Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paddle Shifter OEM wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 04:52 AM
z-u-later

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

James - Any estimate yet on how much this kit will run? I know my question maybe premature but I'm just excited for us 5AT guys to have a "toy" which borders on the "cool factor." We gotta have something once in a while to have the 6MT guys jealous.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:27 AM
james840a

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z-u-later
Is it smooth . . . feels like OEM? I can't wait for your thorough review of your product. Definitely much better than the other product, which requires you to remove your stock wheel. I assume we'll be able to retain cruise & radio controls, correct?
It is smooth as the oem, the little driving around I did this morning, it feels even better then the oem shift **** shifting. But ill do more testing as the week goes by. There wont be any removale of the wheel and all cruise & radio controls will still work. The paddles have there own wires and harness. Plus I’ll try to get a video of my proto type in action.

Originally Posted by reserved
Very interested.
Any potential issues for those of us with valve body upgrades? (can't think how there could be, but just wanted to make sure!)
Its just like shift with oem shift ****, Shouldn’t be a issue with the valve body upgrade if you currently have on.

Originally Posted by gregom
Guys the only thing this would do is tap into the wiring for the manual shift gate, thats it. So you will be able to shift using paddles behind the wheel instead of the shift lever. It wont change speeds of shifting, smoothness, nothing... You still will have to use the shift lever to switch between auto/manual mode and neutral, reverse, and park.

James is there a way you can have an adapter that still allows the shift lever on the right to work at the same time? I'm sure it could be done but I don't know where the wiring is at and if there would be room for a larger adapter to do this.

Looks like I have to jump on the self-list bandwagon here, so...
Yes, there will be an adapter plug so no one would have to splice into wires. When I was wiring mine up this weekend, I saw the plug id have to get(just have to figure out how to get them). It is right in front of the oem shift ****. Yes youll be able to use the paddles or the oem shifter. I took a picture: (first is my wire spliced, second is the Plug)

James - Any estimate yet on how much this kit will run? I know my question maybe premature but I'm just excited for us 5AT guys to have a "toy" which borders on the "cool factor." We gotta have something once in a while to have the 6MT guys jealous.
Not sure yet, as I need to draw up the design and then go talk to couple machine shops. I might even talk to my uncle who knows a few companys that produce military parts.
I think the hardist part to make will be the casing as it will be form modeles plastic. The other parts will be machined out of alum.

Last edited by james840a; 03-10-2008 at 06:29 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:06 PM
gregom

Awesome, keep it up...
Old 03-11-2008, 03:34 AM
Z04

very nice. might be interested in this as well
Old 03-11-2008, 05:58 AM
james840a

WOW, I drove all day yesterday in manual mode. God i love my paddles shifter

For those autocross driving, youd most likely want a wheel mounted paddles. Witch i may also work on too. I got lots of flat momentary switchs for that.

EDIT: HMMM now the brain cells are working again hehe. Wish i had a machine shop handy
Old 03-11-2008, 06:40 AM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by james840a
For those autocross driving, youd most likely want a wheel mounted paddles. Witch i may also work on too. I got lots of flat momentary switchs for that.
That's the one I want! Please make one attached to the wheel so the paddles will move along as you turn the wheel. And if you can make it stealthy, the better.

Last edited by z-u-later; 03-11-2008 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:40 PM
aloh

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Personally, i dont like wheel mounted paddles. If youre doing alot of steering, you might not know where the paddles are, or which one to hit. If the paddles are stationary, you ALWYAS know where they are and wont have an issue like that.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:02 PM
reserved

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is just too good to resist. Sign me up

1. AlvinHuyN
2. z-u-later
3. Oleg
4. Ghost 350z
5. chsia
6. aloh
7.Sergio07350Z
8. Brody350
9. Jgregory124
10. gregom
11. reserved
Old 03-11-2008, 03:12 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Turbocad has a DIY write up (for his FX) to work on G35s over on G35driver.com using late model G35 shifters (color matched!). He used 2 relays, but I'm wondering if you did the same. If you just used the paddles to ground the appropriate wires in the shifter, my thought was the shift would still happen. Turbocad surmised that this would throw a CEL, but I haven't tested to see... If I can get away without using relays, that would simplify the operation. I have a set of OEM late model G35 paddles, ready to install already into my 04 coupe.

Just curious if you used relays - and if you didn't, did you throw a CEL?
Old 03-11-2008, 03:37 PM
james840a

Originally Posted by rcdash
Turbocad has a DIY write up (for his FX) to work on G35s over on G35driver.com using late model G35 shifters (color matched!). He used 2 relays, but I'm wondering if you did the same. If you just used the paddles to ground the appropriate wires in the shifter, my thought was the shift would still happen. Turbocad surmised that this would throw a CEL, but I haven't tested to see... If I can get away without using relays, that would simplify the operation. I have a set of OEM late model G35 paddles, ready to install already into my 04 coupe.

Just curious if you used relays - and if you didn't, did you throw a CEL?
Nope, my design does not use relays at all, for the column paddles. I did read the DIY turbocad made. Its pretty much a simple wire hook up. Im using the same switches that are in the oem shifter, just have them in the paddles. If you follow his wire diagram, you can see that it is a double by-pass, 2 sets of switches working in series. That way you can use ether the shift **** or the paddles shifters. On his he is using relay as the switches. The switches on the paddles activate the realys. < there is a small delay with that process, but not much because you are using one switch to activate another switch that grounds the signal. When the shifter is then in auto mode, the paddle shifters do not work, as the ground is by-passed.

"I have a set of OEM late model G35 paddles, ready to install already into my 04 coupe."
there might be a problem, i wrote in the DIY, that on the right side of the column, the key cylinder on the 350z is right there just behind the wipe arm, were as on the G35 it is not located in the column. So the G35 paddle shifter switch would have to be majorly modified for the short depth on the right side. And those paddles you would have to use the relay setup.

No CEL lights throw.

Last edited by james840a; 03-11-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:05 PM
gregom

I've autocrossed a GTI with the DSG gearbox and the little shifters on the wheel and it was a major problem for me. I want mine mounted to the column and not the wheel.

I hope you can do this James, I will probably buy as soon as you have a set avail.

Last edited by gregom; 03-12-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:45 AM
z-u-later

Bump . . . for a daily update.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:09 PM
gregom

Too-doo-loo.... any updates? Having any luck getting fabrication arranged?
Old 03-18-2008, 04:39 PM
gregom

What the heck you get arrested? Hope everythings alright... looking forward to these paddle shifters...
Old 03-18-2008, 08:09 PM
fabre80

Holy smokes sing me up as well!!!
1. AlvinHuyN
2. z-u-later
3. Oleg
4. Ghost 350z
5. chsia
6. aloh
7.Sergio07350Z
8. Brody350
9. Jgregory124
10. gregom
11. reserved
12.Fabre80
Old 03-20-2008, 09:37 PM
whitew

Default I'm interested.

I want mine mounted to the column and not the wheel.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:20 PM
gregom

He said it was mounted to the column... theres a few here that want it on the wheel though.

What the hell happened to James though?
Old 03-21-2008, 02:48 PM
z-u-later

^+1 on an update from James . . . we're not letting you off the hook that easy!
Old 03-21-2008, 05:56 PM
clarkemtp

Ohhhh HELL yes!

1. AlvinHuyN
2. z-u-later
3. Oleg
4. Ghost 350z
5. chsia
6. aloh
7.Sergio07350Z
8. Brody350
9. Jgregory124
10. gregom
11. reserved
12.Fabre80
13. Clarkemtp
Old 03-22-2008, 07:12 AM
james840a

^+1 on an update from James . . . we're not letting you off the hook that easy!

dont worry, i havent forgot about you guys. This week was pretty crazy at work and it was driving me nuts.

Since my dad is retired hes going to help on the patent side of it and the funding. The paddles are working wonderfuly I havent been able to draw up the plans yet, but now since i get fridays off from cut backs at our office, ill have more time to work on this. I do need to find a company localy that can do 3D scanning, so i can get the OEM column scanned that way i can get the parts to match perfectly and not have any gaps. My boss gave me a couple places to check out as far as machine shops and coaters. The case im thinking of making out on Alumn since it maybe easyer to make then doing fourm modeling. As for the paddels themselfs, the shape will be a little different then my proto-type, and have more sports car style.

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifter OEM wheel