Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50% tint?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 09:06 AM
benchi445

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50% tint?

Im getting my windows tinted on thursday,and Im thinking about doing 20% all around with 50% on the front windshield.Would 50 even make enough of a difference to spend an extra $60?I want to do 35% up front,but Im not sure if that would be too dakr.Does anyone have any pictures with either of those two tints?
Old 01-16-2006, 09:18 AM
yorky500

Are you allowed to tint ya front windshield? I thought our cars came with a certain % tinted. 50% sounds a bit harsh, to be honest.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:19 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Maryland tint laws state 35% maximum of the light transmitted through the glass. If you go with 35% tint on top of the factory tint you're going to be beyond this limit.

To hell with the couple hundred dollar fix-it ticket I would be worried about my insurance company discovering an illegal tint following an accident and arguing in court that it was a contributing factor on a quarter million dollar accidental death judgement to dodge their responsibility.

If you want to see some real sharks have a look at your oh so friendly insurance companies lawyers once you have an accident.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:08 AM
ANXIOUZ

I don't think it's legal to tint the front window in any state. You can maybe put a 6" strip along the top but that's it.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:02 PM
FairladyZX

Just pick the clear tint for the windshield. F the law.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:48 PM
thReeFiFtee

Do it, do it! lol..
Old 01-16-2006, 07:29 PM
nofeardude87

Do not go for the 35% tint in the front windshield. I heard driving with 35% on the front at night is like driving with sunglasses on during the night. back in hawaii, people with even 50% tint on their front windshield would get caught somehow and in hawaii if u get caught with tint on the front windshield the punishment is much more serious than regular illegal tint on the side windows.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:37 PM
FatBoy1

50 on he windshield 35 everywhere else.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:21 PM
mutock

Your a fool to put anything on the windshield, regardless of the law.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:18 AM
My03'G35

I got 35% side and back, and nothing on the front. But I couldn't imagine anything being on the windsheild b/c my back is so dark.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:59 AM
zsr22

Originally Posted by Paul350Z

To hell with the couple hundred dollar fix-it ticket I would be worried about my insurance company discovering an illegal tint following an accident and arguing in court that it was a contributing factor on a quarter million dollar accidental death judgement to dodge their responsibility.
Exactly. Having illegal tint on the side windows is one thing, having your windshield tinted is another. If I had a family member killed in a car accident and I found out the driver at fault had his windshield tinted I would certainly pursue further actions against him, legal and civil.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:01 AM
UofA350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by benchi445
Im getting my windows tinted on thursday,and Im thinking about doing 20% all around with 50% on the front windshield.Would 50 even make enough of a difference to spend an extra $60?I want to do 35% up front,but Im not sure if that would be too dakr.Does anyone have any pictures with either of those two tints?
Benchi, I've got my windshield and all of my windows tinted 35%. Let me know if you want to see more pictures, hope it helps.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:10 AM
jamnew

Tint chart, state by state http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/S...aw%20Chart.htm
Old 01-17-2006, 11:39 AM
Driven1
Professional

This is the truth about tinting (from a window tinter). If you would like to see pics of tinted vehicles we have a few at our website, www.FreshDesignsInc.com We are located in College Park, MD and have been in the business for over 15 yrs. To answer your questions...1) 35% is the Maryland state legal limit for passenger vehicles (i.e. cars) For SUV's and trucks the laws are different. 2) In order to actually obtain a legal 35% on the windows, a film of 40% or lighter must be used to offset the factory tint on ALL automotive glass of about 78%. 3)The laws regarding widshields are pretty straight forward. It is a felony in the 3rd degree to have your windshield tinted, and they can technically impound vehicles with the widshield tinted (fully tinted, not a sun strip). Although I have been tinting windshields for a long time (one of the first to do it in one piece) I have yet to hear of someone actually having their vehicle impounded. With insurance, be very careful, if the windshield is tinted, you can automatically be at fault regardless of circumstance. In the Baltimore are if you are going to tint it, keep it light for now, if at all. The police are kinda hot right now as far as windshilds are concerned. Also, $60 is a really good price if they are doing good quality work.

Also, do you use an E-ZPass or Fast Toll? These will not work with many darker, better quality films due to the fact that they are metalized. No metal = working Smart-Tag/Fast-Toll.

My recommendation would be to tint the vehicle lightly. I have 20% on my Daytona Blue Z right now with a Black interior and its pretty dark. For the lighter interior cars I would recommend a 30% if you want darker than legal. You will be able to make out a silhouette but no details. For lighter interiors go with the 20% the light interior lightens up the appearance outside the car.

If you get pulled over and you have illegal window tint...TURN YOUR INTERIOR LIGHTS ON! This helps the police see into the vehicle which is their main concern. You stand less of a chance getting a repair order.

RARELY will you get pulled over for your tint alone. Most of the time you have done something else to break the law. In this case I will take a tint repair order over the speeding/driving infraction any day!

A little warning! Beware of the $100 or discount tint places. You get what you pay for. We charge more, but its for a reason. We warranty our work with a GENUINE LIFETIME WARRANTY (as long as you have your reciept). This covers bubbling, peeling, cracking, and fading. And YES, if you bring your car back 10yrs later with the tint peeling for no apparent reason we WILL repalce it for free. (It has happened)

BEWARE OF THE QUALITY OF FILM AND TECHNICIAN!

When you pay for your tint, you are actually paying for the installers experience and expertise. Computer cut film is great, however it will never beat a tinter with experience. If you dont believe it, we will prove it to you. Bring us a car with a computer cut window and we'll show you that we can do it MUCH BETTER. The work if done correctly should have LESS than 1/10" of an inch gap around the edge of the window at any point. It should be so close you should have to look twice to tell if its factory or not.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:14 PM
classic6

In order to actually obtain a legal 35% on the windows, a film of 40% or lighter must be used to offset the factory tint on ALL automotive glass of about 78%. 3)

this is not true. i have 35% on my sides and back windows and was pulled over three weeks ago. the tested my windows with the tint meter and it came up to 34.8%. i was not issued a ticket because the state of Maryland offers a 2% difference due to factory tint.

oh my front windshield is tinted with 50%. the officer did not notice. here are some pics..
Attached Thumbnails 50% tint?-nismo-3.jpg   50% tint?-nismo-8.jpg  
Old 01-18-2006, 12:06 AM
FatBoy1

Originally Posted by FatBoy1
50 on the windshield 35 everywhere else.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:18 AM
Driven1
Professional

Originally Posted by classic6
In order to actually obtain a legal 35% on the windows, a film of 40% or lighter must be used to offset the factory tint on ALL automotive glass of about 78%. 3)

this is not true. i have 35% on my sides and back windows and was pulled over three weeks ago. the tested my windows with the tint meter and it came up to 34.8%. i was not issued a ticket because the state of Maryland offers a 2% difference due to factory tint.

oh my front windshield is tinted with 50%. the officer did not notice. here are some pics..

If you tinted it yourself, Im not sure what film you used. (A cheaper film?...possibly but highly unlikely to create those results) If you had it done somewhere else, then you make want to check the box and the VLT on the box. If you came to my shop and asked for "35%" or "legal tint" Im putting 40% not 35%. Now lets think about this. All automotive glass is tempered, (it even says it on the glass) which is a factory tint. In order to get a .2% VLT differential like you said, the windows would have to be perfectly clear (you would lose the .2% due to the thickness of the glass). Its for this reason that I no longer stock a 35% film, its not legal and almost pointless to have when a 30% (for those who want to stay close to legal, but just a little more darker) is much more popular and produces only a slightly darker look than the 35% which still meters out illegal. A metered window with a true 35% film on it will NOT meter to a MD state legal 35% and NOT fall between the 2% difference allowed.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:56 AM
classic6

i checked with him before a posted the other day and he verified that it was a 35% film. i will see him friday and will get the brand and info of the tint for you. my experience proves that a 35% film on a 350z passed the MD state law. just to let you know, i am not trying to be a dick just sharing my experience with tint and the law.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Driven1
Professional

Not a problem man. Your experience s definitely noted, and I am definitely curious to here what you find out. You never know.