Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took out my headliner..then threw up!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 01:36 PM
vnarang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn, this would suck if you smoke in your car or hotbox it. your car will smell like sh*t haha
Old 01-20-2009, 09:48 PM
orgasm_donor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Entaille
if anyones curious, I contacted a couple of local upholstry shops and both quotes were around 250$ assuming I pulled the headliner out and dropped it off there. there's also some folks in the NW section who offer this at a similar cost.

I think I'd rather DIY. a few questions if you'd be so kind : )

when you wrap the suede around the edges, how far on the top side do you wrap and cement it down? just the edges, do you bring it in 6 inches?

if we lack a sprayer, do you have a suggestion for what kind of glue to utilize? I imagine the best results come from every square inch being glued down?

do you have a rough estimate of how much suede was required? did you cut any certain dimensions prior to wrapping it? for the square where the doorlights poke through, did you originally just wrap the entire thing (thus covering that square) then cut a square out of the square and wrap the edges above it to keep it open, or how did you do that part?

appreciate your help : ]
When getting my piece to wrap, I make sure I cut it about 10" too long to leave some room for error. I overlap about 5-6 inches all around then cut that down further once the initial glue-down has been completed. I leave about 2 inches to be wrapped around the edges. No need to leave more. I got right over the holes where the light fixture goes and the visors mount to then cut out and wrap those edges too.

3M makes some decent spray glue. You can also get this stuff: http://glueplace.com/185-spray-adhes.html but I really don't think it will last with the amount of moisture trapped in between the headliner and roof. Only true sprayable contact cement will guarantee against that.

A very important thing to consider is the 'bleed through' of the glue on the fabric. You need to test a small piece first to see how much glue you can spray on. With that 185 stuff, you need to spray two light coats on the fabric and 3 heavier coats on the plastic. Wait a few minutes until tacky, then apply. A second person to help is always recommended!

Originally Posted by vnarang
damn, this would suck if you smoke in your car or hotbox it. your car will smell like sh*t haha
Smoking in my car is punishable with a pair of rusty vicegrips to the ******* or labia. Just a nice warning!