swaps with fully assembled blocks from already running Japanese cars.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Speedracer

Default Interesting that you mention corvettes.....

Originally posted by UsafaRice
Speedracer, I see your point. But if I were some limited production manufacturer like AEBS and got asked for a $10K-$12K kit involving full blown engine reworking for a $30K+ car, I would refer them to a new Corvette or used Viper.

Even the 240SX (old cars that don't have warranties and are easy to replace) guys are doing motor swaps with fully assembled blocks from already running Japanese cars.
I was leafing through a Covette enthusiast magazine some time ago and I came across a complete custom built 427cid engine replacement for the C5 Corvette. I forgot the company...I *think* it may have been Mallett. Anyway, the motor put out 550hp in NA form and was priced at $22,000, or about half the price of a new Vette. By that token, $12-15k for a similar type of option in the Z doesn't seem unreasonable. (400 NA hp in a $30k+ car)

Last edited by Speedracer; 07-05-2004 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Rayden2001

Default Re: Interesting that you mention corvettes.....

Originally posted by Speedracer
I was leafing through a Covette enthusiast magazine some time ago and I came across a complete custom built 427cid engine replacement for the C5 Corvette. I forgot the company...I *think* it may have been Mallett. Anyway, the motor put out 550hp in NA form and was priced at $22,000, or about half the price of a new Vette. By that token, $12-15k for a similar type of option in the Z doesn't seem unreasonable. (400 NA hp in a $30k+ car)
Yep Mallett, I had them do some work on my vette when I had it.
http://www.mallettcars.com/index.php