Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on two-tone paint, which factory black should I go with?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 09:55 AM
snair2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on two-tone paint, which factory black should I go with?

Hey guys, i've been searching, and with my sh*tty connection it's taking waaaay too long, so I'm going to just ask.

I own a silverstone '03 Z, and after this winter passes I plan on going the two-tone route, with the hood, roof, hatch, mirrors, and some small pieces painted black. After talking to my bodyshop guy, he advised me to go with a factory black, so matching it wouldn't be hard, as opposed to a custom paint. The thing is, I want to get a factory black with some metallic flake it in, but do not know what other car manufacturer's use that type of black. I remember one of the painters saying that the new 300c's black has metallic in itm but didn't get to see it yet.

Which car manufacturer uses a black with metallic flakes that would compliment well with the silverstone (there's metallic flakes in it as well)? I don't really like the idea of having one half of the car straight black and the other half silverstone with metallic...
Old 10-28-2006, 10:06 AM
rxkevin

Subaru's have black with metalic flakes in it, however I don't think with flakes that would match a silverstone.

Just check the PPG books, I am sure you can find something in there.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:18 PM
NISMOFO

I would do the super black instead of magnetic because every time I've seen magnetic painted (in a body shop) it's looked different....the flake is never the same.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:22 PM
nsxpowered

Ferrari blacks are very sharp and perhaps one of the sharpest black I've seen. If you wanted a black where it goes good against age from swirl marks I would probably settle with Mercedes black, there is a bit of black metallic coloring that reflects and takes your eyes off the swirl marks on the clear coat. Hope this helps.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:48 PM
snair2

Thanks guys, I plan on checking out the PPG book with my shop, but I'll also look into the Subaru black and Mercedes black.

Now, after reading the replies, I'm rethinking the idea of the flakes in black, would it look ok with the silverstone flakes? I wanted something like, where the theres the obvious difference in color with silverstone and black, but try to get a uniform flake design going on with both the silverstone and black all over the car, I know it wouldn't be perfect since I'm not repainting the entire car, but just trying to find the closest match possible. I really hope that makes some sorta sense...
Old 10-29-2006, 05:37 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I did my old car with Subaru black it has a metalic gold/silver chip. Looks really great. not like a bass boat

good luck
Old 10-29-2006, 08:25 AM
"Z"orilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a picture of my car. The silver is a Mercedes color (I painted it to match my VOLK GT-7's which were diamond black). It has a sort of metal flake in it, you cant really tell from my pics, but you can get a pretty good idea of what your car will look like, Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails Need help on two-tone paint, which factory black should I go with?-350z-1-1.jpg   Need help on two-tone paint, which factory black should I go with?-my-car-003-1.jpg   Need help on two-tone paint, which factory black should I go with?-my-car-004-1.jpg   Need help on two-tone paint, which factory black should I go with?-my-car-005-1.jpg   Need help on two-tone paint, which factory black should I go with?-my-car-008-1.jpg  

Old 10-29-2006, 10:07 AM
redlinez

The Dodge Charger SRT8 has a lot of metallic in it's black . It may be the same as the 300C your painter was talking about. I thought it looked great!
Old 10-29-2006, 05:28 PM
snair2

Thanks "Z"orilla, your car looks reallllllly niiiice... I plan on doing the same thing, match my Z with black and polish lip rims. The metallic in your paint compliments the car nicely, in terms of uniformity throughout the entire car (black to white) and metallic flakes?

Also, you think the SRT8 has an excessive amount of metallic in the black, to the point where it's almost charcoal rather then black?
Old 11-03-2006, 10:15 PM
redlinez

The Dodge looks black, up close you see all the metalic. I recommend going to a dealer for a looksee.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:56 AM
"Z"orilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snair2
Thanks "Z"orilla, your car looks reallllllly niiiice... I plan on doing the same thing, match my Z with black and polish lip rims. The metallic in your paint compliments the car nicely, in terms of uniformity throughout the entire car (black to white) and metallic flakes?

Also, you think the SRT8 has an excessive amount of metallic in the black, to the point where it's almost charcoal rather then black?
It's not really metal flake, it is metallic, the pictures really don't pick that up. You have to see it in person. Look through paint sample books if the body shop has some, that's how we color matched my rims. It figures that the only paint to match my VOLK rims would be the Mercedes color, one of the most expensive.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:43 AM
spiralfunk

Just thought I'd throw in a couple pics of my two-tone as well so you can see the different options out there. One of the problems with two-toning the Z from a visual stand point is that both the break lights and the head lights come to a point. The break lights follow the body line but the head lights do not. "Z"orilla bravely overcame this by straying away from the "All Powerful" body line and dropping it down to the headlight point. This is the first time I've seen someone do that and it turned out great!!! My one bit of advise is to make sure you bring the line down to the quarter panels and door like we did. Don't go the easy route and only do the hood. Trust me you'd regret it. I know I did. Luckily I do my own painting and airbrush work so I quickly corrected it.

As far as color goes? You've picked an easy color to work with. Everything, everything, everything goes with black. Go against all of our advise and I bet you'd still end up with something you loved.