Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

-- Quaife LSD -- ... want one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 08:43 PM
Skrill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#1 please. Would this diff chatter at low speeds like the Nismo one does.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:49 PM
G3po

Default chatter

Originally posted by Skrill
#1 please. Would this diff chatter at low speeds like the Nismo one does.
The chatter with a Nismo, Cusco etc etc is due to the "clutch plates " binding and releasing" at low speed. This design uses clutch plates so should not chatter. Hence a primary advantage of this design. THX723 please correct me if i'm inaccurate.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:50 PM
G3po

Default Re: chatter

Originally posted by G3po
The chatter with a Nismo, Cusco etc etc is due to the "clutch plates " binding and releasing" at low speed. This design uses clutch plates so should not chatter. Hence a primary advantage of this design. THX723 please correct me if i'm inaccurate.
Sorry typo...
This design uses "NO" clutch plates so should not chatter.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:27 AM
dklau33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Re: chatter

Originally posted by G3po
Sorry typo...
This design uses "NO" clutch plates so should not chatter.
That's correct. The Quaife is gear based so no clutch plates to wear down and make noises and chatter. Plus the activation of the Quaife is more seamless and not as intrusive as a clutch type lsd.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:50 AM
boones

Default difference between diff versions

Second, they've yet determine which model they will release initially. As you may or may not know, there are FOUR different versions of the Z/G differential:

1. MT tranny - vLSD
2. MT tranny - open
3. AT tranny - vLSD
4. AT tranny - open
Are all of these really as different as it seems from this list? IIRC the differences between diffs on the MT cars are the stub axles, bearings and seals. Nismo provides all of these parts in the box with their $900 replacement LSD so why couldn't quaife do the same, or just provide those parts for a nominal fee? Even at retail prices those parts are only about $400. I'm not as certain on the AT cars, but I seem to recall that an AT car has a different pinion gear in addition to the other parts mentioned.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:35 PM
THX723

Default Re: difference between diff versions

Sorry ... I've been far to busy browse the net. Thanks for the vote thus far guys

The tally so far ...

1. 8
2. 3
3. -
4. 2

keep em coming please.

Now to aswer a few questions that were raised.

Originally posted by Orange Peel
doesn't Quaife do a viscous coupling for those already with a vlsd. So you have two or something? I have heard of this on their website? Can you further explain?
Orange sounds like you got confused a bit
Our cars come with either no lsd (aka 'open diff') or 'viscous' LSD (aka vLSD). While vLSD is better than no LSD at all ... it is not a very good one by nature for high pefromance driving. One wheel will have to lose traction before it starts working (too late!) and the amount of torque transfered to the other wheel is far limiting when it starts working. So, the bottom line is to either add a Quaife for NON LSD guys or upgrade to the Quaife for the vLSD guys.

Originally posted by boones
Are all of these really as different as it seems from this list? IIRC the differences between diffs on the MT cars are the stub axles, bearings and seals.
That is absolutely correct. However, as a relatively small manufacture, Quaife isn't ready to shell out all the R&D and manufacturing cost to produce all necessary parts initially. That is my understanding anyhow ... and thus this poll. My hope through this is to continue to get the ball rolling. People in the past have initiated this, but for whatever the reason ... the ball had stop rolling.

Regarding question of whether the Quaife LSD will be noisy ... the answer is no. G3P0 and dKlau33 have done a good job explaining so. These are NON-clutch type LSD. Torque bias is automatically varied depending on load.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:28 PM
Skrill

Well -- Diff, Diff Cooler and 3.9 rear end are app part of my stage three of mods. If Quaiffe has a unit ready by then -- I'll buy it. Otherwise, I guess I will go Nismo.

Come on Quaiffe -- make me happy.

In case you care:

Stage 1: Tires, BBK, sways and wheels (to clear the BBK). This is what I figured was needed before the car was track ready (Wheels and tires are done, Stoptech 4-wheel kit goes on on Friday, and 350 Evo sways are ordered.

Stage 2: Go fast NA modes (Plenum, headers, cats, exhaust and ECU flash).

Stage 3: Rear end -- 3.9 ring and pinion, LSD (Nismo or Quaiffe) and Diff cooler.

At some point in there -- probably stage 1A -- I will be adding a power steering and oil cooler.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:33 PM
hungster

qualfe is one of the best companies for LSD, i had one on my old car and paid a ton for it, far more than their regular line up since they stop making them. It was worth every penny, eventually this will be one of my mods.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:25 PM
Jergens

I'd be in for a vLSD 6-speed. Do we have a preliminary price range yet?

~Josh
Old 10-24-2004, 10:06 PM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#1 please. Its either this or the ATS Carbon fiber one. But I would prefer the Quaife. Serious buyer.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:56 PM
nkohler

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

#2 please, i have a base model, but dont want a nismo clutch type LSD. Could buy today if quafie was a reality!
Old 10-27-2004, 12:40 AM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Put me down for one also (#4 OR #1)
Old 10-27-2004, 02:01 AM
mchapman

Anyone know a ruff estimate for this type of LSD?
Old 10-27-2004, 06:02 AM
Redfoot

Put me down for #1 Please.

Last edited by Redfoot; 10-27-2004 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:22 AM
boones

Originally posted by nkohler
#2 please, i have a base model, but dont want a nismo clutch type LSD. Could buy today if quafie was a reality!
I already cast my vote for #2, but this mod is especially important for the open diff cars. My 03 G35 6MT sedan is an open diff and I've been waiting for a gear based LSD for over a year and a half.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:42 AM
andyranck

#2 Please.

And if they release #1, ask Quaife to send me my VLSD back

PM me if they lost my address.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:07 AM
azrael

For those of you looking for the Quaife diff for open diff cars...

Quaife will more than likely end up doing the MT/VLSD option first. If you're willing to pay the price for a Quaife LSD, then it's not too outrageous to buy the stub axles, bearings, and seals to adapt it to the open diff cars.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:12 AM
boones

Originally posted by azrael

Quaife will more than likely end up doing the MT/VLSD option first. If you're willing to pay the price for a Quaife LSD, then it's not too outrageous to buy the stub axles, bearings, and seals to adapt it to the open diff cars.
Quaife should supply those parts, possibly at an additional charge that is somewhere below Nissan retail since they have additional buying power compared to a single consumer.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:30 AM
Skrill

Originally posted by azrael

What kind of price should we be expecting here? Keep in mind -- I would really love to have a Quaiffe. But we do have an excellent differential solution available already with the Nismo. I will pay more for the Quaiffe (the technology and silence is worth something) -- but if it's too much, I will just have to live with the clunkiness of the Nismo.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:15 AM
ColecatZ

I’ve read through this thread and I’m curious about one thing. How is this companies name pronounced? I’m reminded of a giggly cheerleader from south Alabama.

“hee hee, oops…. I quaifed”

Quick Reply: -- Quaife LSD -- ... want one?