Sponsored by:

baby seat in the back

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 11:39 AM
quietkilla6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default baby seat in the back

HAPPY NEW YEAR
I have a 3 year old daughter and i CANT get rid of the z. I have alot of over head on my 04 and with the 370z coming i have a feeling its only going to get worse. I remeber seeing pics of a z with a baby seat in the back. They had to remove the rear dash(?) with the speakers, cubbies and glove compartment . What do you guys think? Is it realistic goal? i figure it will cost less than buying and insuring a four seater but i dont want to get neck deep into something impossible. i dont want a entire back seat just like a racaro medium size seat bolted in like a regular seat. Does anyone have a pic of a stripped z trunk interior? opinions please?
Old 01-01-2009, 11:53 AM
calin
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're going to strip the interior just to fit a child seat in there?

Why not just go out and buy a beater Civic if you want a back seat?
Old 01-01-2009, 11:53 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,302 Likes on 903 Posts

Sorry to disappoint, but the Z is a true two passenger sportscar. It's impossible to completely remove the rear storage area, as the plastic covers a steel structure that is a welded part of the chassis. Realistically, you'd be better off coming up with a PS airbag deactivation switch if you had to strap a baby seat into it.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:56 AM
MastaMind

Sure, just throw your baby in the hatch of a two seat sports car. I mean, it's just a ****ing kid, right? You can always have more.

Listen, if you have a kid, you have to make sacrifices. Put your baby girl in a car made to accommodate her.

What, exactly, made you think this was a good idea? It makes me question if you should be breeding.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:57 AM
usmanasif

Are you KIDDING ME? You want to install a baby seat in the HATCH? WTF do you think would happen in case of crash in a car that was never designed to have passengers sitting in the back?

Sometimes people's thought process makes me want to puke...
Old 01-01-2009, 12:00 PM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just get a g35. You will then have a back seat.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:11 PM
quietkilla6

wow you guys are awsome thanks for all the help
i dont see how bolting a seat in the middle of the back of the car is any more dangerous than a civic. With the proper restarints and bolts holding the seat down theres no reason it would be any different from a back seat of any other car. im not going to duck tape her in WTF? how Dare you question my abillty to be a parent? seriously? im asking whether the opportuity is there im not saying im already in the process. With how deep im in with my car loan and how much i like my car im looking for a chance to meet in the middle.

Last edited by quietkilla6; 01-01-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:15 PM
calin
Banned

It's not possible....
Old 01-01-2009, 12:15 PM
cdoxp800

Originally Posted by quietkilla6
wow you guys are awsome thanks for all the help
i dont see how bolting a seat in the middle of the back of the car is any more dangerous than a civic. With the proper restarints and bolts holding the seat down theres no reason it would be any different from a back seat of any other car. im not going to duck tape her in WTF? how Dare you question my abillty to be a parent? seriously? im asking whether the opportuity is there im not saying im already in the process. With how deep im in with my car loan and how much i like my car im looking for a chance to meet in the middle.
Bolting a " Home made Child seat " in the back of your Z will not Pass for child seat safety. Just take it down to the police station or local fire department.

Are you insane. do you not value your child's life? Just trade your Z for a G35.

I am not trying to criticize you, but rather save a childes life.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:19 PM
quietkilla6

Its not like im going to track the F***in thing with her in it. In fact shes would only be in it for very short periods of time, going to the store, ect.
Like i said im only asking if its possible. if i wanted parenting advice trust me this forum wouldnt be my first choice.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:31 PM
cdoxp800

Its not like im going to track the F***in thing with her in it. In fact shes would only be in it for very short periods of time, going to the store, ect.
Like i said im only asking if its possible. if i wanted parenting advice trust me this forum wouldnt be my first choice.

Ok. yes it is possible. No it is not safe. If you where pulled over you would be sited and Child service would be contacted. You would be put under investigation for child endangerment.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:39 PM
MethodRN
For Sale

I'm sorry, but I'm a parent too and that has got to be one of the stupidest questions. I understand you're not asking for parenting advice, but it puts in question your judgement to even consider something like this. Think about it..... Even if you were able to strip the interior to a point where you could "bolt" the proper mounting points to secure an approved child seat in, it would mean that you have removed structural rigidity to the vehicle. Now would you really want to stick a child in a car that would buckle during an accident?

Is it possible.... Probably, but the cost alone would be as much as you're upside down on the Z.
Would it be safe..... Probably not for you or your child

I would much rather take the upside down hit and get into a cheap a$$ beater then risk my child in a "home" made rear compartment area because it was the cheaper option.

I'm curious though.... Your child is 3, your Z is an '04 so you've had the car for at least 4 years? So what have you been doing with her during this time period? Why didn't you have the foresight 3 years ago to get out of the Z when you first got word you were gonna be a father? If you haven't had the car for at least 4 years, then why did you get it in the first place knowing you have a kid and the car has no back seat?

BTW.... Happy New Year (Wouldn't want you to think that I'm a complete A$$hole)
Old 01-01-2009, 12:50 PM
05Z33

I think it's time to put your childs safety before your personal wants. If you can't afford a second car for your child, then you need to get rid of the Z. I'm not saying you're a bad parent. I just think you're making an imature decision to even think about ripping out the rear to add a child seat. As a Paramedic Firefighter I've seen kids get killed due to poor choices made by thier parents. You should consider switching to a G35.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:53 PM
MethodRN
For Sale

Getting a G35 is a cool option because you still get the sportiness of the Z, but if you're upside down on the Z, then tacking on that cost on top of the cost of even a used G3G won't help you. I think you need to suck up your pride and trade the Z in for something that is cheap enough that you can still afford even with the upside down cost added on.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:08 PM
SoldzMyZ

Do you guys think its okay to have a child molester baby sit my kid? Its a serious question. Like what are the chances? Its only when I need to run a quick 30 min errand.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:27 PM
AshMan
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Originally Posted by 05Z33
I think it's time to put your childs safety before your personal wants. If you can't afford a second car for your child, then you need to get rid of the Z.
Exactly. Plus how much would you spend retrofitting it? I saw a Civic for 2K the other day. Take out a loan & pay it off fast.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:22 PM
quietkilla6

Originally Posted by MethodRN
I'm sorry, but I'm a parent too and that has got to be one of the stupidest questions. I understand you're not asking for parenting advice, but it puts in question your judgement to even consider something like this. Think about it..... Even if you were able to strip the interior to a point where you could "bolt" the proper mounting points to secure an approved child seat in, it would mean that you have removed structural rigidity to the vehicle. Now would you really want to stick a child in a car that would buckle during an accident?

Is it possible.... Probably, but the cost alone would be as much as you're upside down on the Z.
Would it be safe..... Probably not for you or your child

I would much rather take the upside down hit and get into a cheap a$$ beater then risk my child in a "home" made rear compartment area because it was the cheaper option.

I'm curious though.... Your child is 3, your Z is an '04 so you've had the car for at least 4 years? So what have you been doing with her during this time period? Why didn't you have the foresight 3 years ago to get out of the Z when you first got word you were gonna be a father? If you haven't had the car for at least 4 years, then why did you get it in the first place knowing you have a kid and the car has no back seat?
BTW.... Happy New Year (Wouldn't want you to think that I'm a complete A$$hole)
im not her biologicle father, i dated her mother in high school. She moved to another state got married had a kid with a worhtless person and returned looking for me. He gave up on them and joined the navy. We had a great friendship so when she found me (myspace) we started dateing 2 years ago. i bought the car 6 months later (1.5 years ago) with no insight on wether or not we would stay together. Now we are getting serious and ive been the only thing her daughter has ever known close to a father. Considering he wasnt around even when he had the chance the first year she was alive.
Its really hinderd my relationship with her daughter and her because we cant go out and do things together.

Originally Posted by 05Z33
I think it's time to put your childs safety before your personal wants. If you can't afford a second car for your child, then you need to get rid of the Z. I'm not saying you're a bad parent. I just think you're making an imature decision to even think about ripping out the rear to add a child seat. As a Paramedic Firefighter I've seen kids get killed due to poor choices made by thier parents. You should consider switching to a G35.
^^ Thats the answer id expect from the group of so called ADULTs that frequent this sight. THANK YOU I only wanted to know how realistic this was. Ive been a nissan enthusiast since i knew what a car was and wanted to keep the car if possible. I wouldnt make a decision that would risk my daughters life thats why instead of just going at it i wanted to see what the realism of doing this is.
Ive been holding ice on my ego and sitting on the phone with dealerships since i made this thread looking for other possabilitys.

thanks to the few that acctually helped me relise what would be involved and weight the options.
Can someone close this thread now?
Old 01-01-2009, 02:32 PM
05Z33

im not her biologicle father, i dated her mother in high school. She moved to another state got married had a kid with a worhtless person and returned looking for me. He gave up on them and joined the navy. We had a great friendship so when she found me (myspace) we started dateing 2 years ago. i bought the car 6 months later (1.5 years ago) with no insight on wether or not we would stay together. Now we are getting serious and ive been the only thing her daughter has ever known close to a father. Considering he wasnt around even when he had the chance the first year she was alive.
Its really hinderd my relationship with her daughter and her because we cant go out and do things together.

^^ Thats the answer id expect from the group of so called ADULTs that frequent this sight. THANK YOU I only wanted to know how realistic this was. Ive been a nissan enthusiast since i knew what a car was and wanted to keep the car if possible. I wouldnt make a decision that would risk my daughters life thats why instead of just going at it i wanted to see what the realism of doing this is.
Ive been holding ice on my ego and sitting on the phone with dealerships since i made this thread looking for other possabilitys.

thanks to the few that acctually helped me relise what would be involved and weight the options.
Can someone close this thread now?
^^ This group of so called ADULTs that frequent this sight aren't the ones looking to put their child in the trunk of their Z. Glad we could help.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:39 PM
AshMan
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

HAPPY NEW YEAR
I have a 3 year old daughter and i CANT get rid of the z.
If you would have explained your situation more in depth in the 1st place then you would have gotten different responses. Now that you've explained your situation more, I would think the consensus is still "don't do it" & "it's not a realistic goal" You should have 2 cars anyway just in case of emergencies. I'm not flaming ya, just giving you my opinion.

I would think that your girlfriend would have had a car all ready. Since it's not your kid & not by law technically your responsibility. I've always been taught to take care of yourself 1st & once you're under control, then you worry about everything else. It has to be that way if y'all plan on getting more serious.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:39 PM
DanielW
Banned

HAPPY NEW YEAR
I have a 3 year old daughter and i CANT get rid of the z. I have alot of over head on my 04 and with the 370z coming i have a feeling its only going to get worse. I remeber seeing pics of a z with a baby seat in the back. They had to remove the rear dash(?) with the speakers, cubbies and glove compartment . What do you guys think? Is it realistic goal? i figure it will cost less than buying and insuring a four seater but i dont want to get neck deep into something impossible. i dont want a entire back seat just like a racaro medium size seat bolted in like a regular seat. Does anyone have a pic of a stripped z trunk interior? opinions please?
you my friend are in crisis. Time to get something else or trade in the z

Quick Reply: baby seat in the back