Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock Chips in the Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 03:24 PM
geomark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rock Chips in the Windshield

I just noticed yesterday that there are a few chips in the windshield on the passenger side. Anyone have these on their rides? Is there a way to repair them or did your insurance cover these? I am not sure when these happened. I have only had the car for a couple weeks.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:32 PM
Ztalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you got comprehensive coverage, your windshield repair should be taken care of with no deductable. A deductable will be applied if windshield had to be repaced. I've found it much easier to repair it myself with a 5$ kit from walmart or any local auto parts store. Some spider cracks are not repairable btw, but most bullseyes could be fixed 80% of the time.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:41 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interested.

It's like the windshield has a top layer of plastic on my car and some rock chips have scratched or taken some spot of the plastic top layer off. No cracks.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:10 PM
thrill350z

ive had a rock chip for over a year, it hasnt spread, my insurance doesnt cover it
Old 09-14-2006, 05:26 PM
liveoneva

If you get it at just the right time of day, and just the right angle you can see literally thousands of tiny "chips" in my windshield. Almost looks like someone sandblasted the damn thing!!!!!!

I've been meaning to take care of that.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:44 PM
Mathys

If the rock only damaged the top layer of your windshield, no problem. If it damaged your windshield deeper, get it fixed. This will prevent it from cracking further and will restore the strength of your screen...
Old 09-15-2006, 02:00 PM
usmanasif

I had a rock hit mine so darn hard last week, I was sure it will leave serious webbing, but nothing happened.

For your issue, often auto glass places are offering free windshield repairs. They basically work out a deal with insurance companies who pay a discounted rate for the repair, and in turn, the shop offers a portion of it to local charities. Both companies get PR and you get the work done for free as long as you have coverage! I would look for those in your area.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:44 PM
geomark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ztalker
if you got comprehensive coverage, your windshield repair should be taken care of with no deductable. A deductable will be applied if windshield had to be repaced. I've found it much easier to repair it myself with a 5$ kit from walmart or any local auto parts store. Some spider cracks are not repairable btw, but most bullseyes could be fixed 80% of the time.

Did not know this was available, I will check it out next time I go to the auto parts store, I won't be going to Walmart (but thats a whole nother thread!) Anyway, the chips arent 2 bad, I can feel them with my fingernail so it should be fixable...besides I think it was like that when I got it from the original owner, so insurance prob woulndt cover it.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:49 PM
350zz053

Originally Posted by geomark
Did not know this was available, I will check it out next time I go to the auto parts store, I won't be going to Walmart (but thats a whole nother thread!) Anyway, the chips arent 2 bad, I can feel them with my fingernail so it should be fixable...besides I think it was like that when I got it from the original owner, so insurance prob woulndt cover it.

how would your insurance company know its from the previos owner? lol. I guess your an honest person!
Old 09-15-2006, 02:54 PM
zz350zz

Originally Posted by liveoneva
If you get it at just the right time of day, and just the right angle you can see literally thousands of tiny "chips" in my windshield. Almost looks like someone sandblasted the damn thing!!!!!!

I've been meaning to take care of that.
Is the only way to get rid of these is to replace the whole glass? Or is there some kind of filler you can buy? I have that exact same problem and it's bad
Old 09-18-2006, 05:55 PM
stealthrapt0r

my windshield just got hit by a rock this morning, hard hit and big mark.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:00 PM
ObiRedKenobi

My wind shield looks like its been sand blasted. I'm waiting for a good crack to have it replaced. On a side note one of my headlights has a small chip in it too.