Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vented hoods, CF and other junk

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Oleg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vented hoods, CF and other junk

My hopes of having my car parked in the garage have gone down like the Hindenburg over Lakehurst (can't clear driveway, even on stock height, at angle or otherwise). Certain thing on my shopping list must be revised. We do snowstorms in winter and rainstorms in fall (oh, Californians, don't get too happy, we don't get earthquakes, just kidding) Anyway, to keep the engine bay temps down (getting TN ST) I was planning to get a vented hood (like veilside stage 3 or the one from Power Enterprise). So, how does carbon fiber stand up to elements? What about fiberglass? If I make a cover to stretch over the hood to keep the elemental crap out, what will the trapped moisture do to the paint? Maybe I should just cut vents into the stock hood. I know it's aluminium, so rust is not an issue, but aluminium is such a bastard to do any kind of fabrication on... Either way it sucks... Which way sucks less?
Old 11-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

all the vented hoods that i've seen weigh more than stock... disappointing.. and some even limit the use of the stock strut bar ...

depending on the mfg, and the resin they use. CF will hold up relatively well in direct sunlight and rain... not quite sure about snow since with snow you have salt and with salt, everything gets jacked up...

you'll probably be happier with cutting your stock hood and venting it that way, or buying a stock OEM style hood and adding your own holes.. which is what i'd mostlikely do...

if u vent ur aluminum hood, the body shop will most likely need to repaint the surface to prevent corosion.. OR if you cut louvers into the hood they will probably use fiberglass to make the side pieces.. either way. you'll need a repaint and with that you should be ok to the elements.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:01 PM
nickintempe

I'd mod the driveway...
Old 11-04-2005, 06:05 PM
Oleg

Modding the driveway is it out of the question. There 13 other families in the condominium. The board will never allow it.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:26 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Nissan cover is a lifesaver. About $200.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Oleg

You know, I heard that these covers do more harm then good by trapping moisture inside. I may be wrong though...
BTW what do you guys think of this hood?
http://www.350zonline.com/store/cust...cat=128&page=1
Old 11-04-2005, 06:29 PM
Oleg

nice, simple and clean, no?
Old 11-05-2005, 02:40 AM
disturbed2483

very clean, but a couple peeps had problems with stock strut bat clearance
Old 11-05-2005, 05:33 AM
Queens 350z

Originally Posted by Oleg
My hopes of having my car parked in the garage have gone down like the Hindenburg over Lakehurst (can't clear driveway, even on stock height, at angle or otherwise). Certain thing on my shopping list must be revised. We do snowstorms in winter and rainstorms in fall (oh, Californians, don't get too happy, we don't get earthquakes, just kidding) Anyway, to keep the engine bay temps down (getting TN ST) I was planning to get a vented hood (like veilside stage 3 or the one from Power Enterprise). So, how does carbon fiber stand up to elements? What about fiberglass? If I make a cover to stretch over the hood to keep the elemental crap out, what will the trapped moisture do to the paint? Maybe I should just cut vents into the stock hood. I know it's aluminium, so rust is not an issue, but aluminium is such a bastard to do any kind of fabrication on... Either way it sucks... Which way sucks less?
I'm from Queens so i know how much this weather sucks in NY. I say you save your money that you would spend on the hood and just buy a winter beater. Driving the Z in the snow SUCKS.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:59 AM
Roger V

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you have someone fix your driveway?
Old 11-05-2005, 06:35 AM
Cambelsoop

the problem with buying a winter ebater is insuring it.. and insuring the Z and a winter beater in NY, especialy brooklyn is almost impossible for a young guy. im 23 and they want an absurb amount for me to insure a 93 jeep wragler with a 2.5 motor...

crazy. making payments on my z, insuring my z, insuring my bike, and insuring a winter beater for 6 months means im gonna need a third job. i dont sleep as it is

i feel for u living in brooklyn and trying to insure a car is terrible...
Old 11-05-2005, 10:05 AM
zachcrosen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cambelsoop
the problem with buying a winter ebater is insuring it.. and insuring the Z and a winter beater in NY, especialy brooklyn is almost impossible for a young guy. im 23 and they want an absurb amount for me to insure a 93 jeep wragler with a 2.5 motor...

crazy. making payments on my z, insuring my z, insuring my bike, and insuring a winter beater for 6 months means im gonna need a third job. i dont sleep as it is

I was 24 when I bought a beater last fall. I bought a '91 miata and used it as my primary driver and the Z became my recreational vehicle. My insurance went from $950 for the Z alone to $650 with the Z and the Miata. I also use Geico for my insurance and have not had any issues with them. I would recommend you look into this option.

Zach
Old 11-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by disturbed2483
very clean, but a couple peeps had problems with stock strut bat clearance
Do any other bars work?
Old 11-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by Cambelsoop

Thanks.
Actually, it's not as bad as it was before I hit 25. I am not afraid to keep the car outside, I have done it for 2 winters already. But this spring I am doing a lot of work to the car, now that I have bought the condo. I was concerned about the FMIC from the TN ST and vented hood not being too suitable for being outside under snow.