Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue Bat's Overlays: Install, Photos, Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 01:16 PM
syf0n

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Blue Bat's Overlays: Install, Photos, Review

After several weeks, I finally had time to sort out the rest of my overlay issues, so I thought I'd post up my pictures and thoughts.

For starters, I have had a set of the rear blinker overlays for some time now -- at least a year and a half. I also had a set of the front sidemarker overlays for a while, but those bubbled prematurely so I had to tear them off. At any rate, here were my original blinker overlays:

They were the two tone red-black overlays. I loved them to death, but thought that perhaps I should do what I originally intended, which was to tint the rear of the car all black...so a few weeks ago, I ordered the proper overlays from Andy.

I recieved the new overlays in short fashion, and applied the tail light overlays (ZT1) about a week ago. Halfway through the install, I ran into an issue: while removing one of the overlays from its backing, the backing tore in half and shredded with half of it remaining on the overlay and no feasible way to remove it! I soaked it in water hoping the backing might float off, but to no avail. So....one of my tail overlays was trashed because the backing was cheap and didn't come away properly. 'Alright,' I though to myself, 'I can handle that. I'll just email Andy and see what he says.' After a couple of emails back and forth, Andy agreed to send me a second set of tail light overlays at a discounted price. Great! I ordered them, went on vacation for Thanskgiving, and returned to find my new overlays in the mailbox.

Two days ago, I had a go at applying them...only to be completely and utterly dissapointed. Following the instructions to a "T" and using all of the required equipment to make it go smoothly, my overlays were riddled along the edges with hard creases, and as of late this afternoon (after a few days of waiting and leaving the car in the sun) were plagued by dozens of tiny bubbles which I can't explain at all. There was even an odd "thin" spot where the tint appeared to be significantly thinner (or clearer) than the rest of the overlay!

Where did I go wrong?!? I spent hours applying these things and going over them with a fine-toothed comb. The warm and soap, the (girlfriend's) hairdryer...everything. I followed every instruction precisely, and did so in an environment completely free of dust after having washed the car and tail lights meticulously -- even going so far as to clay the tail lights in an effort to remove every possible bit of dust and dirt! I have applied other such overlays with total success to a handful of cars, applied other overlays to this car with total success, applied window tint with no problems, and done tons of mechanical and aesthetic work on the car which is much more delicate and time consuming. I understand the concept of patience and application by an even hand -- in my line of work, which is largely artistic, significant amounts of time are devoted to what amounts to little...in other words, I'm used to things taking a lot of time and effort to pay off or get right. So why the trouble here? I just don't get it.

The worst part of this for me is that as frustrated as I am, I wish this would have worked out -- I absolutely love the look of these things on my car (even took a few photos today, shown below, before I tore them off) but cannot stand the way they look with the tiny bubbles or warping all through them, creases up the edges, etc.

So...what do I do? So far this has been a total blow of more than $60 dollars to me -- and that's the initial, not counting the hours of time I have spent installing and then subsequently removing three of these from my car. Do I try to order another set? Have someone else install them? I'm at a loss.

For what it's worth, here are a few photos of my car with the overlays installed before I removed them. I think they look awesome, although these images were taken far enough away that you cannot see the tacky bubbles and other various imperfections.

Old 12-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Blue Batmobile
Inventor
Blue Batmobile

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The issue is that you didnt remove all of the moisture. It's important to really squeegy everything out! Did you look at my install guide in the Link below?

Bat™

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34653

You might want to have a tint shop do the install next time.

Last edited by Blue Batmobile; 12-01-2005 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:00 PM
syf0n

I followed your guide like my life depended on it! Used several high intensity lights to light the overlay from several angles while I was working it in order to make absolutely certain I wasn't missing anything...I spend a little more than an hour working over each overlay after I had laid it on and gotten it straightened out.

Also, instead of using a credit card I used a rubber tint application thing that a friend of mine with a tint & decal shop once gave me.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:03 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its really an acquired skill. flat areas are easy, but curved ones require more finesse. work from the center outward. i found i was better able to control the film by using only my fingers. poke bubbles with a pin. they flatten right down.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:25 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know how you feel, I followed the directions to a T as well, but I ended up with some creases in the overlays(tail-lights). I kept them though, you can only see them when your within a few feet of the car, I love how they look, just wish they hadnt creased on the edges.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:01 AM
Blue Batmobile
Inventor
Blue Batmobile

Originally Posted by syf0n
I followed your guide like my life depended on it! Used several high intensity lights to light the overlay from several angles while I was working it in order to make absolutely certain I wasn't missing anything...I spend a little more than an hour working over each overlay after I had laid it on and gotten it straightened out.

Also, instead of using a credit card I used a rubber tint application thing that a friend of mine with a tint & decal shop once gave me.
the problem wityh the rubber ones is that they dont always get all the moisture out. They are made for window tinting. pm me, I can give you another deal on a 3rd set .

Bat™
Old 12-02-2005, 09:15 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

i found out that using a heat gun will help a lot.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:46 PM
MustGoFastR

I've been kind of wary of putting mine on until warmer weather. I think it'll go alot better with some good 'ole TX heat and sun to bake out the tiny bubbles. This stuff sounds like it acts like clear bra material, which goes on better in warmer months as well. Think I'll hold off until spring.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:04 PM
black_03

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
I've been kind of wary of putting mine on until warmer weather. I think it'll go alot better with some good 'ole TX heat and sun to bake out the tiny bubbles. This stuff sounds like it acts like clear bra material, which goes on better in warmer months as well. Think I'll hold off until spring.

same here i will just have to wait till sometime after the begining of the year when winter is over
Old 12-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

doesn't matter of the weather. All you need is the heat gun to warm up the film so they can stretch out to fit on those curves.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:29 PM
tran03

I did my front side markers first. They looked pretty good and easy enough to do. I then moved onto the rear taillights and when I got started, I knew it was something that I'd f*** up.

With a lot of patience, and trial and error, I was able to get it on right.

As bat said, dont worry too much about air bubbles, just make sure all the moisture is out.

You might ask, how can you do trial and error? Well, keep the thing wet! dish washing soap + a little water and the thing slides around like its on oil.

But once the water is out from underneath, that overlay is there to stay!!!

I did what Bat recommended, don't worry about the air bubbles until the end. Pop them, squeeze all air out, and you are good to go.

I'm going on 8 months now, cold weather, lots of car washes, scrubbing..and not a single lift/tear/damage to the overlays.

I'm sorry about your luck, but this is just what goes with getting overlays.

If you can't find the patiences for it, or believe you'll mess it up again or the product is not worth your time, then painted smoke lights from the inside is always available for double/triple the price.

Not trying to be an ***, I'm just giving you some options.

GL with whatever route you choose to go with.

But dear god, do not keep the stock red tailights!!!

Tony
Old 12-10-2005, 05:35 AM
Blue Batmobile
Inventor
Blue Batmobile

Glad to hear that Tony. It's funny, I get emails from my customers months, even years telling me how well my Overlays have held up in extreme weather, carwashes...Got any pics?

Bat™