Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Tilton STREET-Clutch installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 11:31 AM
redline350ZZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Tilton STREET-Clutch installed

well I finally finished installing my Tilton STREET-Clutch.......This was to replace the Ceramic Rally clutch disk's that were in the car previously..... The install took 8 hours because we did it in the garage on jack stands and did not have a clutch alignment tool so I had to get one that fit close and modifly it..... that only took an hour and a half.....

After that we got the tranny back in and reinstalled all the sensors and brackets..... we tried to do it without removing the cats and it can be done but i dont recommend it to anyone....

Inital impression.... Pedal is a lot softer than before......drives like stock besides the fact it REV'S fast..well almost stock... the feel is stock but keep in mind that i was driving with a very hard clutch for 2 months.... the chatter is minimal and there is no squeal....... If this clutch can handle a little over 300whp...... hopefully 350whp I will be extremly happy... next im gonna get my 3.917 put in... hopefully monday.......

Any question's...... this setup is BAD-A$$..........
Old 10-09-2004, 04:53 PM
g35cfan

Can you give some more impressions as to how your tilton flywheel+clutch combo drives? Does it feel a lot quicker than stock? I'm thinking about making the tilton flywheel and street clutch as my only major modification. I'm hoping this makes a pretty significant increase in quickness and responsiveness. I might get hi-flow cats, but am undecided at the moment.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:00 PM
03Z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good job on finishing it up! so what all is involved in aligning it? does it engage sooner than the rally clutch or is travel about the same?
Old 10-10-2004, 09:37 AM
Jaki

So what did you do with the Rally clutch you had on ?
Old 10-11-2004, 03:37 AM
redline350ZZ

I got a clutch alignment tool from a local tranny shop and sanded down the tip so it would fit... took like 1 hour of sanding......

But it was worth it and i got the tool for free the owner is pro military ...... the car is quieter and the clutch is soft..... the practice from the rally clutch makes driving now so very very easy........ I have zero problems driving this is really the best n/a setup out there I would recommend this to all N/A fan's

The rally clutch is in my room....... It has virtually no wear...... not sure what to do with it???? I will sell it if JASON says its reusable.... otherwise save it...if i ever go F/I... and that would only be if the clutch I have now cant do 350whp........ hopefully i will have time to install my 3.917 evo gears that have been sitting in my room for about 2 weeks now..... the owner of the tranny shop will teach me how to install it for 100.00 dollars... that's a steal since i get to use his tools...... the hardest part i think will be setting the backlash and making sure the contact is correct...... I love the Z again it really feels like stock.....so easy to drive I cant even tell you all...... this was worth every penny.....

It slips almost like stock.....everyone who purchases this and drives fine now will adjust in a couple of days and it only takes a couple of days because it takes less clutch to engage..... my zero to 60 times are 5.3 seconds but I have not really tried to perfect my lauch...

Keep in mind I am still learning to launch because I have only been driving a stick for a year....so all you experts will have lower 0-60 times than me.....

any other questions???????
Old 10-11-2004, 12:27 PM
zillinois

Sweet setup!! The 3.9 coupled with the Tilton is going to be sick!!
Old 10-12-2004, 10:06 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

you can re-use your ceramatallic rally clutch set up or sell it... they may want to get new clutch bolts...

glad you like it! cant say I didnt tell you so :P

it is like driving stock again compared to the other set up... but it really is like driving stock...
Old 10-13-2004, 02:13 AM
redline350ZZ

just cant wait to really test this thing out ...my 3.917 are in the process of being installed....... missing a part so a little delay(thursday should be the test drive)...then im gonna push the HP limits of this clutch....... unless someone beats me to it......
Old 10-13-2004, 07:09 PM
lovetoclown

redline350zz, have you had your clutch stick at all? sometimes when I come to a stop, the car tries to stall and jerks as the clutch disingages.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:06 AM
redline350ZZ

Not on my street clutch.....

the 3.917 are in....... wow this is fast N/A Power
Old 12-10-2004, 11:22 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry for bringing up a 2 month old thread, but I have the street tilton and 3.91 final drive on my car.

I had a lot of work done all at once so it's hard for me to really comment so much on specific mods - I know, bad for scientific method trying out parts, but good for saving on install fees.

Anyway, the street tilton is awesome. I've been driving it for 4 days now. It's easy to get the hang of after about 10 min of driving - the basics anyway, but I'm still trying to learn how to launch the thing. I had three trial by fire horrible nights with rush hour so far and it's just slightly scary at first. Scary as in, you feel like a newbie driving all over again trying to keep the thing going 3-6 mph cause it WANTS to go fast.

Mine is making squealing sounds and it's a bit of a change for me anyway trying to force yourself to keep the rpms above 2500 pretty much at all times to avoid the chatter - which sometimes isn't so bad, and others is really loud. It just depends on what gear and speed you're going along with just how far you're pushing the gas pedal down.

Last night just for kicks, I test drove a bone stock Z at a dealer. It was a roadster so a little heavier than mine, but it had a Nismo exhaust on which is the reason I wanted to drive it - just ordered the exhaust today. Anyway, I didn't realize how much slower a stock Z is. I feel used to my car with my mods and the stock Z felt so slow. Actually I was kinda laughing about this, but I had a hard time driving the stock clutch. I kept driving soooo slow trying to get into 1st gear cause I'm now used to the gas pedal in my car being ultra sensitive. Also, the tilton clutch catches almost immediatly vs the stock clutch catching like 1/3 or 1/2 way up or whatever. Performance Nissan did my install and did a great job. They put a pedal stopper in for the clutch so it doesn't literally go to the floor cause it's not good for the Tilton setup.

Like I said, I only have 4 days experience with the tilton street clutch, but it is really fun when you get going. Tonight I had a few frusturating moments trying to quickly launch into 1st gear. Nothing like coming to a stop sign in a parking lot trying to go and you end up reving the **** out of your engine while a dumbfounded car is trying to figure out why you're being such a rev happy racing dweeb. I can tell though that in a few weeks it'll feel natural.

I also have the 3.91 final drive with this setup (along with the UR pulley too) and I drove from CA to AZ one night and between the two (well and my other mods too I suppose) the car is really fun to drive at highway speeds like 90+mph - it just has ***** and then some. I'm sure it won't compare to a turbo or anything, but I also don't have turbo related headaches either with my NA setup.

This setup forces you to learn to shift faster and better. It's easier to downshift - at least to me it is cause you just have to lightly tap the gas pedal and the rpms are there. I'm having more trouble upshifting smoothly though right now with this setup which I never had happen to me with the stock setup. When you upshift, the Tact drops so fast, it's almost like you have to upshift slower than before to avoid a slight jerk.

But the reason I think it forces you to learn to shift better is below 2500rpms it often makes that chatter sound. It isn't super horrible, but it can be slightly annoying and if you try to basically avoid that rpm range, it forces you to get better at downshifting at the right time as well as heal and toeing. I still need a lot of practice, but I feel like the stage is set for me to get used to shifting in more of a track shifting style just driving around the streets. And btw, the tilton sounds absolutely wicked reving up in neutral - just awesome. I always felt like the stock clutch reved slow - I mean it takes like 2 sec to get that stock one up to 6k compared to the tilton's i dunno .5 sec

I haven't noticed a significant MPG drop in my fuel economy either. Like I said, I had a lot of other mods put on at the same time, so I can't properly isolate specific mods and how they lowered fuel economy, but compared to pretty much stock, my MPG with normal driving appears to be about 2mpg lower with all my new mods. (before I just had popcharger and plenum).

I highly recomend the TS ECU flash for either or both of these mods at least just for the higher rev limiter ceiling itself. I hit the rev limiter at least a couple times in one night before getting the reflash. Now, no problem

I also had the Nismo LSD put in along with the final drive. I didn't think I'd really notice it that much until I started taking corners really fast, but yeah it actually feels safer with it than the stock LSD cause of the better grip on the road.

I still have stock tires which aren't great, but I thought I'd be kicking the tail out constantly whenever I accellerated hard. Maybe the LSD is helping to combat fishtailing, but even though the stock tires aren't super great, they're holding the accelleration power better than I thought they would. I do plan on going with a much wider setup eventually though.

Since I really haven't seen any reviews of the 350EVO throttle body, just thought I'd say that as far as butt dyno goes, I guess you can barely feel it up top, but it is definetly a minor power mod. I put that part on a few days after all my other parts were installed cause I didn't have it at the time. As far as I can tell, it isn't bored all the way thru. It looks like it's bored about half way on the front part of it and the back part is the stock diameter. It does have a different disc flap part though (whatever it's called).

anyway, with the mods I have, the car really does push you back into the seat quite a bit more than before.

Last edited by sentry65; 12-10-2004 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:15 AM
zillinois

I've got the 3.9 & Tilton as well. I'm looking at doing the cams and Crawford Package as well. Your car must be fast as hell. Did the headers make your car sound different?
Old 12-11-2004, 05:47 AM
tonio

Great post, you have the exact set up I am looking for minus the nismo LSD. I already have the tilton set up waiting to be installed with headers and the 3.9 final drive.

How do you like the JWT cams? I was going to order those at the beginning of the year, I figured that with a TS reflash would go together nicely. I already have the nismo exhaust and rt cats, if you're looking for the stock sound just much more aggressive you will love the nismo exhaust.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:13 AM
sentry65
the burninator

well I like my setup, but like I said I have a hard time isolating specific mods cause all the mods in my signature minus the popcharger, plenum, short shifter and cosmetic things - they were all done at the same time cause I wanted to save on install fees.

My next step is wider tires, suspension, then possibly supercharger or stroker kit (if it ever materializes). I figure by the time I'm ready for more power, it'll be time for a new clutch and then I'll just have to see how the shorter gears feel and decide if I want to go back to stock or not.

For the cams my idle is permanently set to 900 by TS for the cams cause otherwise if you were to disconnect your battery, it'd be back at the default 700 and you'd be in stall city. All I can say really is there is a lot more power up top than before, but the crawford package and ECU contribute a lot to that too so can't really say much about the cams other than this setup is more power. It won't compete with FI though.

I can say though between the cams, crawford package, and right now I have the borla. It sounds pretty mean/feisty when you start it up. You can tell the engine is mean. I love starting it up.

I really miss the stock's and nismo's punchy scream at 4k and higher which is why I want the nismo. Also sometimes when you first start the car, the borla makes this loud rumble/hum that's at just the right frequency where it feels like it gives you a headache and you can't really talk cause you can't hear yourself.

I wasn't too excited about throwing in the nismo LSD either, but I figured now is the time to do it while everything is open. So I wasn't expecting much cause I just want power mods right now. It helps out a lot with grip and really isn't as bad as some people say it is as far as noises. There are some random clunks every now and then, and a tire does occasionally chirp a few times in a turn, but it's fine. VDC doesn't like it. Gotta turn it off or you're in for some extra jerky turns while it tries to brake the tires all weird to try to compensate.

The tilton is the mod I'm the most happy with and most dissapointed with. It's one of the first things I tell people about my mods, but at the same time I really am looking forward to mastering it. Just need more practice time. It does make the car sound like there's something broken. Last night I got nervous cause I was driving and a cop pulled up behind me and I'm just trying to drive normal on my way home. At a stop light I hoped to god I wouldn't accidently rev the thing up too high. From what I can tell, it seems like it's easier to get the car going at about 2-3k rpms cause below that, the tact gets jumpy and has a narrower margin for error. If you give it too much gas, you're reving the crap out of the engine and looking like a showoff, not enough gas and the tach might drop too low too fast and stall. It seems like if you drive with more confidece, like you're going to go kick some ***, then I never have a problem with it, but it's when you're trying to not be noticed and drive normal or slow that it feels harder.

With my setup, I have another thread about this, but after visiting technosquare, I get a check engine light that comes on and stays on. They said if it's on and stays on it isn't major, if it was flashing it's a problem. So anyway after visiting them they say my car is doing some minor misfiring and I need 1 step colder spark plugs. Every so often the car starts doing a sorta sputtering thing where it kinda jerks back and forth - only does it in 1st or 2nd gear it seems between 1-2k rpms.

Also I might note between the tilton and pulley, when you take your foot off the gas, there's a slight jerk in the car - it's really annoying at rush hour after awhile, but so far I can live with it and am hoping the spark plugs help

Last edited by sentry65; 12-11-2004 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:11 AM
dnguyent

Great review! I'm conviced that the street tilton clutch and flywheel are my next mod. Also, from what I've read, the Nismo LSD should be on the top of the to-install list. But, I'll need to drive a Z with the Nismo LSD to get a feel for what it does for handling. I have a hard time justiflying a $2000 investment without knowing the outcome. Way to take a stab at it!

I know that with my stock LSD, the inside wheels spin on sharper turns. Does the Nismo LSD mitigate this?
Old 12-11-2004, 10:12 AM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by sentry65
With my setup, I have another thread about this, but after visiting technosquare, I get a check engine light that comes on and stays on. They said if it's on and stays on it isn't major, if it was flashing it's a problem.
Uhhhh, hard to say there... but if it's on it needs to be checked.

Have you stalled the Tilton a bunch? I am running the rally setup and stalled it quite a bit when I first installed it, this in turn caused me to throw a random cylinder misfire to to all the "Stalls". The car hadn't a clue why it kept shutting off, so threw that code in assumption.

Run down to autozone, they can pull that code if your dealer won't. Need to check it regardless.

As for performance, the Tilton is my best/worst mod like yours! It's can be a biotch to drive, you just have to focus and drive smooth!!!! However once you're under way it will boil 1st and 2nd gear, even with my 275 19s trying to hook up.

I got the chance to run what looked like a stock roadster the other day. I heard him downshift so it was a 6sp... and punch it... It didn't even take me all of 2nd gear to put over a car on him.

Last edited by PhoenixINX; 12-11-2004 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:54 AM
sentry65
the burninator

about the nismo LSD, the night I got my car I found some industrial zone area with a big parking lot and did circles/figure 8's for like 20 min or so to break it in. As I was going, towards the end I was going faster and faster and you could hear the LSD working and I really got the impression it was helping me with grip just doing that. Before I felt actually kinda unsure about taking some turns with the stock LSD, but from my little experience with it, it seems to put a lot more grip where you need it.

I mentioned I'm on stock tires. Yeah I do need better tires. I'm convinced the nismo LSD really helps prevents me from fishtailing, but I can tell my tires just don't have the needed grip to really do what the car can do. Same goes for suspension.

as far as the engine light, yeah I dunno it first came on after about an hour after visiting technosquare. Before that I had been driving about 4 or so hours and it didn't come on. They said the tilton was contributing to the problem but that it really wasn't that big of a deal. I am getting it checked out. When the light first came on, first thing I did was disconnect the battery and reconnect it to see if it was just a bogus light - figuring if it was an issue, it'd light up again after reconnecting the battery. It still came back on. So something's up. TS said to go a step colder with my spark plugs so that'll be the first thing I try as soon as I get the plugs.

on another note about the tilton, this is just common sense, but when you start your car, you HAVE to have your foot on the brake pedal or have the parking brake on at least. If you don't have the car locked down in place via brakes, the car WILL leap forward and you'll hit whatever's in front of you if you're starting the car in gear. IF you park in neutral it won't leap forward cause you're not in gear. I always park my car in gear and putting your foot on the brake when starting is 2nd nature, but just be careful to make sure your foot is on that brake pedal.

Last edited by sentry65; 12-11-2004 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:48 PM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by sentry65
on another note about the tilton, this is just common sense, but when you start your car, you HAVE to have your foot on the brake pedal or have the parking brake on at least. If you don't have the car locked down in place via brakes, the car WILL leap forward and you'll hit whatever's in front of you if you're starting the car in gear. IF you park in neutral it won't leap forward cause you're not in gear. I always park my car in gear and putting your foot on the brake when starting is 2nd nature, but just be careful to make sure your foot is on that brake pedal.
Do what????

If your clutch is depressed (which it has to be to even start the car) you will not have this problem. Per it won't be in gear... Even then, if you park in gear like I did... it's good habit to put it in neutral during the clutch depression before you start.

What are you trying to say... mine has NEVER leaped forward. I start it just like I did the OEM setup.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:10 PM
sentry65
the burninator

while being parked in 1st gear with the tilton street clutch, if you sit down, push the clutch down, and start the car, because the tilton catches immediatly with the footstop put in place, if you let your foot up just a little bit, it'll leap forward.

I've done it, I'm not making it up. So it's a safety precaution to have your foot on the brake whenever you start the car - which I'm sure most people do anyway so they don't go rolling forward or backward while the clutch is in.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:38 PM
lovetoclown

After Performance Nissan installed my Tilton, I do not have to press the clutch in to start the car. I always do, but I can start it without pressing in the clutch. I do not have any problems with my car leaping forward, but my clutch does not start to grab until I let almost all the way out.

Quick Reply: Tilton STREET-Clutch installed