Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

Pulled over by cops for Tint in So. Cal: Need Advice PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003 | 02:25 AM
tekkensux

Default Pulled over by cops for Tint in So. Cal: Need Advice PLEASE!

Last edited by tekkensux; 12-25-2009 at 10:05 AM. Reason: ...
Old 05-11-2003 | 03:27 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

The ticket won't cost a thing, but you gotta pull the tint off the driver and passenger windows, and have the license plate on the front, or at least sitting visible on the dash board. Then have CHP sign it off as corrected before you go into court. Most of the people on this site with driver/passenger tint are in other states where it's legal. Here in Cali, a lot of people take their chances with it, but most get caught eventually.
Old 05-11-2003 | 06:06 AM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

you shouldnt have done both, its pretty tough to get pulled over for tint only, its not that noticable at a glance. he likely pulled you over cause the lack of a plate caught his eye and the tint was gravy.

anyway, around here, which is likely much less strict than cal, the cop can let you off, or give you a ticket. then the judge can either fine you, make you fix it, or both. it really depends, since they seem to have a profile on you, they will most likely fine you and request proof of the tint removal.
Old 05-11-2003 | 10:56 AM
syf0n

never been pulled over for it in savannah
just put your windows down if a cop pulls you over, you're way less likely to get it.
Old 05-11-2003 | 12:16 PM
2003z

Any tint at all on the front windows is illegal in california, period. Your only option is to pull it off, get the ticket signed off by a police officer, and then reinstall. When I was stationed there, I got pulled over in Mojave, on my way to Tahoe, for nothing but tinted windows. I got the ticket even though my car was registered in Florida even! Had to do the above procedure, and cleaning the glue off is a *****. Use fine steel wool and acetone to get it off (the glue residue, after you peel the film off). It took about 4 hours to clean mine, but on the bright side, the CHP officer said they were the cleanest windows she'd seen after tint removal.
Old 05-11-2003 | 01:42 PM
TheLex

Unfortunately in Calif the cops will pull you over if you have front window tint of any kind. So unless you want to be pulled over by cops all the time, I'd suggest removing the tint. DON'T give them probable cause.

As for the front license plate, buy the mount that this company sells. It latches on to the grill and is easily removable so you don't have to drill holes or fool around with sticky tape. The plate looks better in this location too.

http://www.strictlyz.com/customer/home.php

As for being profiled as a gang banger, if the stop really went down as you say, I'd file a complaint with the ACLU or some other civil rights group. That's bs that you got profiled like that.

Remember, don't make your car a donut eater magnet. If you're going to mod the car, make it so that it's not something that they can easily pull you over for. Remember the term "probable cause."
Old 05-11-2003 | 05:15 PM
jj1814

"Enforcement Note : Out-of-State cars driven in California are required to be in compliance with the CA Tint law. "

Thats fu(kin crazy! I wish a CHP officer would pull me over if I was just visiting for a day or two.

When my brother was going to school in Alabama, he had to remove all his tint.
Old 05-11-2003 | 05:39 PM
happypants

This is text from the CA vehicle code, not sure tinting the whole window applies. Get yourself a copy of the code to make sure...

"(10) Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle's front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. "
Old 05-11-2003 | 06:09 PM
SHO-TIME

Yeah... cops are pretty tough on window tints here in CA. I always roll down BOTH my windows when I see cops. If it's too late, I roll down the opposite side window from the cop so it's less obvious. I think my lighter color interior (i.e., burnt orange) helps it too.

This is the tinting law for different states. (I think this site was posted by someone before... I forget who).

http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/S...aw%20Chart.htm

Two solutions I can think of re: tinting:
1 You should go to the place that tinted your windows and have them issue you a certificate stating that your tint film is 30% or less.

OR

2. You should go to your doctor and obtain a doctor's note stating that your skin is very sensitive and requires window tints.

As for your front plate, you gotta mount it. If you don't want to drill holes, then get that plate holder made by AudioPat.
Old 05-11-2003 | 11:45 PM
joust75

Its BS in cali because alot of celebs get away wtih it. I also have a plan to try and keep the cops off my back.

If I get pulled over I plan to tell the cop that direct sunlight gives me serious migranes. (I dont think the sensitive skin thing will work with me.)

I was cited for tint and no front plates when I had my 00 Prelude. My slick thinking eluded me then. I just continued the case and just paid the bail. 180 bux. Lots o dough, but better than dealing with the ordeal of peeling off tint and drilling holes in my bumper!
Old 05-12-2003 | 10:48 AM
35oZephyR

Default Re: Pulled over by cops for Tint in So. Cal: Need Advice PLEASE!

Originally posted by tekkensux
Hi guys,

I've already been pulled over by cops several times, every time without any legit reason (they haggle me trying to get me on DUI's and let me go when they come to terms that I am sober)
A cop even profiled me as an Asian ganster a month ago and asked my to pull out my gun and my drug stash.

The Z is great, but it's a big hassle in some places....I didn't even want to go to SUNSET but I went to celebrate my friend's wedding next month....

Please help!
Man fug THAT! Pigs in LA will pull you over for anything. Having a Z should be the least of your problems...the cops in Southern Cali don't discriminate on what car you are driving.

If your car looks pretty and you're ethnic looking...bam you're getting pulled over for the slightest infraction. It's like ..being colored I have to be more careful about what I do to my car. No offense to everyone else.

I was pulled over once in a e320 and and the cop asked me "are you a drug dealer you have any drugs in the car??" and right before he left he said "the reason why we pulled you over was because your brake light was out"

My brake light was perfectly fine.

Another time my friend an I were pulled over by.... get this.....
3 unmarked police cars, 2 SUV's and a black surveillance van
they searched the whole car...patted me down...checked my a$$ for tattoos to see if I was in a gang.
They got frustrated because they could not find a dayam thing....
just imagine like a dozen potbelly pepper mustached caucasian (no offense) males... pacing around in dismay.

Then they were like
"The reason why we pulled you over was because your front lights were blue and you can't have that in california"

and they jetted out of their like a bad B movie.

Since when were HID's enough of a threat to have a whole SWAT team pull my colored A$$ over??!??

sorry guys..had to vent!
Old 05-12-2003 | 01:32 PM
cbsuper

You need a front license plate in Cali? Goddamn, that's crap.
Old 05-12-2003 | 08:30 PM
raceboy
Banned

Just have a friend that is a cop! That is one way to get fix it's signed off.

You can always just zip tie the plate to the front grill and get the ticket signed off. If you do that though, make sure to put some nuts and bolts through the holes and maybe a piece of car stereo backstrap behind. Zip tie the backstrap to the grill so it looks permanent. As soon as the cop bails, pull it back off. Or you could find someone here with a Z just like yours, switch plates and then get the tickets signed off so your don't have to remove your tint, but that would be illegal!