Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED turn signal clusters

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 04:32 PM
Acree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trescincuenta
I am definitely down to buy a set off you when you get it workign acree. My g/f is buying me the JDM optional half clear LED taillights too

haha, i never said anything about offering these for sale. that one is still WAY up in the air. the materials for these conversions cost almost 300 bucks. then you add about 80 hours of labor or more, on top of that, and the price goes up to 700+ real quick. but i am using the top of the line led's that can currently be bought. the turn signal leds are genuine superflux leds from luxeon, and the reverse LEDs are Luxeon 3 Watt Stars.

hockey - the thing that got me started was just having some leds laying around and experimenting. then experimenting with things on the car. the only link i can give you that will help any is the led forums at hidplanet. hang around that site long enough and you will learn just about everything.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:39 AM
PeteNJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Acree
haha, i never said anything about offering these for sale. that one is still WAY up in the air. the materials for these conversions cost almost 300 bucks. then you add about 80 hours of labor or more, on top of that, and the price goes up to 700+ real quick. but i am using the top of the line led's that can currently be bought. the turn signal leds are genuine superflux leds from luxeon, and the reverse LEDs are Luxeon 3 Watt Stars.

hockey - the thing that got me started was just having some leds laying around and experimenting. then experimenting with things on the car. the only link i can give you that will help any is the led forums at hidplanet. hang around that site long enough and you will learn just about everything.

Acree,

Finally someone doing a proper LED retrofit! Luxeon LEDs cannot be beat and the stars blow away any other form of LED in terms of output. Very Nice!

I hear you about all the labor and the costs of the tools/materials. I just completed a projector retro + CCFL clearance strip and one week into it I find out you can get 06 headlights (bi xenon projectors) for $580. It took me over a month and 50+ hrs of labor.

I also made custom LED clear corner lights out of superflux LEDs from superbrightleds.com You can see them in this pic:

Old 11-19-2005, 04:41 AM
PeteNJ

Originally Posted by PeteNJ
Acree,

Finally someone doing a proper LED retrofit! Luxeon LEDs cannot be beat and the stars blow away any other form of LED in terms of output. Very Nice!

I hear you about all the labor and the costs of the tools/materials. I just completed a projector retro + CCFL clearance strip and one week into it I find out you can get 06 headlights (bi xenon projectors) for $580. It took me over a month and 50+ hrs of labor.

I also made custom LED clear corner lights out of superflux LEDs from superbrightleds.com You can see them in this pic:

EDIT: Ooops...just noticed you are acree from HIDplanet. haha, so you have seen my stuff already. ANyways, I would love to see how you wired up the stars as I am thinking of using them in a home related project. I can't wait to see your final results!
Old 11-19-2005, 06:30 AM
Acree

Originally Posted by PeteNJ
EDIT: Ooops...just noticed you are acree from HIDplanet. haha, so you have seen my stuff already. ANyways, I would love to see how you wired up the stars as I am thinking of using them in a home related project. I can't wait to see your final results!
yeah pete i've seen your stuff on hidplanet. very nice work, and good idea with the CCFL strip. the stars actually run at 350mA a piece. i bought a driver from taskled. it's a current regulator that holds a current of 1000mA. i ran 3 of them in series. and omg they are bright. i will have 6 when it's all said and done. i should be able to see EVERYTHING while i'm backing up.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:11 PM
HockeyZ39

Hey Acree, how did you get the PCB to curve to fit the inside of the light? Can you take some front and back pictures of your board without the lens over it?

I am going to be attempting something similar to this for my first LED adventure! Also I am not to clear on how the luxeon stars work, do they go on the PCB just like the other LED's or are they already mounted?

56 amber superflux LED's? Isn’t that going to be real bright? Are you going to dim them? What are you using for the reverse lights BTW? I want to get EXTREEMLY bright reverse lights cuz it’s always a pain backing up in the dark. Anyways TIA for any help!
Old 11-20-2005, 08:30 PM
Acree

Originally Posted by HockeyZ39
Hey Acree, how did you get the PCB to curve to fit the inside of the light? Can you take some front and back pictures of your board without the lens over it?

I am going to be attempting something similar to this for my first LED adventure! Also I am not to clear on how the luxeon stars work, do they go on the PCB just like the other LED's or are they already mounted?

56 amber superflux LED's? Isn’t that going to be real bright? Are you going to dim them? What are you using for the reverse lights BTW? I want to get EXTREEMLY bright reverse lights cuz it’s always a pain backing up in the dark. Anyways TIA for any help!

the housing is already sealed, but they aren't curved. it is 3 seperate straight sections. the luxeons were epoxied to the pcb. i will have a vinyl overlay over the housing to get it to match my tail lights. no, i will not dim them. the backup lights are 6 luxeon 3 watt stars.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:36 PM
enderokc

Originally Posted by Acree
hah... i have something in the making that will blow you guys away. here's a teaser pic of what i'm working on. can anyone say "Sequential?"
sorry to bring back an old thread, but have you finished your project yet?? I am very interested on how this turned out!! please post some pics!!
Old 01-10-2006, 02:31 PM
boogiemyke

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ght=sequential
Old 01-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Acree

Watch the video.