Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinting Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 12:15 PM
creationv2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinting Question

oookay so im getting my Z tinted....but the shop im going to says they have two different kinds of tint.....the first kind is a tint that fades in a few years and its 140.....and the other is their "premium" tint and it never fades but its 199.....

are there different tints? i know tint fades.....but which do you guys recommend? because ive never heard of there being diffrent tints like that...

thanks
Old 09-12-2006, 12:19 PM
BrianDT3wZ

Yes Tint Will Fade... Spend The Xtra $, But Do Some Research On Local Places And What % You Want... I Know 3m And Sun-tech Are Respected Companies And Have Extended Warranties For Fading.

Last edited by BrianDT3wZ; 09-12-2006 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:20 PM
350zz053

Thats kinda gay how they pretty much force you to buy the better stuff. Dont buy the stuff that "fades" after a few years. The place i went to gives a lifetime warranty for bubbling,fading, peeling, etc. If you have any formula one tint shops, go there! I think they might be trying to get ya bc 3m tint on my redline Z ran me 160....with that warranty
Old 09-12-2006, 03:48 PM
brigz

Yea dont go with the fading tint. It will be a waste of everything. I heard that tint is just a dye so it tends to fade.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:35 PM
"Z"orilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the cheap tint, odds are you will have sold the car by the time the tint starts screwing up.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:13 PM
rotaryrocket7

Don't buy cheap tint!
Old 09-12-2006, 07:24 PM
rnbanjao

Default i'm in same situation

well, i got into confusion with dat too.. wat tint to get.. well, i visited 2 places that will do the tinting job.. 1 shop's top of line(most expensive tint) for $199 for all window/windshield except front.. and the brand is 3M FX HP (i think dis is the best 3M tint) ofcourse lifetime warranty 99.9% uv protection and guaranteed not to turn purple or bubble... or i go with the other shop who's charging only $100 with same install and lifetime warranty.. brand is Sungard Endurance (top of the line of this brand..) the installer said dis is his best tint.. my friends has it and it looks good... i can prolly get it down to 80 since i go to this shop alot before... but i still want the best tint.. i heard llunar brand is pretty good..

CHECK WHAT BRAND OF TINT THAT PLACE HAS.. YOU CAN CHECK OTHER PLACES TOO.. then if ur still not too sure... research the type of tint they were offering online before you get it tinted... unless u don't give a $#!+... u can always burn money away...

WHAT IS THE BEST BRAND IN CAR TINTS?? ANYBODY KNOW... OR FOR ME

3M????? or SUNGARD ENDURANCE??
Old 09-13-2006, 09:59 AM
r26

i am a tinter. i use solar gard. i use it because i love the clarity and longevity, and the warranty. for a black colored film, solar gard has smoke (crap), charcoal, and true gray (top shelf). i always recommend charcoal. it will last about five years, and the true gray claims that it will last forever. smoke might last 6 months to 2 years. beleive me, no film will ever last forever. i don't care what anyone says. by the time your charcoal film is faded, you will probably sell your car, want a darker/lighter film, or scratch it up yourself. and solar gard does give lifetime warranties for all of their films. my pricing for 350z would be smoke $100, charcoal $130, true gray $160. the z is so easy to tint, and it doesn't use that much film. those prices are very fair, and i am not a crap tinter. i specialize in tinting and i am serious about it. oh yeah, i also take off all door panels. one recomendation, don't shop for the cheapest price and don't bargain. if a tinter is working for less than he/she wants, then they will give less. shop around for the most reasonable price and the best service; go by word of mouth. it amazes me how customers can spend $250 on a detail job that will last one month and then bargain me for a $120 job that will come with a lifetime warranty.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:06 AM
r26

Originally Posted by rnbanjao
well, i got into confusion with dat too.. wat tint to get.. well, i visited 2 places that will do the tinting job.. 1 shop's top of line(most expensive tint) for $199 for all window/windshield except front.. and the brand is 3M FX HP (i think dis is the best 3M tint) ofcourse lifetime warranty 99.9% uv protection and guaranteed not to turn purple or bubble... or i go with the other shop who's charging only $100 with same install and lifetime warranty.. brand is Sungard Endurance (top of the line of this brand..) the installer said dis is his best tint.. my friends has it and it looks good... i can prolly get it down to 80 since i go to this shop alot before... but i still want the best tint.. i heard llunar brand is pretty good..

CHECK WHAT BRAND OF TINT THAT PLACE HAS.. YOU CAN CHECK OTHER PLACES TOO.. then if ur still not too sure... research the type of tint they were offering online before you get it tinted... unless u don't give a $#!+... u can always burn money away...

WHAT IS THE BEST BRAND IN CAR TINTS?? ANYBODY KNOW... OR FOR ME

3M????? or SUNGARD ENDURANCE??
sun gard is probably the worst; it doesn't last and doesn't block enough heat. i know, i used to use it. i would recomemnd solar gard, lumar, 3M, or madico. they're all pretty much the same. every film has their cheap line and top of the shelf line. don't look into the uv protection too much, instead look into heat rejection. most films do have 99% uv protection; even the generic film.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:10 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

I have solar guard film and my installer/shop warranties it for the life of the car as long as I own it!

Go dark my car stays cooler in the summer by a significant amount!
Old 09-13-2006, 10:39 AM
creationv2

Originally Posted by r26
i am a tinter. i use solar gard. i use it because i love the clarity and longevity, and the warranty. for a black colored film, solar gard has smoke (crap), charcoal, and true gray (top shelf). i always recommend charcoal. it will last about five years, and the true gray claims that it will last forever. smoke might last 6 months to 2 years. beleive me, no film will ever last forever. i don't care what anyone says. by the time your charcoal film is faded, you will probably sell your car, want a darker/lighter film, or scratch it up yourself. and solar gard does give lifetime warranties for all of their films. my pricing for 350z would be smoke $100, charcoal $130, true gray $160. the z is so easy to tint, and it doesn't use that much film. those prices are very fair, and i am not a crap tinter. i specialize in tinting and i am serious about it. oh yeah, i also take off all door panels. one recomendation, don't shop for the cheapest price and don't bargain. if a tinter is working for less than he/she wants, then they will give less. shop around for the most reasonable price and the best service; go by word of mouth. it amazes me how customers can spend $250 on a detail job that will last one month and then bargain me for a $120 job that will come with a lifetime warranty.

hah thats awesome because i looked up the tint shop online and they use solargard too, it couldnt have been a bad place, it was my dealerships third party tinter, right? and my dad works there and refered me to him so i felt good about it for the most part, until i got confused on the whole different types of tint and the fading thing....but they charge 199 for that tint and dont take off any panels which i prefer....i got a deal so i took it and got my car tinted today 15/28. so the film is great and the workmanship is top notch in comparison to tints that i have seen on my friends cars and bottomline...i absolutely love it

ill post pics as soon as i can

thanks for the help everyone
Old 09-13-2006, 01:02 PM
rnbanjao

Originally Posted by r26
sun gard is probably the worst; it doesn't last and doesn't block enough heat. i know, i used to use it. i would recomemnd solar gard, lumar, 3M, or madico. they're all pretty much the same. every film has their cheap line and top of the shelf line. don't look into the uv protection too much, instead look into heat rejection. most films do have 99% uv protection; even the generic film.
you have probably use the lower lines sun gard... endurance is its top shelf... so it should have good quality.. (i hope).. i still haven't had my tint put on yet.. still thinkin...
Old 09-13-2006, 08:25 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every single tint film will fade, some just do it a lot quicker than others. Top quality ones will still look almost as good as new 4 years from now. Crappy ones will likely be purple in two years!
Old 09-14-2006, 11:00 AM
r26

Originally Posted by creationv2
hah thats awesome because i looked up the tint shop online and they use solargard too, it couldnt have been a bad place, it was my dealerships third party tinter, right? and my dad works there and refered me to him so i felt good about it for the most part, until i got confused on the whole different types of tint and the fading thing....but they charge 199 for that tint and dont take off any panels which i prefer....i got a deal so i took it and got my car tinted today 15/28. so the film is great and the workmanship is top notch in comparison to tints that i have seen on my friends cars and bottomline...i absolutely love it

ill post pics as soon as i can

thanks for the help everyone
tinters that take pride in their work always take off door panels; unless the car is too risky such as a bmw 7-series that have 20 gadgets in the door. close your door, and look at the bottom of your window. you might see a lot of dust and maybe some creases. you have to look carefully. your tint also has a good chance of peeling at the bottom in the future. sometimes the window will come out clean when the panels aren't taken off. most times it's not. there's no problem with taking off the door panel as long as the installer knows what he/she is doing.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:02 AM
r26

Originally Posted by rnbanjao
you have probably use the lower lines sun gard... endurance is its top shelf... so it should have good quality.. (i hope).. i still haven't had my tint put on yet.. still thinkin...
we used it all. in our opinion, it's just crap. that's the reason why our tint supplier decided to not do business with them.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:32 PM
creationv2

Default :)

sorry if the pics are a bit bad on quality :/

Last edited by creationv2; 09-14-2006 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:43 PM
rnbanjao

that looks nice.. solar guard.., perhaps one of the best brand... i have a redline 06 base 350z.. i think i'll go with 3m color stable film.. i hope... will cost me $180 for everything... quite expensive but hopefully a good result...
Old 09-14-2006, 08:06 PM
creationv2

thanks and good luck with yours brah