Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When replacing the front orange reflectors with clear ones...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 05:49 AM
CrayZZZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When replacing the front orange reflectors with clear ones...

Do you have to take off the whole front in order to access the back of the reflectors?

Any help much appreciated.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:01 AM
westover

Default clear side marker install

No, you do not need to remove the front bumper, but it's a whole lot easier if you do. The drivers side is a snap to replace. The problem is the windshield washer bottle on the passenger side.

Removing the front bumper is easy there are only 3-4 screws to remove on each side plus the black snaps along the top. There are no electrical or mechanical connections to the front bumper. There are plenty of places on this forum and others describing the removal of the front bumper.

Good Luck
Old 05-03-2005, 11:43 AM
maxipad96

Yeah it is a pain in the butt. And if you have big hands.. don't even consider it.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:29 PM
bobS

damn i have big hands, i'm actually thinking of having the body shop do it when i install my v1 lip.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:24 AM
CrayZZZ

Awesome - thanks guys
Old 05-04-2005, 06:28 AM
Srivero297

Originally Posted by westover
No, you do not need to remove the front bumper, but it's a whole lot easier if you do. The drivers side is a snap to replace. The problem is the windshield washer bottle on the passenger side.

Removing the front bumper is easy there are only 3-4 screws to remove on each side plus the black snaps along the top. There are no electrical or mechanical connections to the front bumper. There are plenty of places on this forum and others describing the removal of the front bumper.

Good Luck
theres the black clips along the top, 2 screws in each side, plus about 6 screws on the bottom of the bumper where it connects to the mudguard.
After that, the bumper should just pop off and the new reflectors screw right in with two little black screws if I remember correctly.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:22 AM
350UZSB

I got the bottom clips and top clips under the hood off, but I could never find those clips in the wheel wells to take off the bumper...i ended up not taking it off and just used an offset screwdriver...passanger side i could only get one screw back in tho...
Old 05-06-2005, 02:00 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Ok, mine just came in and I also cannot figure out how the bumper comes off. Where are the screws/clips on the sides? I assumed they were in the wheel well but I cannot find them.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:06 AM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Bump...anyone? I'm getting anxious to get these things on and I can't fit my hands inside. That and the screws attaching mine appear to be some weird star screws instead of regular ones(not the first time I've run into these on this car).
Old 05-08-2005, 07:01 PM
350UZSB

I got a 2005 coupe and they had phillips slots...the star config are commonly seen on cars...just gotta have the right screwdriver head...but sorry i cant help you with the bumper, i had the same prob
Old 05-08-2005, 08:22 PM
mikedZ33

Originally Posted by Santacruzslick
Ok, mine just came in and I also cannot figure out how the bumper comes off. Where are the screws/clips on the sides? I assumed they were in the wheel well but I cannot find them.

There is definetly 1 or 2 srews inside the fender wells on each side of the bumper near the headlights that have not been mentioned yet. You'll have to pull back the inner fender plastic to get to them. Removing the wheels makes it alot easier to get to them.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:17 AM
TLHASTZ

Dude it's a little frustrating but it will work. I have big hands and it sucked until I found a screwdriver that was shaped like an allen wrench from autozone. That made getting the passenger side a whole lot easier.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:39 AM
HotImportGirl
Banned

Dude just crazy glue it. :P I was gonna get those clear ones but now sounds like a pain to install. Im sure my hands are smaller but I have long nails
Old 05-09-2005, 09:02 AM
Mantis3024

I didn't take off the whole bumper. I just unbolted the drivers' side and swung it out about 35 degrees and reached my hand in the passenger side
Old 05-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Ok....I put mine in the other day. Driver side is real easy...just turn the wheels all the way left and take off the front 1/2 of the wheel well. There's 3 plastic rivets and 2 screws. Then there are a few bolts under the car that hold from the bottom. Then you'll be able to reach inside and replace that one. Passenger side you have to remove the wheel well and then take out 3 bolts holding the bumper on as well as the bolts holding the plastic underbody panel on. Last step is to remove the 3 plastic rivets on the top of the bumper on the passenger side. Now you'll be able to pull that 1/2 of the bumper out enough to get to the reflector. It's probably easier to just take the entire bumper off so you don't have to contort your hands to get the screws for the reflectors on and off. They were on tight.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:39 AM
drhg

Just tried this last night by following this thread, just thought I would let you all know what I found. I completely removed the bumper to put in my smoke reflectors. If I didn't, I don't think I could have possibly reached the reflectors. Inside each wheel well, I found two silver screws and two pop rivets. I could not easily remove the rivets, so I removed them by force and did not put them back in afterwards...the two screws were enough to hold the piece in place anyways. Then there were about 10 screws along the bottom and 6 pop rivets on the top under the hood. In all, this took about 1.5 hours. At least half of that time was fussing with the pop rivets under the wheel wells. I have attached a pic of the results. You may also notice the vinyl overlays on my headlights, which I got from bluebatmobile. Those went on super easy so I ordered some more for the rear lights.
Attached Thumbnails When replacing the front orange reflectors with clear ones...-img_0328.jpg  
Old 07-23-2005, 10:15 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are 3 rivets; and they really should be replaced. they are not hard to remove; you need a flat head screw driver. youll see an inner circle; and outer ring with a cross pattern. stick the screw driver under the inner circle in the recessed area of the cross pattern; twist the screw driver; and the inside should pop out; then the whole thing will pull out. without popping the center first; it wont come out; thats how it works; its kinda like a drywall anchor thing.

I personally remove the wheel well; and I can see the whole reflector from underneith then. grab a very short screw driver(<2") and pretty thin. and your good. if not; you keep going and remove the bumper. its sorta like you go about removing the bumper and stop whenever you find you have enough clearance to do it.