Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

NEW STREET TILTON CLUTCH!!! (Coming Soon) Feels like stock - Revv's like MAD!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 07:08 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NEW STREET TILTON CLUTCH!!! (Coming Soon) Feels like stock - Revv's like MAD!

Well, It is finally here...

Well almost, and I was hoping to have the price by the time I made this post, but that will come soon but I promised I would make this post on Monday.

For the last 2 weeks I have been testing the Latest version of the TILTON Clutch & Flywheel combo.

This use's the same 8lb preheat-treated billet 4140 steel Flywheel that the Carbon-Carbon, Cerametallic and Sintered Metallic clutches.

This "STREET" Set up can be used on the Street for the daily driver and for the Ocasional Road Track driver and the Drag Strip driver.

The only small catch. Currently this set up is only rated for the 300RWHP car. Before you get turned off, it is very hard to get more than 300RWHP out of the 350z / G35 with a normally aspired set up. Im pushing 260+ with all simple bolt on's including headers / test pipes / intake / exhaust soon to come cams and heads. Jeff is running over 280 to the wheels with Intake / Headers / P&P Heads / Cams / High Flow Cats / Exhaust... So unless you are running FI, This is THE Set up for you. So, 300RWHP is the Current HP Rating, we will be doing more testing naturally to see how it will hold up with more HP on a FI car

What will be gained from this set up...

Extreemly fast engine response, Down shifting can be done with a flash weither to accelerate or to heal toe engine brake... Acceleration horse power is greatly increased. It has been shown on the dyno to increase up to 30RWHP during acceleration. It will not add peak HP. What does this mean to you? When on the track, accelerating on the straights / passing on the freeway, you will pull on supercharged Z's / shifting is overall quicker and you can really push your engines performance to the limits with this set up.

What is noticble?...

You get in, turn the key, it has the same flick of the techameter up to 2800 rpm and down to idle. Tapping the throttle the RPM's fly up to red-line. In other words, for those of you who have been folowing the performance of the Tilton FlyWhel and Clutch it rev's the same way.

How does it drive?...

The clutch pedal is simlar to stock, but if you ask me, it feels softer to push down. Launching... NOT a problem. It will slip just like stock! Once you know where it grabs, you will have no problems at all. You WILL stall at first since the engine is more responsive in both the acceleration and deceleration (once clutch is lifted it will stall instantly if you are not applying enough throttle simply because just as fast as the engine wil rev - it will die just as quick). But this is nothing to fear. Once you find the "Sweet spot" (easly found) it CAN be slipped like stock. BUT, you will still hear a slight squeel due to the disc, it is not horrible, but you shouldnt really do it. Once the clutch starts to grab it is best to just give it gas and lift off the clutch, but as you learn how to drive it you will know how it responds and you will learn how to control it. But, the over all feel is like the stock clutch.

The way I like to look at it... if the stock clutch's movment from floor to engaged was 1foot long. All the same grab and throw takes place in 6 inches. So for the amount you have to move your foot with the stock clutch, you move it half as much with this new tilton set up. If you were to get into a Z with this set up in there and you have never driven a Z before, you would not be expecting a HUGE pedal throw and it would be no problem to drive.

I took this set up to the drag strip recently. Launching is MUCH easier and I was able to have control of launching at RPM's higher then IDLE!

I have been beating it up for 2 weeks and over 2400 miles now. Mis-shifting on purpose / slipping the clutch accessively just to see if it will fail and it shows now signs of being brutaly abused.

What does it cost?

Good question, I will post this later in this thread and include a link on our web site http://www.mynismo.com

When can you get this?

We are now taking pre-orders. Preorders are placed by purchasing the Tilton FLYWHEEL at this link.

TILTON FLYWHEEL

Buyers will then be notified of when this set up will be ready to ship and all other updates including price (It will NOT be anything like the Carbon-Carbon clutches dont worry about that.

Estimated Ship Date?

OCTOBER 1st is ESTIMATED!!!!!!! It could be BEFORE it could be AFTER (most likely before)...

So, if you are keeping your car NA. THIS is the ULTIMATE STREET Flywheel and Clutch combo available.

Are you ready
Old 07-26-2004, 07:38 PM
onii

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im gettin horny htinkin bout it. please post price asap!! was just bout to get new clutch setup...sick of the no power till 4k bs. =p
Old 07-26-2004, 08:36 PM
BrImSt0ne

I would be interested too once pricing comes out!
Old 07-26-2004, 08:37 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Price...Need Price!!!!!
Old 07-26-2004, 11:51 PM
iLLestJrz

What does this compare to the JWT?
Old 07-27-2004, 05:13 AM
Balls

Originally posted by onii
im gettin horny htinkin bout it.
HAHAHA! hilarious...
I can't wait to get this either.... Props to performance for making all this readily available to us, putting out all the info, etc.

Woohoo!
Old 07-27-2004, 05:23 AM
Balls

How much does the clutch weigh.. I'm guessing it's about the same since you say it revs the same... but any figures on that?
Old 07-27-2004, 05:57 AM
daytona350z

hey jason, would ya care to give me a ride next time i stop by the dealer? very interested in this setup!!
Old 07-27-2004, 07:50 AM
xziteme

Default Re: NEW STREET TILTON CLUTCH!!! (Coming Soon) Feels like stock - Revv's like MAD!

Does it have that "cement mixer" sound at low rpms?
Old 07-27-2004, 07:50 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

awsome news! Can't wait to get an idea of final pricing on the combo. Jason, do you happen to know what the estimated shop hours it takes to do a flywheel/clutch swap?
Old 07-27-2004, 11:52 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by daytona350z
hey jason, would ya care to give me a ride next time i stop by the dealer? very interested in this setup!!
Of course! you can come by and ill give you the e-ticket ride, and you can drive it your self! I would love to hear your comments on it...

awsome news! Can't wait to get an idea of final pricing on the combo. Jason, do you happen to know what the estimated shop hours it takes to do a flywheel/clutch swap?
\

we charge 7 hours to install any of the tilton set up's including the pedal stop install...

Does it have that "cement mixer" sound at low rpms?
Like all of the flywheels. there is some of the sound... but.. everyone who gets in my car who knows about the sound but never heard it before say "thats what everyone is complaining about?" hehe...

How much does the clutch weigh.. I'm guessing it's about the same since you say it revs the same... but any figures on that?
The flywheel weights 8lbs.
The Clutch & Disc's weight 8.8lbs roughly (a slight adjustment is being made to the pressure plate which may or may not change the overall weight of the clutch)
Old 07-27-2004, 01:16 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

OK!

Here is the news we have all been waiting for!!!

Price...

$1400

This package includes...

8lb Tilton Flywheel
Street Version 7.25" Clutch (disc's / pressure plate / clutch cover)
clutch bolts, flywheel bolts
Through Bearing & custom fabricated stand
Custom fabricated pedal stop

Here is a little more info and revised statments on the clutch's handling...

Now read carefully for it is easy to misunderstand.

This set up will handle 300ft-lbs tq to the flywheel. That will come out to about 365HP to the crank (300RHP est). Now, Remember that Peak TQ is between 4800-5500RPM and Peak Horse Power is between 6200RPM and 7000RPM.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any questions in this thread so others will get something out of it, but also please email me or PM me...

The estimated ship date I am still leaving as offically the 1st of October. but, they are expected in almost a month before that (Early September). But to be safe, I am leaving the official release date till the 1st to be exact.

Thank you!
Old 07-27-2004, 01:24 PM
o snap its eric

so what happens if the car is over 300ft and 300rhp? Will the clutch not grab as hard?
Old 07-27-2004, 01:43 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

It will handle 300ft-lbs tq and 365hp to the crank.

it may slip...

if you are running that much power you will not be worrying about a fully streetable set up like this... You would be best off with one of the rally or race clutch set up's...
Old 07-27-2004, 01:49 PM
Glasgow Smile
dat title

Nice!

Now I have to add another TO DO to my car list.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:55 PM
NismoKid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to clarify things, the rally clutch Tilton setup is $1,350 and the street clutch Tilton setup is $1,400? Also, will my350z forum members get the discount that you give on your other products? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:14 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by NismoKid
Just to clarify things, the rally clutch Tilton setup is $1,350 and the street clutch Tilton setup is $1,400? Also, will my350z forum members get the discount that you give on your other products? Thanks in advance.
List price on the clutch alone is $895

I can change the price on our web site to list and then offer a discount, but, its more work for us when people place orders...
Old 07-27-2004, 02:39 PM
Balls

Doh! I thought it'd be cheaper! Still worth the money tho! heheh i'm so giddy!
Old 07-27-2004, 02:44 PM
myz8a4re

hehe, everytime i get started on my body kit project i find a new performance mod i have to have......this one really pushes the body kit to the back burner! being a car nut has its ups & downs doesnt it? lol!

-justin
Old 07-27-2004, 03:03 PM
Balls

actually i guess that just makes the rally setup that much cheaper... haha