Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nismo GT Shift Knob = short shifter feel

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 10:57 AM
Blue Liquid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nismo GT Shift **** = short shifter feel

After installing my Nismo GT titanium shift ****, I realized what a difference it makes in the feel of the shifter now. It's about half the total height of the stock ****, and effectively gives the feel of installing a short shifter, with the throws shorter and more precise feeling now. For those who are unsure about swapping the stock unit, go for it. In my opinion, it truly inproved the overall feel (not to mention the looks).

Somehwere in the archives is a thread with good pics of the two side by side, and you can see just how much smaller the Nismo **** is. There's also some good in-car pics in that thread as well.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:02 PM
tommym

did you install the new one yourself, or did you take it to the shop? I have the shifter, but i haven't installed it yet...feels like i am going to break something if it try to remove the old one.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:08 PM
lowrider

The proper removal method is to go under the shifter bezel and put a set of vise grips clamped on the shifter rod. then get an old piece of rubber (hose) and a set of Channel Locks and turn counter clockwise at the base of the ****, while holding the vise grip steady.

Lou
Old 09-16-2003, 03:58 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just added the titanium one to my car and your right. I feels great and fits in your hand much better!! Took about 5 mins to change out. The rubber hose thing didn't work for me so I just clamped down on the poor shifter shaft. Left a couple little marks, but it's below the boot.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:09 PM
350z4steve

Originally posted by Jeff@Performance
I just added the titanium one to my car and your right. I feels great and fits in your hand much better!! Took about 5 mins to change out. The rubber hose thing didn't work for me so I just clamped down on the poor shifter shaft. Left a couple little marks, but it's below the boot.
what are these going for ?
Old 09-17-2003, 12:08 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by 350z4steve
what are these going for ?
$108. Click on our banner and check it out. This is not the one with the screw in the top center. Those won't be available from us until October. I must admit that the car was sitting in the sun the other day and the **** gets a little warm.... but well worth it to me.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:34 AM
Blue Liquid

I installed it myself. Took less than 5 minutes. The stock **** comes off simply by twisting it couter-clockwise. It's hard, but it will slowly start to screw off. So yeah, I recommend you stabilize the sifter arm (rod, whatever) with vice grips before twisting the shift ****. This will stabilize the shifter and help keep it from twisting while you're turning the **** really hard. Mine is the one with the hex bolt in the top, I'm not familiar with the other mentioned. And about the heat thing, I keep a small piece of cloth in the car, so when I just start out on a hot summer day, I use the cloth for a few minutes until the **** can cool down. Otherwise, you're looking at 2nd degree burns! Same thing in the winter, when holding onto a 5 degree metal shift **** will drain the heat out of you like a vampire. But these inconveniences aside, it really does fit the hand well, much better than stock, IMO.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:17 PM
Sanderman

Combine one of these with a short throw shift kit (I have Dweebs) and it TRANSFORMS the feel and usability of the tranny.

joe
Old 10-02-2003, 05:40 AM
jmark

Originally posted by Jeff@Performance
$108. Click on our banner and check it out. This is not the one with the screw in the top center. Those won't be available from us until October. I must admit that the car was sitting in the sun the other day and the **** gets a little warm.... but well worth it to me.
Jeff,

Any updates on the Nismo Titanium GT shift ****? I know it is hard to believe it is October......
Old 10-02-2003, 10:28 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by jmark
Jeff,

Any updates on the Nismo Titanium GT shift ****? I know it is hard to believe it is October......
Sorry, they said October, but they meant LATE October. We will let you know as soon as they are available, as there are several of you interested. Thanks for checking with me first
Old 10-02-2003, 10:46 AM
mdacko

which shift **** do you guys like better, the one with the screw in the top, or the one with the flat top. Anyone got a pic of either one with the shift pattern decal actually on the ****? I'd like to see what they look like with the pattern on before I decide which one to buy. thanks
Old 10-02-2003, 11:57 AM
Blue Liquid

I left the shift pattern stickers off, I felt the pure **** looked cleaner (with hex screw on top). Search and you'll find a thread on here with good pics of what it looks like installed. Interestingly, they provided two stickers, one for a 5 speed, another for a 6.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:50 AM
jmark

Replaced my OEM **** today with the NISMO GT Titanium shift ****. Just lifted the console surronding the shifter, put a wrench on the shifter below and twisted the **** off. New **** fits my hand better. I'll give more feedback after driving with it for awhile. Probably sell my OEM ****. Thanks Jeff & Jenny!
Old 11-27-2003, 12:37 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

You were able to get your stock **** off without ripping it apart? Mine got pretty damaged, but then again I did not really care what happend to it.

Glad you like the ****!

I have the Black Hard Rubber GT Shift **** which is exactly the same as the titanium but different material. Slightly lighter.

I love the way both the Titanium GT **** and the Black GT **** install. I want to get a silver bolt for the top of my Black **** though. Want to trade your silver for my black one

J/k... Ill find one at a hardware store hopefully.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:50 PM
jmark

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
You were able to get your stock **** off without ripping it apart? Mine got pretty damaged, but then again I did not really care what happend to it.

Glad you like the ****!

I have the Black Hard Rubber GT Shift **** which is exactly the same as the titanium but different material. Slightly lighter.

I love the way both the Titanium GT **** and the Black GT **** install. I want to get a silver bolt for the top of my Black **** though. Want to trade your silver for my black one

J/k... Ill find one at a hardware store hopefully.
Jason,
Once I broke it loss it came off without a hitch. I think the key is keeping it from twisting down low. I was trying to not damage it in case I wanted to go back to the OEM **** or sell the OEM ****. Probably sell the OEM ****.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:44 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by jmark
Jason,
Once I broke it loss it came off without a hitch. I think the key is keeping it from twisting down low. I was trying to not damage it in case I wanted to go back to the OEM **** or sell the OEM ****. Probably sell the OEM ****.
Yeah, I know. We just took two sets of vice grips, one on the shifter below and one on the ****, didn't bother getting a rag or anything, it was already ripped so didn't care as much.

It was fun to do though

I dont think I could ever go back to the stock ****. The GT **** makes shifting soo much nicer in the Z.
Old 11-27-2003, 05:32 PM
lowrider

Jason

Rember, about a month or so ago, I asked about a Nismo **** done in leather, you answered me that you couldn't find it?

Well, it here:

http://www.nismo.co.jp/

I'm still interested.

Lou
Old 11-27-2003, 07:59 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by lowrider
Jason

Rember, about a month or so ago, I asked about a Nismo **** done in leather, you answered me that you couldn't find it?

Well, it here:

http://www.nismo.co.jp/

I'm still interested.

Lou
I did?

Which nismo ****?

THis one?

Leather Shift **** $31

The decal says its for 5spd' but you dont need to put the sticker on.