Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

autotechnic cf mirrors loose pivot point?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 10:46 AM
jdm3fiddyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default autotechnic cf mirrors loose pivot point?

I recently got the autotechnic cf mirrors and i was wondering if you guys that have them are having the same problem i am. The pivot point where the ball joint is is kinda loose on the drivers side. The wind blows the mirror in when im on the higway and im tryin to find a way to fix it. Any ideas?
Old 05-14-2006, 12:35 PM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdm3fiddyZ
I recently got the autotechnic cf mirrors and i was wondering if you guys that have them are having the same problem i am. The pivot point where the ball joint is is kinda loose on the drivers side. The wind blows the mirror in when im on the higway and im tryin to find a way to fix it. Any ideas?
I'm having this problem too.. but mine is the passenger side mirror.. it has gotten worst and it won't stand up at all now.. my solution is to epoxy glue it lol
Old 05-14-2006, 01:09 PM
jdm3fiddyZ

yeah i was thinkin to just put a drop of super glue in there after i set it into the right spot. I figure ill still have some adjustability from the other points. Anyon got anymore thoughts?
Old 05-14-2006, 01:48 PM
momo 350z

isnt there a alen head bolt holding it in place under the mirror part that you can tighten?
Old 05-14-2006, 01:50 PM
jdm3fiddyZ

i tried doin that too, ive tighten it alot already w/ no results, so i gave up on that idea
Old 05-14-2006, 04:17 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Try some locktite.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:13 PM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by momo 350z
isnt there a alen head bolt holding it in place under the mirror part that you can tighten?
I've tried that too.. no difference.. I've tried rotating the collar around.. maybe it will change the soft spot.. nada..

I would ask for a refund or exchange but I'm tired of taking the door panels off.. so epoxy glue it will be.. but if i do this, the mirrors will work for me only ... if someone else taller or shorter drives my car they will be in trouble..

Now if the temps would only get warmer and this damned rain would stop I could actually get around to using the epoxy..!!!

--mike

PS.. last time i ever buy replica goods!!! I'm now 2 for 2 as I had issues with the Shine Air Duct too...
Old 05-14-2006, 06:47 PM
jdm3fiddyZ

well, guess ima go w/ the drop of crazy glue in there. We'll see what happens then.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:43 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

autotechnic cf mirrors are replica of which product?
Old 05-15-2006, 12:20 AM
SomeGuywitha-Z

Originally Posted by jdm3fiddyZ
well, guess ima go w/ the drop of crazy glue in there. We'll see what happens then.

No need, all you need to do is make sure it's bolt on tight with the hex screw
Old 05-15-2006, 12:41 AM
veilside350zTT

hmm this is kinda making me think to not get the Autotechnic.. Keep us posted on what it takes to fix them.. If it takes glue thats pretty lame.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:37 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubble
autotechnic cf mirrors are replica of which product?
Craftsquare mirrors. Of which I might add, have had no issues at speeds of 150 mph and above.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:28 AM
05-Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the APR mirrors on my old car, and had the exact problem. I even brought them to a fabricator to find out if they could be welded.

I understand that adjustability is important, but a fixed mounting post would be superior design, IMO.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:55 AM
jdm3fiddyZ

Originally Posted by SomeGuywitha-Z
No need, all you need to do is make sure it's bolt on tight with the hex screw
The hex screws only hold the base onto the door, and one hex screw is on top of the mirror itself that lets it turn left and right. The ball joint however doesnt have an adjustable screw
Old 05-15-2006, 10:11 AM
gringott

I understand that the ball joint is causing the loose problem. A fix, if this is the problem, is to drill a small hole in the socket and tap it for a set screw. Not real complicated, no need for welding. Yes, if it is necessary, it is a hassle, but as there is a $400 difference in price between the two mirrors, I think having someone drill and tap two tiny holes will end up being a lot cheaper. Bottom line, I wouldn't buy the Craftsquare mirrors, period. This way I can have something that looks very much the same, at a greatly reduced cost. If they were of the exact same quality, the prices would be much closer.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:29 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

if the pivot arm is loose, i think you can adjust the ball stub pressure by pushing up against the ball from the inside with the screw- by pushing the ball up into the crown of opening, you're applying more friction to it..

i just bought my paint and primer for the base.. when i take off the mirrors i'll see if there isnt an easier way to fix it..

FYI i havent had any issues with either side-
Old 05-15-2006, 07:12 PM
BJF2K

I have no issues driving up to 140MPH, I guess is really depend on how hard you tighten it?
Old 05-16-2006, 02:09 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had these types of mirrors on a sportbike once and had the same problems with them coming loose. You should be able to tighten them to where they won't come loose but if you do it too tight, you will have the same problem as glueing them, which is.......

If you glue them in place, when/if somebody bumps into them good enough, they will break and or bend the stems and the mirrors will be toast.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:42 AM
gringott

Default How to tighten the pivot point on the AutoTechnica Mirrors

Ok, I haven't installed mine yet, but I took apart the mirror and it doesn't seem to be a problem to tighten the mirror stalk. Here are some pictures to explain what I am saying.
1. The stalk connects to the base with four pieces. There is the actual ball joint, which has an inner and outer threaded piece. Screwed into the inner thread is a brass insert with two slots. You use snap ring pliers to remove this. Inside this brass insert is a threaded rod, with one end to press on the ball joint, and one end has a hex head. The hex head faces out, away from the ball joint.

Sorry for the bad pictures, but you should get the idea.

The first picture (AT 02.jpg) shows snap ring pliers. Second (AT 03.jpg) shows the pliers inserted in the slots of the brass insert. Third (AT 04.jpg) shows the brass insert and the threaded, hex head threaded rod, seperated from the mirror and each other. The fourth picture (AT 05.jpg) shows the two pieces together. The idea is that the brass insert goes into the ball joint, and the threaded rod goes in and out of it, farther in, tighter, farther out (away from mirror) looser. I played with mine, getting the ideal length, since I had it out. But that should not be necessary, Just loosen the nut in the base (AT 01.jpg) a hair, then use the allen key that they gave you to turn the inner threaded rod into the ball joint. This will tighten up the joint, and then you tighten the outer nut that holds the mirror to the base. Play a little with it and you will get it.
Attached Thumbnails autotechnic cf mirrors loose pivot point?-at_02.jpg   autotechnic cf mirrors loose pivot point?-at_03.jpg   autotechnic cf mirrors loose pivot point?-at_04.jpg   autotechnic cf mirrors loose pivot point?-at_05.jpg   autotechnic cf mirrors loose pivot point?-at_01.jpg  

Old 05-16-2006, 07:45 AM
gringott

Default The rest of the story

And here is how it looks with the ball joint, the brass insert and the threaded rod partially assembled. If you don't understand anything, just post here and I will try to explain it better.
Attached Thumbnails autotechnic cf mirrors loose pivot point?-at_06.jpg  

Quick Reply: autotechnic cf mirrors loose pivot point?