Sponsored by:

Tail light mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 05:21 AM
Old Skooler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail light mod

Hey guys,

I have to admit, my ONE disappointment with the Z is that the reflector section in the beautiful triangle rear lights doesn't light up! I thought it would look awesome at night with the whole thing lit up, does anyone have any ideas if changing the reflector section to a bulb section is feasible? If so, how much? Anyone tried this yet? Would it be legal or is there some stupid law saying tail lights have to be a certain shape?
Old 11-19-2002, 06:11 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also interested in this, though I don't have my car yet. Check out these two pages from Clearcorners.com; they specialize in custom show car lighting. They already have an LED conversion for the front bumper reflectors and the site states that they are interested in developing an LED conversion for bothe lower and upper tail lights and to inquire if interested. You could maybe get a deal for being the tester, but one ctch is that you have to send in your lights for the conversion. That would leave you without for several weeks, unless they have a "shop set" they could send you to use in the meantime. Still, this is the best option I've seen for what you want, and their pieces look like quality work. It would be worth it to check them out anyway.

http://www.clearcorners.com/projects/
http://www.clearcorners.com/products/nissan/350ZX3/
Old 11-19-2002, 11:07 AM
MustGoFastR

I e-mailed clearcorners.com earlier today and this is how it went:

me:
Hi- I was hoping to get some information on the LED tail light
modifications you are wanting to develop for the Nissan 350Z. I have not yet received my car, but am possibly interested in this modification. I am also a regular at the my350z.com forums, where other members have expressed interest in your products. My hopes are to gather as much information from you as
possible, so I may post it on the forum for other members, some
of which may be interested in purchasing or aiding in the development of these products. The information I would like to know is:

clearcorners:
Steve, thanks for your e-mail. Currently, we already have a 350Z owner assisting us with development for these projects. So you and the other forum members know, we are solely low-volume and are not interested in mass-production. Every light we work on is hand-fabricated and very detail oriented to ensure that each light is truly customized.

me:
1. will this conversion be for the upper portion of the tail light only, or will it include a re-working of the bottom section as well
to make the entire light LED (and if so, will an upper only conversion be available for lower cost, if it looks OK).

clearcorners:
Both lights (the upper tail lamps AND the lower rev/sig) will be sold separately.

me:
2. What would be involved for the person willing to use their car as the "test bed" for the development of the lights?

clearcorners:
This is not an option right now. Our project car has already been selected, it is a 03 Track Model (Silver) -- that is all I can share.

me:
3. What would the estimated cost be of the final product?

clearcorners:
Not yet available.

me:
4. Will there be an alternative to sending in our own tail lights and being without a drivable car for several weeks?

clearcorners:
Not right now. Cost on the tail lights is 300/ea and this is more than we are looking to invest in a core-set. Besides, we are only interested in offering our products to race/show owners. This will be a very intense tail light kit, not something the average street-car owner will want on their car.

me:
5. Will the conversion be street legal?

clearcorners:
Yes, we will be keeping the factory reflex reflectors within the tail
lights, so they will be street legal.

me:
If there is any other information about the tail lights or any of
your other products available for the 350Z that you think might be of interest to the very large population of Z owning forum members, please feel free to include it. I am not affiliated with the site, however information posted by members about various aftermarket products is highly sought after and is good (and free) advertisement. Any ifo. you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

clearcorners:
I appreciate your interest in our site/products. Keep in touch, we should have a full line for the Z33 by early 2003.

Respectfully,

Mike Mamos / www.ClearCorners.Com
1221 Riverside Drive
Burbank, CA 91506
Old 11-19-2002, 12:43 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

alright, so they dont have anything. thats fine, Im ok with the stock appearance.

and they are keeping the reflectors(apparently it is a legal issue) so that doesnt help you at all even if you could get your hands on a set.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:45 PM
Old Skooler

Eh, I just may get a wild hair up my *** and try something myself...thanks for the info guys.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:56 AM
old_s13

Originally posted by Old Skooler
Eh, I just may get a wild hair up my *** and try something myself...thanks for the info guys.
Yes, but just incase you dont find that wild hair (and I hope you dont), we offer a full line of highly customized products for the Z33 350Z, including high-intensity LED tail lights:

http://clearcorners.com/products/nissan/350ZX3/R_full/

Eat your heart out G35!

Oh and dont worry, we are working on a very unique headlight and tail light kit for the G35-C.. just because it comes with stock LED tail lights, doesnt mean they cant be enhanced and upgraded.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:19 AM
mcduck

That looks great! Keep us posted on cost and how long you would have to have our taillights to make the upgrade.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:00 AM
ares
Veteran

prices are on his website, and in another thread he mentioned he had a core set, which would mean if that set is available, you wouldnt be without your tail light at all.

give him an email.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:56 AM
Old Skooler

Damn, those are gorgeous. Now I just gotta make some money...
Old 06-24-2003, 10:31 AM
MY350Z.COM

DANG! That's expensive for hand modded lights. I'd expect it to be machine made for that price.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:21 PM
ranger5oh

Cool

Originally posted by Mike Wazowski
DANG! That's expensive for hand modded lights. I'd expect it to be machine made for that price.

Ummmm........ Since when are machine made more expensive than hand made? Sounds like someone missed the boat on the whole technical revolution!
Old 06-24-2003, 08:13 PM
racingdynamcs

Old 07-10-2003, 08:30 PM
3rdpower

SeveN FLIPPINNN HUNDRED DOLLARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Old 07-11-2003, 05:34 AM
alphared

I bet if they purchase a few tail lights and did the mod and sold it as a trade in it would sell whole lot better. IE. get a pre-order. get a down payment. buy the tail lights. mod them and have owners ship thier lights in while the mod ones ship out. continue to mod with owner's lights.
Its a risk, but thats business right?
Old 07-11-2003, 06:48 AM
ares
Veteran

they already have a set for that. atleast thats what he said, he has a modified set that he can send out with the deposit on them, and you send yours back, he just doesnt have it for the head light because those wear with age, and new doesnt wanna get the last guys old.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:42 AM
old_s13

Originally posted by ares
they already have a set for that. atleast thats what he said, he has a modified set that he can send out with the deposit on them, and you send yours back, he just doesnt have it for the head light because those wear with age, and new doesnt wanna get the last guys old.
You couldnt have said it better, Ares. Actually, we now have a shop set of all of the lights for the 350Z, minus the headlamps. Again, the reason for not stocking the headlamps is because of age and wear. Plus, we would have to stock the HID and Halogen versions of both lamps, not too ideal. However, I am keeping a lookout for damaged headlights so we can stock various internal components (bezel, signal, etc). If that works out, downtime can definately be reduced as we will be able to pre-modify most of the internals.

Oh and Ares, thanks.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:27 PM
little_rod

Well, I am usually against any exterior mod outside of rims that isn't factory. But this one is an exception, I really like these taillights. When I first saw the car, I thought that all of the taillight would work, and I was dissappointed that it didn't.

But $700 is just toooooooo much money for it. I will not pay that much, but for a lower price, I would definitely consider it. For that much money, I would rather get more horsepower or something.

Wonder how much it would be to replace the lights when they go out?? Hate to think about it.