Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Juat Another Veilside Version 1 Carbon Fiber Lip Horror Story

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 06:36 PM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Juat Another Veilside Version 1 Carbon Fiber Lip Horror Story

There is no way that thing is ever going to fit. In the process of trying to make it fit, I have basically scratched the hell out of my stock bumper. I was hoping that the fitament issues had improved, and I was very mistaken. I didn't get the instructions as far as where to file some off. I bought it from Performance Nissan, and at this point I am hoping they will let me return it as a manufacturer defect instead of having to go through Veilside. If anyone has any advice, I am open to it.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:15 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You sent me a PM about this 9 minutes before you posted this thread. It is 8PM Friday Night.

Since you decided to make this public and bring us into it I will share what I stated in my PM to you.

I will talk to Veil Side on Monday (when they open) to figure out exactly what to do with your cituation. We are not going to leave you in the dark.

Good customer service is seen when things go wrong when unfortunatly some times they do.

But some times it could also be installer error...

I will take care of this monday and let you know exactly what will happen..

Last edited by Jason@Performance; 02-11-2005 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in order to install the lip properly, you have to remove the stock bumper. I had the same issue with my Cwest, and it didn't seem like it was going to fit. I almost cracked it trying to put it on before I figured it out.
It's just a very snug and tight fit. the only way to do it right is to remove the bumper, and get at it that way, so you can sorta play with it.
it's not a defect that's how all the Japanese companies make their lips, very tight fitting, that's the perfect fitment people pay for.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:58 PM
isugoo

i don't know its installation issue or veilside's fitment issue, but i know one thing. since you bought it from performance nissan, they will do everything they can do.
lets finger crossed.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:08 PM
35oZephyR

My veilside lip was a PIA to get on as well. I almost tossed it into the street, swearing it was a defect.

I had to lift the front of the car up a bit with two jacks on the side and snug the lip underneath with some pillows while I tugged on both sides. The thing finally fitted, but damn was it a tight fit. Gravity can be a b1tch.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:26 AM
King Tut

I'm not blaming Performance Nissan at all. I just wanted to know if they could take care of it or if I go straight to Veilside. I was just letting people know the lip still has obvious issues, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone at this point. As far as taking the bumper off, I thought of that too and it didn't help. The lip just doesn't seem wide enough cause you have to squeeze both ends of the bumper in and then it still doesn't fit high enough on the bumper and the holes don't line up. I reached the same frustration level as 350ZephyR when I gave up last night. Right now the car sits with the bumper off all scratched up and the lip is lucky it isn't smashed in two pieces. Does anyone have the Veilside instructions that are supposed to come with the lip telling you how to modify it?
Old 02-12-2005, 08:21 AM
mofoz

even though i dont have a V1 lip, i kept this just in case.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:57 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hosted the instructions too thanks!

Old 02-12-2005, 01:59 PM
King Tut

Yeah I found those instructions too in a post by zeroday. That doesn't help, the bumper is still way too squeezed inside to ever get it to fit good and to get the holes to line up.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:46 PM
35oZephyR

I had the polyurethane and I stretched it in such wierd positions to put it on, I left a couple paint stretch marks on the side. Oh, and I scratched a little of the bottom of my car bumper too!

So yes...Polyurethane, fiberglass, carbonfiber...it all can be a PIA.

They definitely come out of the factory with variations because I've heard of so many people putting them on without any problems.

Damn you lucky bastards!

But once it was on, it looked so great I quickly forgot about the frustration. This was for polyurethane too! You wouldn't want to crack the CF/ fiberglass.
If I were you King Tut, I'd definitely try to find a replacement or find a very careful method of putting it on, with more hands than one or via a professional bodyshop. Don't force anything.
good luck!
Old 02-12-2005, 04:54 PM
King Tut

Yeah I definitely will have that lip on one day. I loved how it looked when I was attempting to install it. I just hope the next one fits better. I will take pics of what it did to my bumper tommorow.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Rayden2001

Originally posted by King Tut
Yeah I definitely will have that lip on one day. I loved how it looked when I was attempting to install it. I just hope the next one fits better. I will take pics of what it did to my bumper tommorow.
Yeah I mastered putting that lip on...need me to come over and do it for ya I found it easy to use masking tape on the areas where it rubbed on the stock bumper to avoid scratching it then cut off what ever was showing after I fitted it onto the car(this also prevents it from scratching it some if you bumped a curb ,since it will shift some when you make contact with it).Start by putting the bolts in from the middle going outward. If you leave some of the bolts out from the under valance on both ends of the bumper,it will allow you to push the bumper in some to fit the lip on fairly easy.
Just some methods to try next time to help you.

Last edited by Rayden2001; 02-12-2005 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:07 AM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

it's more than likely not a defect with the lip. not ruling it out though, but we've never had an issue where it was a factory defect, veilside is usually really good with it. It's just a very tight fit to get it on, trust me i know what you mean when you say "there's no way it will go on" because all of my lips that i've ever put on the Z, have been that way, this includes veilside, cwest and style king. Trust me, it's a pain to put on, but once it's on, it's on, and the reason being is that it's a snug fit, but proper fit. don't get too angry with it. Perhaps you should consider professional installation? certain installs are not for everyone. I'm not sure what your level of know how is so i'm not dissing you. Just saying, it will work....
Old 02-14-2005, 09:19 AM
King Tut

There is no way without cutting the bumper that the 4 bolt holes on the bottom will line up. Trust me, when I post the pics tonight of what we managed to do to the bumper you will see how tight it is and how we jammed it in as much as we could and still could only barely get the bolts in on one side with no hope of ever lining up the other side.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:29 PM
King Tut

Pics of my bumpers ownage :

Old 02-14-2005, 03:18 PM
35oZephyR

Ouch man....
The veilside will cover most of that up but that's still a whole lot of rough'age it did to your front bumper.

I had to force the screws underneath at ridiculous angles just to shape the polyurethane, scratching a little bit of the side tips like you.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:24 PM
E.F. VaBeach

Not wanting to pile on, but my urethane lip fit perfectly. That is, dead tight. Then again, it's the most flexible material option and you can twist it around when mounting it a lot more than CF or fiberglas. The challenge is to fit the topside, then not undo it when trying to align the mounting bolts underneath.

One thing that helped a whole lot in mounting it singlehandedly (with the bumper still on the car) was to temporarily screw a couple of headless studs into one of the two screw holes on each underside, that protruded down about an inch. These acted as "pins" to align beneath each side and better figure out the alignment and limit of the stretch. Once positioned on, I screwed in mounting bolts in the two remaining holes, then backed out the studs and replaced them with bolts. This worked for me doing it alone.

One more thing - only strip off about an inch of the lip mounting tape backing and leave it as a pull tab. Once you have the lower bolts in loosely, align the top and pull off the remainder of the tape backing and press the lip onto the bumper. The stock urethane bumper is pretty flexible, so any small gaps can be closed by heating and blocking the lip and bumper together for a few hours.

Good luck, hope this helps. This job can be a real *****, but the result is worth it. Hang in there.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:35 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Moved.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:44 AM
King Tut

Back to the top.