Sponsored by:

Hey Guys Here are some pics of my Z with the esprit kit replica and volks

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 04:58 PM
Stewie
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by TriX
People are flaming ADR wheels because they are a knock off but buy replica knock off kits? how in the hell do you justify that logic?
My sentiments exactly
Old 08-06-2003, 05:31 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by TriX

People are flaming ADR wheels because they are a knock off but buy replica knock off kits? how in the hell do you justify that logic?
I'm pretty neutral on this subject....I'll buy whatever is proportional to my cash flow at the moment. If I have enough i'll go for the "real deal".

I think the reason why folks flame knock off wheels in general is simply because knock-offs are notorious for bending and denting. Alot of these companies come out of nowhere and they don't have the reputation and backing that most quality wheel makers have. People don't want a wheel that might go wrong on a minor pot hole.

With Replica/Genuine kits...MOST of the time you just get lucky and the kit is as good as the body shop that paints it. People might argue that real kits won't crack and the replica counterparts are cheaper made but this is not apparently common. Most kits are just aesthetics therefore the reliability is not as big of a factor as it is on rims.

This is not my opinion just my reflection of how most people would "justify" it. (My friends and I have had this debate)

"If a gorgeous girl has implants instead of real boobies....guys are gonna still check her out"
Old 08-06-2003, 05:49 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of you guys need to learn to express opinions respectfully.

You can disagree but don't be an ***.

My view on it.

Buy replicas if the quality is good. I wouldn't buy ADR's because they have bad quality, I would however buy a replica kit from a reputable manufacturer.

IPT, please send me some high resolution shots of your car.

mikewazowski@***.net

- Miktor
Old 08-06-2003, 06:47 PM
old_s13

I think it depends on the part being fabricated and copied. Certain products dont take much ingenuity to create, for instance, a strut tower bar; they usually consist of two plates and a bar. As long as the strut tower bar is sturdy, is serves its purpose. Higher-quality manufacturers offer STB's made of higher quality material, so obviously they will cost more. In this case, the material is responsible for the high price tag (aluminum vs titanium, for instance).

However, the same concept applies to body kits. If a company COPIES another company's product, chances are the quality of the kit is not their top concern. Think about it, if a company doesnt have the creativity OR respect to fabricate their own product, what makes you think they are going to put the time and effort into even R&D'ing the item they are copying?

This is why you GET what you PAY for. Pay for a knock-off body kit, expect lesser quality and poorer fitment. Expect things like inconsistencies in manufacturing, poorer customer service, and lack of attention to detail.

This is why I dont support companies like APC, VIS, or any other company that steals an idea and attempts to monopolize on them. In the longrun, its ALWAYS the customer who ends up suffering. If you dont mind repairing your knock-off body kit and adding layer after layer of paint on your car, go ahead. If you dont mind dismounting your knock-off wheels and having them re-straightened, go ahead. Me? I will always chose a quality product over all else. I've found that there are just TOO many products that dont even meet, let alone exceed, the quality of OEM.

Things cost money because they save money.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:57 PM
old_s13

Originally posted by Stuey
...and as far as fake kits on covers, import tuner has alot of shitty cars on their covers, but hte actual nice ones they have are real, such as Keith's MRS that was on the latest issue, the RS-R Z which was real Nismo, and Ricky's 240sx which was real Bomex just to name a few
Ah yes, Import Tuner -- The Pinnacle of Automotive Magazines

I wont comment on the other cars, but the owner of that 240SX (which is definately not an S15) needs to take Bomex's advice:

"Pray to the god of bomex, I hope your speed over the rival."

Poor guy, he owns a body kit and the manufacturer of that kit suggests that the owner should make a prayer in order to win against his rivals! HAHA!!! Thats like telling your friends you are getting married and your best man pats you on the back and says "good luck."

I dont understand how people can be part of a "race team" and not race. That car doesnt even get driven. (sigh) Oh well...

Last edited by old_s13; 08-06-2003 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:57 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

the only credit ill give VIS is weve run over a hood of theres and it didnt crack or bend
Old 08-07-2003, 06:08 AM
Just-Cruising

Question Volk SF winning

Love your wheels!!!!!!!
How much you got them for?
Thank you.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:26 PM
TriX

Originally posted by Mike Wazowski
Some of you guys need to learn to express opinions respectfully.

You can disagree but don't be an ***.

My view on it.

Buy replicas if the quality is good. I wouldn't buy ADR's because they have bad quality, I would however buy a replica kit from a reputable manufacturer.

IPT, please send me some high resolution shots of your car.

mikewazowski@***.net

- Miktor
well i was actually just asking because i saw some members getting adr's and quite a few were very happy with them. both look wise and perfomance wise.
Old 08-13-2003, 01:42 AM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Where do i buy the real kit? !

IPT,
Hey I'm hearing a lot of people raggin on your kit because its replica. But to tell u the truth. B4 i saw your kit i never even thought that any body kit would do the 350z justice and more importantly I'd never get one for myself. But since seeing your kit I'm totally interested in buyin it, at least the front end. Its gorgeous. I've searched many sites online and seems like 350zforums.org has a great deal on the kit but its still the "replica" kit. which IMO looks great but i hate fiberglass kits. Therefore if you or anyone on this forum can help me out to find the real deal on this kit? Plz dun tell me to fly to Japan to order it or something because thats impossible for me. so is there any vendors that sell the real kit? plz let me know.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:02 AM
havabooz

hate to dissapoint you but the real kit is fiberglass too

might as well buy the replica

otherwise look into a urethane kit (strongest material)

kaminari has one

and veilside is comin out with one

fiberglass will be fine on teh sides and rear

im not too sure about the front (easily crackable especially where i live)..thats why im waiting for the veilside urethane front
Old 08-13-2003, 09:36 AM
swifty949

i agree with S13, everything he says is true. I'm in the business. Many times the original body kit is not designed only for the intention of looks. After all there is hardly a show circuit in Japan. These kits were created to be driven on the road. The fiberglass used are different than the ones that replicas are made of. Just look at the inside of the bumper. An original will have a dull finish, and will be very smooth. The bumper will be lighter, and the fibers are longer. Look at the back of a fake, it's blotchy with excessive resin, and weights a crap load. The replicas are brittle, and are a lot easier to damage compared to the originals.

With anything people, you get what you pay for. As for my philoshiphy when buying parts for the car. Only the best parts go on my car, regardless of cost. If i dont have the money, guess what... I SAVE till i do. I'm sure I've saved a lot of money in the long run with running high quality parts. (by high quality i'm refering to build quality...not a part that looks good after countless man hours of correction)

I like the Esprit kit, its awesome. As far as respect, i'm afraid I have none for your car. Your carbon engine bay covers may be great, but how would you like a company like VIS to start making an exact replica in china and sell them for 1/4 of a price of yours. Your in the manufacturing business of original parts...respect other original manufactures.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:51 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

amen
Old 08-13-2003, 09:55 AM
MATIX

Default Re: Where do i buy the real kit? !

Originally posted by HOMiEZ
IPT,
Hey I'm hearing a lot of people raggin on your kit because its replica. But to tell u the truth. B4 i saw your kit i never even thought that any body kit would do the 350z justice and more importantly I'd never get one for myself. But since seeing your kit I'm totally interested in buyin it, at least the front end. Its gorgeous. I've searched many sites online and seems like 350zforums.org has a great deal on the kit but its still the "replica" kit. which IMO looks great but i hate fiberglass kits. Therefore if you or anyone on this forum can help me out to find the real deal on this kit? Plz dun tell me to fly to Japan to order it or something because thats impossible for me. so is there any vendors that sell the real kit? plz let me know.
Please check your PM's.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:48 AM
IPT

Originally posted by swifty949
i agree with S13, everything he says is true. I'm in the business. Many times the original body kit is not designed only for the intention of looks. After all there is hardly a show circuit in Japan. These kits were created to be driven on the road. The fiberglass used are different than the ones that replicas are made of. Just look at the inside of the bumper. An original will have a dull finish, and will be very smooth. The bumper will be lighter, and the fibers are longer. Look at the back of a fake, it's blotchy with excessive resin, and weights a crap load. The replicas are brittle, and are a lot easier to damage compared to the originals.

With anything people, you get what you pay for. As for my philoshiphy when buying parts for the car. Only the best parts go on my car, regardless of cost. If i dont have the money, guess what... I SAVE till i do. I'm sure I've saved a lot of money in the long run with running high quality parts. (by high quality i'm refering to build quality...not a part that looks good after countless man hours of correction)

I like the Esprit kit, its awesome. As far as respect, i'm afraid I have none for your car. Your carbon engine bay covers may be great, but how would you like a company like VIS to start making an exact replica in china and sell them for 1/4 of a price of yours. Your in the manufacturing business of original parts...respect other original manufactures.

Good point but you have no idea what the quality of this kit is ?

Your just going by one word "replica"

Untill you have seen you can't really make a statment about the quality of the kit.

IPT
Old 08-13-2003, 11:57 AM
Da Gimp

looks clean, I like it
Old 08-13-2003, 12:41 PM
ZLuva

The bottom line is the car looks good. You guys need to stop Hatin'. Let him use whateveer he wants on his car. The truth is if he wouldn't have said that it was a replica and you saw it at a show you'd be sweatin' him tryin' to find out where he got it from.
Yo IPT do your thing man and don't worry about the HATERS!
Old 08-13-2003, 07:39 PM
Red6

I agree its about time someone brought this to the table. Your prices are high for your cover, and quality is very good. This is the same situation as true JDM body kits like Esprit.

Like this man states what if someone made an exact replica of your Z cover. They made it little thinner, used wet laminate carbon fiber, and used your exact same design. The end rusult was that the look was exacly the same, price was cheaper, and fit was exact.

Face it you would be pissed Parker. You went through designing, making a mold, advertising, and marketing of your Z cover. You would loose money if someone stole your product and made a mold out of it. Your consumer would get hurt too and get a lower quality product.

Its the same situation here. Its a shame that the 350Z scene even at this level is pleaged with cheap impatient people. To hear this from a person who has money and 7 years expereince in building cars is actually worse.

IPT is in the Import bussiness and boosts about its high quality products. Yet IPT goes ahead and buys a knock off kit. Something definatly wrong with your bussiness ethics here.

The people who get burned are the hard working desigers and the producers like yourself. Its a shame that a person in the same industry cannot see the contradiction. This is what makes the import scene so shady.

Last edited by Red6; 08-13-2003 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:04 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

its good to have people join my fight against replicas
Old 08-14-2003, 08:48 AM
350Zforums
Banned

problem is we are copying FGlass to Fglass so you wont see a difference.

Lam vs 100% CF covers you will always see the diff. Especially when you have to velcro the copy on and the IPT is a replacement part.

IT is a 50/50 argument but you have to use an example that clearly is like the kit. I cannot believe that there are this many posts about a stinking kit. Oh well as long as everyone is spaying and neutring their animals right Bob B?
Old 08-14-2003, 09:46 AM
swifty949

Originally posted by 350zforums
problem is we are copying FGlass to Fglass so you wont see a difference.

Lam vs 100% CF covers you will always see the diff. Especially when you have to velcro the copy on and the IPT is a replacement part.

IT is a 50/50 argument but you have to use an example that clearly is like the kit. I cannot believe that there are this many posts about a stinking kit. Oh well as long as everyone is spaying and neutring their animals right Bob B?
Not all Fiberglass is created equal.

The sad fact is, more copies will be sold than the originals. Who makes the money? The original designers, or the people that leach off them? What's bad is also the people that support the market for imitation products.

Quick Reply: Hey Guys Here are some pics of my Z with the esprit kit replica and volks