Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What front lips actually do benefit the Z aero wise or hinder

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 06:10 AM
RBlover69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What front lips actually do benefit the Z aero wise or hinder

the Zs drag co eff is great for a sports car , i wanted to get a CF lip but i dont want anything thats gonna turn my aero dynamics into a brick . Does anyone know of any kips that are actually beneficial as far as not hindering the drag of the z also. I was about to purchase the new TTlips CF kit thus i need some input before i purse something and here more wind then im hearing now lol
Old 11-09-2006, 06:28 AM
JDMFairlady21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey how you been man? hope everything is good with you...

an answer for y our question would be the topsecret lip, amuse lip, and i believe the cwest as well... those three companies actually wind tunnel test most of their aero parts
Old 11-09-2006, 06:52 AM
RBlover69

oh snap brotha whats up man. I see we are with performance motorsports now . No more CC. How are things man Ima have to hit u up on TSZ33 forum to check out ur ride man.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:12 AM
nsxpowered

Sorry to disagree, but Cwest and Topsecret has no access to windtunnel testing. I do not know about Amuse, but my guess is that it is not tested as well (just a guess). There are no aftermarket bodykit company that wind tunnel test the bodykit because the real companies that makes them do not make enough money to do so. A wind tunnel is often used to test prototypes before final production meaning they go through at least a minimum of 5 revisions.

To get a rough idea if a bodykit is aerodynamic or not, just do the following. Measure the front area. Make sure the bottom of the car is nicely sealed to allow air to flow faster then the top side. What kind of aerodynamic performance would you like to achieve? Lower coefficient drag or more downforce? Vortex generators do wonders increasing the Reynolds numbers, but most often does not look so good on the car.

Companies that sell air intakes are more likely to test the flow of the design because it is much smaller and easier to plug into a software to test the fluid dynamics. A bumper or lip is no good without plugging it into the complete car. There is so much misinformation out on the internet from people who have no knowledge about the subject. Most people think that opening the truck bed lift gate (putting it down) will result in better aero dynamic flow, but this is just the opposite which increases drag.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:51 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by nsxpowered
Most people think that opening the truck bed lift gate (putting it down) will result in better aero dynamic flow, but this is just the opposite which increases drag.
Yeah, and some of us watch Mythbusters and get ourselves edumacated about this kind of stuff!

Body kits are for looks. Unless you drive your car around at well over 100MPH, you'll never need to worry about how much downforce you have, your coefficient of drag or anything else aerodynamics related as far as performance or keeping the car on the road are concerned. CD is stated by manufacturers b/c lower drag = better gas milage, and I have yet to see anyone complaining about lower gas milage b/c their body kit is screwing up the aerodynamics of the car. Get what you like, drive it and enjoy it!

Last edited by MustGoFastR; 11-09-2006 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:01 AM
Jim@Showstoppers
Banned

Originally Posted by nsxpowered
Sorry to disagree, but Cwest and Topsecret has no access to windtunnel testing. I do not know about Amuse, but my guess is that it is not tested as well (just a guess). There are no aftermarket bodykit company that wind tunnel test the bodykit because the real companies that makes them do not make enough money to do so. A wind tunnel is often used to test prototypes before final production meaning they go through at least a minimum of 5 revisions.

To get a rough idea if a bodykit is aerodynamic or not, just do the following. Measure the front area. Make sure the bottom of the car is nicely sealed to allow air to flow faster then the top side. What kind of aerodynamic performance would you like to achieve? Lower coefficient drag or more downforce? Vortex generators do wonders increasing the Reynolds numbers, but most often does not look so good on the car.

Companies that sell air intakes are more likely to test the flow of the design because it is much smaller and easier to plug into a software to test the fluid dynamics. A bumper or lip is no good without plugging it into the complete car. There is so much misinformation out on the internet from people who have no knowledge about the subject. Most people think that opening the truck bed lift gate (putting it down) will result in better aero dynamic flow, but this is just the opposite which increases drag.
Well said once again. Me and you think a lot alike.

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
Yeah, and some of us watch Mythbusters and get ourselves edumacated about this kind of stuff!
I saw that episode as well. I also say just get whatever you think would look best, not perform best.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:19 AM
WalkerT
Professional

Yea no one test their body kits ........yea right. C west does test their race cars that have the kit installed. Race program = windtunnel testing IE nismo
Attached Thumbnails What front lips actually do benefit the Z aero wise or hinder-windtunnel.jpg  
Old 11-09-2006, 09:27 AM
BlackZero6

strosek also does test on their stuff
Old 11-09-2006, 09:32 AM
WalkerT
Professional

Ture just read the 500 write ups about the gt-s 350z that has the strosek kit.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:42 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by walkert
Yea no one test their body kits ........yea right. C west does test their race cars that have the kit installed. Race program = windtunnel testing IE nismo

Hey, that's an awesome pic of Nismo Z in a wind tunnel. There a high res of that around somewhere?
Old 11-09-2006, 10:36 AM
WalkerT
Professional

Yes I have it on a disc at home but it took me a couple days to find it on the web. I am in Brazil at the moment or I would post it.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:52 AM
RBlover69

yea i was informed that Cwest does flow testing on all of there kits. Quiet intresting. I do drive beyond a 100 btw. I bought a Z becuase i want to slowly reach higher levels of performance . I dont wanna purcahse a item that will hinder its performance ., even though marginal . I hate installed items that serive no benefit. Ex. Ricer free willie wings
Old 11-09-2006, 11:54 AM
brigz

Originally Posted by BlackZero6
strosek also does test on their stuff
Thats one good one if you have the change
Old 11-09-2006, 06:54 PM
ZCARBANDIT
Banned

Have to love zerolift of the 350's.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:06 PM
nsxpowered

Putting a smoke stream through a tunnel doesn't provide critical information or numbers. The point of wind tunnels is to get actual data of drag or downforce. Much of the most important part of the aerodynamics which are the front fascia and underside of the car can not be determined from a smoke stream. I too can do a simple smoke stream flow test just to see the if there is too much turbulence and make corrections. Air and Fluid has the same flow characteristics so if you want something with super low coefficent drag then making your car look like a fish is a good beginning.

In order to get numbers the bodykit needs to be plugged into a fluid dynamics software and have a flow simulation test runned. This will provide actual pressure points which look like this:

Old 11-10-2006, 07:37 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by ZCARBANDIT
Have to love zerolift of the 350's.

Only on cars with the Track Areo kit. Others are zero lift only in the front.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:47 AM
six3mike

Que pasa Brendan. How's Florida treating you?
Old 11-11-2006, 08:10 AM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by six3mike
Que pasa Brendan. How's Florida treating you?
oh snap, damn man whats up....i wanna be like u man. i look at ur mod list and im like damn lol. Whats new man. Hows tsz33 man miss the crew man.