Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

WTF Is Wrong With My Pulley????

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 11:26 PM
joust75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF Is Wrong With My Pulley????

HAd my UR racing crank pulley installed at Mossy nissan Oceanside a few months ago. two weeks after install I start to heara mild squeaking. I take it back and it turns out they used the wrong belt size because UR reccomended the wrong belt size. Now that they have changed it I have since had to take the damn car back twice because of squeaking, most recently yesterday. Now it is already squeaking again!!! WTF ??!! Does anyone have any insight??

For those of you who have succesfully installed the UR Crank Pulley, What is the proper belt size? Maybe the Monkeys over at Mossy STILL havent installed the proper size.

Anyways Can someone give me some insight here? I am so pissed at these guys. If only I had a lift and the proper tools I could do this crap myself the right way. Instead I have to drive back to the dealer 4 times for the same issue!.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:37 AM
axxizzer

sorry cant help you, but can bump!
Old 08-25-2004, 10:10 AM
DrVolkl

I used the belt size off the UR website...but then again, I have the full set on my car.

They should be able to simply tighten the belts up and be done with it...unless they're running the wrong belt.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:37 AM
RCKTDAWG

Go to the Performance Nissan website, they have to correct pullies
Old 08-25-2004, 11:19 AM
devildogg

You want to use the next smaller size belt. The recommended one is a little too long. It does not allow for the belt to be properly adjusted. Sorry I can not remember the exact belt size.

Good Luck..
Old 08-25-2004, 11:19 AM
mattg85

I had the same problem, mild squeaking, but then it got worse. Finally the belt fell off. Make sure the belt is the kind UR suggests (it should say in an insert). Then make sure the pulley is installed correctly and that the belt is all the way on. It will seem like it is too small, but the squeaking comes from a bad fitment (i.e., it isn't on there all of the way). When you smell something burning, go to the dealer. I didn't, then I had to get it towed in.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:37 AM
al503

Besides loose/incorrect belts, I think you can get some squeeking from any grease/oil/dirt that may have gotten on the outside of the pulley or on the belts. I made sure that I didn't get anything on the belts or the pulley and I've had no squeeking.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:02 AM
joust75

Duplicate. mutherfukin slow *** site

Last edited by joust75; 08-26-2004 at 01:08 AM.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:03 AM
joust75

Can Those of you who have installed and run the crank pulley alone (and have been trouble free for several months) Tell me what size pulley they use and what brand.
I am going to have to tell my dealership what to do because they cant figure it out on their own

Thanks for advice all, and thanks for future replies.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:09 AM
j's350z

The correct belt size is a KO60440.. They tell you in the instructions to use a 445 but that is a 1/2" too long.. Any brand should work but we use Goodyear Gatorback belts and have had no problems... Just make sure they adjust the tension right...
Jason
MRC Motorsports
www.racemrc.com
Old 08-26-2004, 06:40 AM
MIAPLAYA

Problem number 1: Allowing Mossy Nissan mechanics to touch your car. Don't get me wrong my boy is the parts guy and hes cool. Their parts Dept is cool. But their mechanics....subpar. Same guys who f@cked up my side sill doing an OIL CHANGE...Same guys who dented two of my boys cars. Same people who put in the motor on my Spec V and punched a hole in the head gasket in the process. Yeah f@ck their mechanics. I'd buy parts there but I wouldn't let them come within 15 ft of my car ever again. There is ONE exception. When you go back ask for Kimo. He is on the Serive Advisor named Carlos team. He is the **** dude. He did my SS brake lines on my Spec V and did most of the work on all the Mossy project cars. Unless its Kimo dont let them near your car.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:06 PM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by j's350z
The correct belt size is a KO60440.. They tell you in the instructions to use a 445 but that is a 1/2" too long.. Any brand should work but we use Goodyear Gatorback belts and have had no problems... Just make sure they adjust the tension right...
Jason
MRC Motorsports
www.racemrc.com
Is this for the AC belt or the Alt/oil pump belt? For use with the full pulley set or crank pulley only (or does it matter)? I have squealing as well and I think it's the AC belt (though I think both my tensioners are maxed out). I run the crank pulley only and got it with Nissan belts from Concept Z. They're trying to find a better belt, but it's been quite a while and I'm tired of waiting.
Old 08-28-2004, 04:15 AM
j's350z

That is the main belt, not the AC belt. The AC belt listed is fine, its the Alt belt that s too big. This will be fine with just the Crank pulley, that is the setup on my car and has been fine....
Old 08-28-2004, 09:03 PM
C5DEMON

I have the UR pulley and the belts they sent with it. It squeeked once or twice, I tightened the tensioner like a son-of-a-biatch and have had about 4 worry free months of driving.

A must have mod!
Old 08-28-2004, 09:20 PM
murrman100

Hey!
Be cool about the "monkey" comments.
They are hard working people just like you and me.
I don't work there and I don't know anyone that does.

If they don't do the job that you want, then take it to another place.

It sounds like you got some older belts. Replace them or put a little belt dressing or wd40 on them with your finger while the car is not running.

Be sure to check all of your fluid levels also. (Power steering and coolant)

If all else fails, go to Performance Nissan.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:01 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally posted by murrman100
put a little belt dressing or wd40 on them with your finger while the car is not running.
Wouldn't this facilitate MORE slippage?
Old 08-29-2004, 07:09 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do not use belt dressing....and most certainly do not use WD40

The belts are not tight enough...simple as that. The pulley was the first mod I did on my about a year ago. Been on the car for 23k miles so far, and not a squeak at all - all using their recommended belt sizes.

You can use the next size down on each belt as well if you want, but it is absolutely not necessary.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:01 AM
MustGoFastR

I could swear both of my tensioners are maxed out and I get occasional squeal at startup. I assumed it was the AC belt b/c of the two, that one seems looser. I recall having to actually remove the tensioner pulley to get the Alt belt seated, then re-install it b/c it was such a tight fit going on. Given that, it doesn't make much sense that that tensioner should be maxed, so maybe I just need to crank on it some more?

The belts provided by Concept Z Performance are Nissan belts:
Alt: #11920-4B000
AC: #11950-71E11

Does anyone know the lengths on these and if they are the ones I should really have?
Old 08-29-2004, 08:51 PM
murrman100

Originally posted by MustGoFastR
Wouldn't this facilitate MORE slippage?
No it won't. But it is better to just replace the belts.
Take the car to a good dealer and have them check it out.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:51 AM
goldndwgz

Use the Gates Belts KO60445,KO40353....when you tighten the tensioner bolt make sure that the belt has at least 1/2 of flex...any stiffer and the belt will wear out faster..the tighter is not always the better....in some situtations at least....haaaaa

Quick Reply: WTF Is Wrong With My Pulley????