Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What you get when you combine '03 headlights + '06 Headlights + Clear Corners +.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 02:28 PM
IluvIt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What you get when you combine '03 headlights + '06 Headlights + Clear Corners +.....

So, after months and months of delaying the inevitable I finally did it! I modded my '03 headlights and got what I like to consider a conglomeration of '03 headlights, '06 headlights, with Clear Corners and last but not least MurphysZ headlights!

A lot of people have been considering using LED strips which would be a great idea but the problem with those is that they do not flex correctly to fit the curvature of the headlight. So, I painstakingly drilled 20 holes the length of the headlight and inserted 3mm LEDs in each hole. After using some SuperGlue to tack them in I siliconed them in to ensure they don't fall out.

I have to admit that this was BY FAR the biggest PITA mod I have ever done. I also changed the LEDs in my dash click here to see BLUE LEDs in DASH which was actually REALLY easy compared to this mod. Anyways, because each LED was individually placed, each one had to be individually wired while taking into consideration resisitors. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of the inside and what I did (I'm an idiot) but feel free to look at pics of them installed and tell me whether you like or dislike!

If you're interested it literally took me 24 hours to do. 7:00am - 7pm Saturday and to 8am to 8pm Sunday. Of course, this was my first and only time so I ran into some complications but that's to be expected.

Personally, ILUVIT...hahaha.
Attached Thumbnails What you get when you combine '03 headlights + '06 Headlights + Clear Corners +.....-img_0514web.jpg   What you get when you combine '03 headlights + '06 Headlights + Clear Corners +.....-img_0515web.jpg   What you get when you combine '03 headlights + '06 Headlights + Clear Corners +.....-img_0516web.jpg   What you get when you combine '03 headlights + '06 Headlights + Clear Corners +.....-img_0517web.jpg   What you get when you combine '03 headlights + '06 Headlights + Clear Corners +.....-img_0518web.jpg  

Last edited by IluvIt; 10-19-2006 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:28 PM
IluvIt

Default 2 more pics

Here are two more pics.
Attached Thumbnails What you get when you combine '03 headlights + '06 Headlights + Clear Corners +.....-img_0519web.jpg   What you get when you combine '03 headlights + '06 Headlights + Clear Corners +.....-img_0520web.jpg  
Old 10-19-2006, 02:30 PM
edwin350z

looks awight
Old 10-19-2006, 02:54 PM
MJBsZ

Damn, that's exactly what I wanted to do. I have been debating between this and a cold cathode though and now I'm really not sure what to do. Did you make your bumper markers as well? If so, any tips on how to do it? feel free to PM me. Nice work
Old 10-19-2006, 03:05 PM
IluvIt

Default thanks

Naw, I didn't make the bumper markers. I got those from EVO-R. It looks so much better at night from the side. The pics really don't do it justice! It's exactly what I've had in my mind ever since I saw Clear Corners.

What's a cold cathode? Do you have any pics of what it would look like?
Answer: nevermind. like neons?? Wow, I don't know how that would work. The light is not straight at all so unless you manufacture those neon tubes good luck.

As far as any tips...just have the necessary tools and plan it out thoroughly. I did lots of research and read nearly every post on here about headlight modifications. It's def not for the weak of heart. If you decided to do it I'd be more than happy to chat with you and give you some lessons learned to make it go as easy as possible.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:31 PM
MJBsZ

Originally Posted by IluvIt
Naw, I didn't make the bumper markers. I got those from EVO-R. It looks so much better at night from the side. The pics really don't do it justice! It's exactly what I've had in my mind ever since I saw Clear Corners.

What's a cold cathode? Do you have any pics of what it would look like?
Answer: nevermind. like neons?? Wow, I don't know how that would work. The light is not straight at all so unless you manufacture those neon tubes good luck.

As far as any tips...just have the necessary tools and plan it out thoroughly. I did lots of research and read nearly every post on here about headlight modifications. It's def not for the weak of heart. If you decided to do it I'd be more than happy to chat with you and give you some lessons learned to make it go as easy as possible.
Here's a write up on CCFl by a guy who put them in his g35. I realize it's curved, but a bit of dremeling should help things out.

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75227
Old 10-19-2006, 07:13 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! I wish I was a bit more of a handy man when I see these personal touches >_<;;
Old 10-19-2006, 08:20 PM
IluvIt

Originally Posted by MJBsZ
Here's a write up on CCFl by a guy who put them in his g35. I realize it's curved, but a bit of dremeling should help things out.

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75227
That's interesting. That idea never even crossed my mind because I knew as soon as I put the Evo-r LEDs in that it looked incomplete. The next logical step was to do the headlights exactly as I did. I think it flows very nicely and looks good too.

Something else to consider with the CCFI is that the headlight is not completely sealed (on the inside...that is). It consist of 4 or 5 main parts. One part is the main black housing that all the wiring is attached to. Another part is the chrome reflective part where the blinker is housed. Another part is the chome piece where the actual headlight is. The 4th and 5th part are the clear lense and attached to it is the black part that runs along the bottom of the headlight and then the chrome piece that runs up the outer part and top of hte headlight. It's hard to explain without pictures but my point is that if you were to put a bright lamp that's not necessarily directional like LEDs I could potentially see light leaking out of the headlight in various spots. You could probably make it so it wouldn't leak light but then you're talking more time.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:27 PM
MJBsZ

That's interesting. That idea never even crossed my mind because I knew as soon as I put the Evo-r LEDs in that it looked incomplete. The next logical step was to do the headlights exactly as I did. I think it flows very nicely and looks good too.

Something else to consider with the CCFI is that the headlight is not completely sealed (on the inside...that is). It consist of 4 or 5 main parts. One part is the main black housing that all the wiring is attached to. Another part is the chrome reflective part where the blinker is housed. Another part is the chome piece where the actual headlight is. The 4th and 5th part are the clear lense and attached to it is the black part that runs along the bottom of the headlight and then the chrome piece that runs up the outer part and top of hte headlight. It's hard to explain without pictures but my point is that if you were to put a bright lamp that's not necessarily directional like LEDs I could potentially see light leaking out of the headlight in various spots. You could probably make it so it wouldn't leak light but then you're talking more time.
good point about the light leaking out, and I think with your setup with the evo-r LEDs you made the right choice with putting the LEDs in the headlight as well--it really flows. As for sealing the headlights, I have a spare set of headlights that I will be doing a complete HID retrofit on this winter, so I have nothing but time to make sure it's sealed and no light is leaking out. I'll just have to make sure I examine every nook to make sure no light gets out and ruins the effect.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:51 AM
Blue Batmobile
Inventor
Blue Batmobile

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

not bad.

Bat™
Old 10-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not my cup of tea, but props for doing something like that on your own. Nice work.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:12 AM
THE TECH

Interesting, but maybe a touch too much rice for my taste. Nice job though.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:01 PM
driftk1d

its ok, good job
Old 10-22-2006, 05:46 AM
zzz350

pass the soy sauce please
Old 10-23-2006, 05:11 AM
IluvIt

Default only if it's low sodium soy sauce

Originally Posted by zzz350
pass the soy sauce please
You're an idi0t. Based on all of your other posts you never have anything positive to say and you've only started about 10 of your own threads. All of which are just about pointless. For someone who has over 700 posts I would expect some more helpful contributions other than just "pass the soy sauce please". So, the question that needs to be answered is...what do you like other than your bone stock...sorry...bone stock with Russell brake lines 350z?
Old 10-23-2006, 05:13 AM
IluvIt

Default Northeast

Originally Posted by MJBsZ
good point about the light leaking out, and I think with your setup with the evo-r LEDs you made the right choice with putting the LEDs in the headlight as well--it really flows. As for sealing the headlights, I have a spare set of headlights that I will be doing a complete HID retrofit on this winter, so I have nothing but time to make sure it's sealed and no light is leaking out. I'll just have to make sure I examine every nook to make sure no light gets out and ruins the effect.

MJBsZ,

Where in NY do you live? I'm in the process of transferring up to Manhattan.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:55 AM
MJBsZ

MJBsZ,

Where in NY do you live? I'm in the process of transferring up to Manhattan.
I'm in philly now (actually just outside philly) but hopefully will be coming back to NY for Med School. When/if I do, it will probably be to Long Island but school would be in Brooklyn. Are you planning on living in manhattan or just working there?
Old 10-23-2006, 08:16 AM
stein

That's pretty nice! Awesome! Do the white lights just come on with the parking lights or do they blink with them or even better would have them come on is a sequence with the blinker. Just tossing things out there, good job!
Old 10-23-2006, 08:22 AM
zzz350

You're an idi0t. Based on all of your other posts you never have anything positive to say and you've only started about 10 of your own threads. All of which are just about pointless. For someone who has over 700 posts I would expect some more helpful contributions other than just "pass the soy sauce please". So, the question that needs to be answered is...what do you like other than your bone stock...sorry...bone stock with Russell brake lines 350z?
Thank you for asking, I particularly like stupid asses that get all worked up over bulletin boards on the internet. It is a delight to watch some dumbass respond, thanks for the jollies!
Old 10-23-2006, 08:37 AM
IluvIt

Originally Posted by zzz350
Thank you for asking, I particularly like stupid asses that get all worked up over bulletin boards on the internet. It is a delight to watch some dumbass respond, thanks for the jollies!
Speaking of dumb@sses responding.

PS. no one's getting worked up. just giving my $.02 about your pathetic life.

Quick Reply: What you get when you combine '03 headlights + '06 Headlights + Clear Corners +.....