Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3M (anti-stone chip) tape tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 08:21 PM
d!abolic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3M (anti-stone chip) tape tips?

My bumper used to have HUNDREDS of tiny stone chips on it and i just got it painted. Going to 3M tomorrow, i think they sell this stuff. Hopefully they install it too. Any tips? Should i get half of the hood covered too? Cuz i did have a good dozen stone chips on it too.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:30 PM
Nocturnal Speed

Get the whole kit from 3M...It will most likely cover the whole front bumper, about 12-18 inches onto the hood, mirrors, and partially the rear fenders. You could also get your headlights covered, but I think that is extra. Most kits do not cover more than 12-18 inches onto the hood, unless you get it custom cut, which will probably cost more. Anyways, good decision on getting that done
Old 08-18-2006, 08:59 AM
highside107

I think you are referring to the clear bra, correct? 3M is now on their 3rd generation of clear bras; the early 3M clearbras have been known to cause "yellowing" of the paint. Good decision on the clear bra. My bumper used to have hundreds of rock chips too. Got it repainted and put the clearbra on. Most clear bra kits cover the front bumper, 1/3 of the hood or so, the front fenders, and the rearview mirrors -- this is pretty much standard. In the US, this runs about $500-$600 (at least in the Bay Area) for the kit + install. Note that 3M isn't the only company that makes the clearbra. There are a bunch of other reputable brands out there as well (e.g. Venture).

NOTE: How long ago did you get a repaint? Most professionals will advise that you wait at least 30 days or so after you repaint, *before* you install the clearbra. Freshly painted paint needs to "cure" properly and harden up. Baking the paint or letting it sit out in the hot sun will expedite the process. If you put the clearbra on now (right away after you just repainted it) and you take the clearbra off in the future, the paint will come off the car along with the clearbra as well. I know it's a b**ch, but I would advise babying your Z and waiting a few weeks or a month and stay off the freeway if you can help it all so you won't pick up any rock chips.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:01 AM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a full bumper wrap and a whopping 24" strip on the hood. It goes roughly 5" beyond the top of the headlights. Love it.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:22 AM
roxtarinc
Banned

is the clearbra noticeable?
Old 08-18-2006, 12:06 PM
highside107

Originally Posted by roxtarinc
is the clearbra noticeable?
From what I hear, 3M's is noticeable (not as opaque as others)... it's not as clear as others. I have Venture on mine which is another reputable brand and it's very clear. You couldn't tell it was even on if I didn't say anything. The only thing that is noticeable though (about any clearbra) is the horizontal cut-off line running along the hood. When it gets dirty, it looks like a white line running across the hood. Doesn't bother me at all though.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:58 PM
usmanasif

Originally Posted by highside107
From what I hear, 3M's is noticeable (not as opaque as others)... it's not as clear as others. I have Venture on mine which is another reputable brand and it's very clear. You couldn't tell it was even on if I didn't say anything. The only thing that is noticeable though (about any clearbra) is the horizontal cut-off line running along the hood. When it gets dirty, it looks like a white line running across the hood. Doesn't bother me at all though.
Newest release of the 3M material is completely colorless.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:51 PM
z-u-later

I had the 3M clear bra installed on my bumper, hood, headlights, mirror, and door edges. You don't know it's there unless you really looked hard on the hood. I covered the headlights since it cost over $1K if you have to replace them. Cost me $700 for the entire kit and installation, with lifetime warranty. Also, got a $50 gas card from 3M. Been happy with it -- cleaning it is easier than ever plus I'm stress free -- no more chips, dings, from road debris. And it looks so much better than the black bra that you see all over the place.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:20 AM
Speed 2000

I think you are referring to the clear bra, correct? 3M is now on their 3rd generation of clear bras; the early 3M clearbras have been known to cause "yellowing" of the paint.

It's the film that had an issue with yellowing, it doesn't yellow the paint. One of the brands turned green even though they offered a lifetime warranty

The new generation of 3M isn't as good as I'd hoped but it still does a good job of protecting the paint. There are now kits out there that will cover the entire hood and fenders, http://www.xpel.com/products/configu...&submodel=4150

Z-U, did you receive your gas card yet? Some people have been waiting months and it was supposed to only take a few weeks.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:53 AM
Mapleleaf

Beware ,any new paint you should really cure at least 30 days before the 3M Clear goes over it because if you ever have to take it off or replace it you don't want the paint coming off with it
Old 08-24-2006, 06:59 AM
zigggy56

Hey guys how about some close up pictures? Please also mention which brand you have so we can deceide for our selves how noticible each brand is.