Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM pedal install...holy arthritis!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 09:25 PM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OEM pedal install...holy arthritis!?

so I bought a set of the OEM Aluminum Pedals via Jason@Performancenissan.com's (thanks jason) current group buy. I can tell you that its a perfect set that comes with everything you need for the install (including the bushing and clip for the gas pedal which was something people might have had to fabricate with some previous kits). and jason really hooked me up with my order by getting me a great deal on shipping.

now the only thing that the kit doesn't come with are installation instructions, which really isn't necessary since its pretty much evident what goes where and how just by looking at it. but I did get some helpful hints by doing a search on the forum as well as getting some good pics of the install from a member named Jun (whom most of you are probably familiar with). so in celebration of my install I'll do a short "revamped" write up.

1. take out your clutch and brake pedal cover and start soaking them in hot water (one of the great secrets I learned from Jun who learned from a member named bear I think).

2. unscrew the 2 flathead screws holding the stock dead pedal in. they won't come all the way out, but you'll hear them click, then you should be able to just pull it off. the new dead pedal should just pop on with a slight push (now that was the easiest part).

3. next you'll need to look at the back of the stock gas pedal and you should see a plastic clip holding the top of the gas pedal to the gas pedal lever. you'll need to cut this off (I used an exacto knife) or unclip it using a flathead screwdriver. then the gas pedal should be able to fall foward and you can just pull it to the right and off the hinge that its on.

then take the new gas pedal and insert the new rubber bushing provided in the kit onto the new pedal (if you can't figure the way it goes in, you've got bigger problems) and slide it onto the hinge, then push the pedal back against the gas pedal lever and use the new plastic clip provided in the kit to latch the pedal to the lever.

4. now comes the hard part, get your clutch and brake pedals which should be nice and warm by now (you may want to bring them next to your car while still sitting in a container of hot water). getting the stock clutch and brake pedals off should be no problem, just push and pull a little and they should give. the real pain is getting the new ones on. its a little like fitting a hummer into a compact parking space. it just doesn't seem like its ever going to fit. but thats why we heat up the rubber before we try to stick it on the hard iron....right guys:P anyways all I tell you is that you just have to keep pushing and pulling. it also helps to use a small flathead screwdriver to pull those rubber lips out and around the pedal. I'd also be careful not to cut yourself or nick the plastic panels around your pedals while you are doing this. just be prepared to mess with this part for a little while.

all in all it took me about 30 mins with nearly 20 mins going just towards the clutch and brake pedals. good luck...and here are some pics of the final product.

Old 09-12-2005, 09:38 PM
narkotic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to 3 years ago
Old 09-12-2005, 09:40 PM
pyindeem

, I thought every z came with them. but hey enjoy it. I guess
Old 09-13-2005, 12:11 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Instead of soaking in hot water, I wonder if the old using hair spray method for installing bicycle and motorcyle grips would work.

It's slipery as snot when wet but dries like a mild adhesive.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:17 AM
showstoppertk

ok...I was trying to help out those who this write up might apply to, but good to know some folks who have nothing contructive to say care.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:59 AM
AndyS

Originally Posted by showstoppertk
so I bought a set of the OEM Aluminum Pedals via Jason@Performancenissan.com's (thanks jason) current group buy. I can tell you that its a perfect set that comes with everything you need for the install (including the bushing and clip for the gas pedal which was something people might have had to fabricate with some previous kits). and jason really hooked me up with my order by getting me a great deal on shipping.

now the only thing that the kit doesn't come with are installation instructions, which really isn't necessary since its pretty much evident what goes where and how just by looking at it. but I did get some helpful hints by doing a search on the forum as well as getting some good pics of the install from a member named Jun (whom most of you are probably familiar with). so in celebration of my install I'll do a short "revamped" write up.

1. take out your clutch and brake pedal cover and start soaking them in hot water (one of the great secrets I learned from Jun who learned from a member named bear I think).

2. unscrew the 2 flathead screws holding the stock dead pedal in. they won't come all the way out, but you'll hear them click, then you should be able to just pull it off. the new dead pedal should just pop on with a slight push (now that was the easiest part).

3. next you'll need to look at the back of the stock gas pedal and you should see a plastic clip holding the top of the gas pedal to the gas pedal lever. you'll need to cut this off (I used an exacto knife) or unclip it using a flathead screwdriver. then the gas pedal should be able to fall foward and you can just pull it to the right and off the hinge that its on.

then take the new gas pedal and insert the new rubber bushing provided in the kit onto the new pedal (if you can't figure the way it goes in, you've got bigger problems) and slide it onto the hinge, then push the pedal back against the gas pedal lever and use the new plastic clip provided in the kit to latch the pedal to the lever.

4. now comes the hard part, get your clutch and brake pedals which should be nice and warm by now (you may want to bring them next to your car while still sitting in a container of hot water). getting the stock clutch and brake pedals off should be no problem, just push and pull a little and they should give. the real pain is getting the new ones on. its a little like fitting a hummer into a compact parking space. it just doesn't seem like its ever going to fit. but thats why we heat up the rubber before we try to stick it on the hard iron....right guys:P anyways all I tell you is that you just have to keep pushing and pulling. it also helps to use a small flathead screwdriver to pull those rubber lips out and around the pedal. I'd also be careful not to cut yourself or nick the plastic panels around your pedals while you are doing this. just be prepared to mess with this part for a little while.

all in all it took me about 30 mins with nearly 20 mins going just towards the clutch and brake pedals. good luck...and here are some pics of the final product.

Thanks for the write-up, I also ordered the kit from Jason, hoping to install mine next week.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:26 AM
narkotic

I guess what I meant to say is, that nifty little search button would have shown a write up, although I don't think putting rubber pedals on requires more time writing a writeup than it does installing the damn things.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:12 PM
showstoppertk

Originally Posted by narkotic
I guess what I meant to say is, that nifty little search button would have shown a write up, although I don't think putting rubber pedals on requires more time writing a writeup than it does installing the damn things.
True, and as I mentioned in my post I borrowed some info from those previous write-ups. I also mentioned that this is a slightly different kit from the previous generation (3 yrs ago as you mentioned) so I figured that it might benefit those who are doing the GB via Performance Nissan. What I didn't expect is crap from those who this doesn't and in your case (being that you have a g35 which all came with the aluminum pedals) never applied to. Speaking of which, how many of these pedal installs have you done? This is not meant as disrepectful or doubting of your abilities (in fact I think your G is sweet) but I don't see the reason in going into a post that obviously doesn't apply to you and making a derogatory remark.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:28 PM
35oZephyR

Nice write-up Showstoppertk,

Even though I've seen many writeups on this in the past, it's always helpful to other new owners to get an updated article to show up when they "Search" for it.

It also indicates that a certain member has just gone through the process of installing something, so you'd be the right person to PM if anyone has any immediate concerns.

Not everyone can follow one "archaic" method or efficiently pull them up in a search.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:55 PM
showstoppertk

35oZephyR-thanx...
Old 09-13-2005, 04:58 PM
SvR350z

A heat gun works much better than putting those things in warm water.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:39 PM
05-Z

nice write up man, don't worry about the haters.

pedal installs are a beeyotch!
Old 09-13-2005, 09:49 PM
livinitup731

Thank you very much for the write up. I read the other ones, and gave up because it was a ***** getting the clutch and brake ones on. I will try the heat trick. Hey narkotic, quit being a douche.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:28 PM
mrZeee

wd-40 aided me...but didn't help the dime sized blister on my finger tip...
Old 09-14-2005, 12:21 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by showstoppertk
so I bought a set of the OEM Aluminum Pedals via Jason@Performancenissan.com's (thanks jason)

Your Welcome!

But please no one try emailing that address!

performancenissan . com is NOT US!

we are www.performancenissanparts.com or mynismo.com

my email is jasonm@perfnissan.com

our main dealer site is www.perfnissan.com

Your welcome though! and the coupon code is PEDALMDISCOUNT for Manual and PEDALADISCOUNT for automatic...

PS Good Writeup!