Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear wing question

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Suntier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear wing question

If i remove the rear wing that came from the factory will there be any holes left behind or do they use 3M tape?

If they use 3M tape is it possible to take the wing off without having any paint peel?
Old 11-09-2006, 06:32 PM
ZCARBANDIT
Banned

They drill holes on the rear deck lid using a template. I think it uses tape as well.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:08 PM
steveiZdaman

yup holes and tape
Old 11-10-2006, 07:35 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two small holes toward the outside and two larger holes (1/2" or so diameter) around the middle section of the spoiler. It also has 3M tape all the way around it. Removal is a b!tch. Be prepared to make some scratches in the process and see some imperfections in the paint and possibly minor dents or creases in the hatch around the edges (worst case scenario).

If you're going to take it off, you need to replace it with a wing big enough to cover the holes.

Here's how I removed it with as little paint damage as possible: First, you have to pull the inner hatch trim and remove the bolts (2) at each end of the spoiler. Then I took a plastic putty knife and wrapped a microfiber cloth around it to ride against the paint. Work the edge of the putty knife under the edge of the spoiler and it will cut the tape; just slowly run it around the spoiler until all the tape has been cut (some people prefer fishing line to cut the tape, but you can only go as far as the inner pop-clips with it and if the line is thick, it can mar the paint pretty good). Then you can pull it off; it's still hard to pul even at this point. There are two pop-clips in the center holes that have to be popped out. Then you have to get the rest of the tape off the hatch, which is a real PITA. You'll still end up with some scuffs you'll have to poilish out and as I noted above, you may have some nice little surprises from when it was originally installed to work on as well if the new wing won't cover it.

If you're thinking of just pulling it and running without, then forget it. You're only reasonable choice in that case is to find someone with the same color Z without the stock spoiler that would be willing to trade hatches, otherwise you're looking at filling the holes and a full hatch repaint.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Rexy7

I just recently installed my Nismo V1 wing and had the body shop paint and in stall when I saw 1 huge dent on the right side of the hatch and 2 little minor ones also on the right side and a small 1 on the left side Now I have to paint the whole hatch Do you think this was done by the body shop or from the factory?
Old 11-10-2006, 10:45 AM
steveiZdaman

yes the removal of the 3m was a major pain in the ***...def agree with that
Old 11-10-2006, 10:54 AM
ofl0926

whats the best way to remove the left over tape on the hatch.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:30 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by Rexy7
I just recently installed my Nismo V1 wing and had the body shop paint and in stall when I saw 1 huge dent on the right side of the hatch and 2 little minor ones also on the right side and a small 1 on the left side Now I have to paint the whole hatch Do you think this was done by the body shop or from the factory?
If the shop took it off, it's hard to say; I'd guess they are at least partly responsible, depending on what they did to get it off. I've seen more than one with a dent left from the factory, though.

I had no dents, but some scratches and places where the paint was somehow rubbed through to the primer. I was able to touch it up and rub it out well enough that it's not too noticable with my Nismo wing, but you can see it if you look close. Not worth it to have the whole hatch redone on mine and I'm pretty ****.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:33 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by ofl0926
whats the best way to remove the left over tape on the hatch.
I don't know where you get it (I got mine from a buddy), but best thing in the world that works slick as snot is this 3M wheel that goes on your cordless drill. It's kind of an eraser-like material and you just spin it up and it strips the gooey tape right off the hatch without leaving a mark on the paint. Just simple cleanup after that. Unfortunately, my drill battery died halfway through and I had to use adhesive remover to get the rest off and that took FOREVER and was a big mess.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:28 PM
ofl0926

http://www3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/...er/output_html

is that what you were talking about
Old 11-10-2006, 01:53 PM
MustGoFastR

^ YES, that's it. Thing works GREAT.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:52 PM
steveiZdaman

wow that thing is awesome...wish i had that for my 3m removal lol instead i had adhesive remover and a bunch of towells