Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JDM Nismo Sideskirt installation problems... HELP!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 03:50 PM
Roggan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question JDM Nismo Sideskirt installation problems... HELP!?!

Hey

I am in the process of installing JDM Nismo sideskirts, i have come as far as to having removed the stock sideskirts (pretty simple).

BUT i have some major problems in understanding how the £$$€@€ you are supposed to screw it in place rather then snapping it in place like the stock skirts.

The screws and parts that comes with the skirts dosent seam very logical to use (atleast not to me)... The most obious problem is that it comes with these small rubber things with imbedded metal threads for screws, they should according to the instructions go into the 6 holes below the door sill, the problem is that they freely can go in and out of the hole (not beeing secured) so you cant screw anything in that... And 5 of the holes where only used for the old skirt and they all have very tightly secured sockets for the "pin-bolts" that the stock skirt uses.

It might be that this looks different on JDM, US and European cars... Worst case ill just screw in some screws through the plastic sockets that are there now.

Anyone been through this proceedure before, any help would be highly appriciated!!

STOCK SKIRT: (Notice 5 center "pinbolts")

SKIRT REMOVED: (Notice 5 center sockets for 5 "pinbolts" and one un-used hole)

NISMO INSTRUCTIONS AND INSTALL PARTS: (6 center screws to be installed)

/Roger
Old 05-19-2006, 04:01 PM
tresfifdeeZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what? you dont read japanese? everyone knows how to read japanese!

hahah..
Old 05-19-2006, 04:22 PM
Roggan

Originally Posted by mc350z
i have the authentic JDM skirts and i used screws in mine. the oem have rivets that they pop into. the nismo have these plastic pieces that go in the holes then you out a screw in the middle of it. thats how you can tell whats real alot of the replicas dont use the screws

my local body shop had to use a different version of those plastic piecers because i was missing a few when i received the skirts.

actually one of mine has vibrated out (i think during auto-x) and the screw fell out. so im gonna have to find a replacement to put it back with.

here are a few pics of how mine are attached and the missing screw

the second pic is how they attach underneath
Ok cool, thanks for the heads up! Really strange that you can use the parts that comes with the kit... Maybe the JDM cars are different from the US and European here...

Then ill just get some nice looking black screws and go ahead with the installation like i was planning unless someone came with some brilliant idea i couldnt think of. Physically they fit perfectly, so shouldnt be a problem.

/Roger
Old 05-19-2006, 04:26 PM
Roggan

and here is that pic where that damn screw fell out of mine
Hmm, ill get some good screws with a thicker thread then so i can hopefully avoid the screws falling out. Worst case its pretty easy to remove the skirt and install some more propper sockets for screws, but i think with some thick thread screws it should be fine as it is.

/Roger
Old 05-19-2006, 04:29 PM
Z M@n

What he is saying is that those little pieces that go into the door holes that the screws are then screwed into don't hold into the door sockets snug like the stock ones did. Can you post a pic of the the rubber ones that come with the kit? My suggestion is to just screw into the stock plastic ones if the ones with the kit don't hold snug. The stock clip is called a CF 118 clip. They are not that deep if you look at them in the Service Manual. They look like they have 2 little tines on them that you have to depress using 2 flat head screw drivers to remove from the mounting hole on the car body. Maybe the rubber ones hold good enough?

Rob
Old 05-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Roggan

yeah that fit EXACTLY like the oem. with screws you should be able to pop them right on.

also i see you have the nismo CF b-pillars. great choice on those i love mine i think they really add to the car. they go on easy but the adhesive on the back is soooo sticky that you get one good chanve to put them on right
Yeah, went with the full Nismo kit, looking forward to seeing them on the car together with everything else Thanks for the tip, ill keep that in mind when in fitting them!

/Roger
Old 05-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Roggan

Originally Posted by Z M@n
What he is saying is that those little pieces that go into the door holes that the screws are then screwed into don't hold into the door sockets snug like the stock ones did. Can you post a pic of the the rubber ones that come with the kit? My suggestion is to just screw into the stock plastic ones if the ones with the kit don't hold snug. The stock clip is called a CF 118 clip. They are not that deep if you look at them in the Service Manual. They look like they have 2 little tines on them that you have to depress using 2 flat head screw drivers to remove from the mounting hole on the car body. Maybe the rubber ones hold good enough?

Rob
Hi Rob

The little rubber things are includeed on the big pic with the installation guide, its the one furthest to the right, the screw thats intended to use for it is next to it.

The problem is that they are completly cylinder shaped, no edges or shapes that would keep it in place when pushed into the holes in the door sill... So its not possible to secure anything by screwing into them...

Totally puzzled, it must be so that the JDM Z's are different from the US and European.

But using some good screws into the plastic sockets should work just fine, i just wanted to know if there was something obvious that i was missing.

/Roger

Last edited by Roggan; 05-19-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:50 PM
Roggan

Hmm while i was thinking some more about this... Maybe its not intended that the screws and rubber things should pull the skirt in towards the sill at all... Maybe they are just like bushings to keep it a little tighter in place (they rubber things goes in the holes easily but with a little friction)...

Ill see how i proceed tomorrow... Either way should work, but its easier to just screw into the stock plastic sockets rather then removing them (they seam to be quite tightly secured).

/Roger
Old 05-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Z M@n

Yeah, I was thinking that its purpose was not to affix the sideskirt to the car, but to just keep it in place. Here is a pic of the stock clip I was talking about. Those little tines are what hold it in place so it doesn't pull out. I dunno if there is enough meat there for a screw, but there maybe. I'm eventually going to install these sideskirts myself, so I'm hoping this thread will give me a taste of what's in the future. Please update us with what you decided to do.

JDM Nismo Sideskirt installation problems... HELP!?!-clip1.jpg

Rob

Last edited by Z M@n; 05-19-2006 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:40 AM
Roggan

Originally Posted by Z M@n
Yeah, I was thinking that its purpose was not to affix the sideskirt to the car, but to just keep it in place. Here is a pic of the stock clip I was talking about. Those little tines are what hold it in place so it doesn't pull out. I dunno if there is enough meat there for a screw, but there maybe. I'm eventually going to install these sideskirts myself, so I'm hoping this thread will give me a taste of what's in the future. Please update us with what you decided to do.

Attachment 107223

Rob
Thanks Rob thats helpfull

Though in reality the "grommet" (b-clip) has a plastic bottom (not just narrowing sides) on my car. Judging from that excellent pic it seams the b-clips are pretty much impossible to remove without drilling them out as you cant get to them from behind... So i guess some screws seams easier, in case that dosent work then ill just drill out the b-clips and use the rubber things and screws that goes with them. Ill let you know how it goes in a few hours.

/Roger

Last edited by Roggan; 05-20-2006 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:05 AM
Roggan

Got the skirts installed earlier today.

I figured that the rubber things expands when you tighten the screws, so how its intended to be is to take out all the stock sockets and screw the rubber things and screws onto the skirt and then push it into the holes and then tighten the screws to expand the rubber things inside the door sill.

However i went with the easy way and screwed in some screws into the sockets, looks nice and is quite secure however you cannot pull very hard without the screws just going around, so i would recomend anyone installing these to take out the sockets and use the rubber things.

Here is a pic of it installed and ready

/Roger
Attached Thumbnails JDM Nismo Sideskirt installation problems... HELP!?!-roggan-350z-jdm-nismo-sideskirt-installed.jpg