Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi style LED strips

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 05:44 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it was a stupid idea for audi to do this on their lights, looks even worse on a Z.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:47 AM
Get_Zwole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
not feeling it at all, and up close its not even at all.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:07 AM
3FIDDYZED

Originally Posted by cheneymatthews
I just did another search for Audi style lights... um, the only people that have even attempted this is CinCity? So.. what you talking about research wise?!

As far as leaving things for the professionals? You guys need to ease off the intensity. I'm a med resident not a modder. I realize that some of you guys spend every waking moment on this forum and the rest of your time on your cars, but for the rest of us it's all sh*ts and giggles. Of course money is an issue?! Otherwise I'd be driving an Audi! Good thinking! These cars are cheap, which is why I can afford to drive a used one with dents and scrapes... so take some breaths, ease off on the caffeine and hope that I can do a better job removing your spleen than fixing your headlights. Right Jekl and Volk!! Simmer, you drive a Z not a Ferrari.
There is always Mike @ Clearcorners.com

Props for you for trying mate, but if your going to try, have a look at the guys (Clearcorners, CinCity etc etc) that do it and then "imitate", there is a reason why they go for less, ie heat etc and looks... afterall they are in it to make money and if they were selling "gash" products they wouldnt be in it for long!

Your right that the Zed isnt a Ferrari, but then its not a $1000 bucket and shouldnt be treated as one....

Oh and once you put up your mods, be prepared for the haters, there will always be one or 2. If your happy with the way it looks then so be it, its your car not theirs... Just take it as constructive criticism... After all your LED's dont line up! There not wrong! Just prove them wrong by trying to sort out the bits you have done and get them right!
Old 04-27-2009, 06:38 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

Old 04-27-2009, 07:24 AM
xdrius
ZL33PR

IMHO any mod that tries to make a Z look like another car = FAIL.
LED lights (like Audis), Lambo doors, side grills (like M3s), GTR stickers, etc...

The Z is a unique car. There's no need to emulate other cars. Just my two cents.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:29 AM
3FIDDYZED

Originally Posted by xdrius
IMHO any mod that tries to make a Z look like another car = FAIL.
LED lights (like Audis), Lambo doors, side grills (like M3s), GTR stickers, etc...

The Z is a unique car. There's no need to emulate other cars. Just my two cents.
FYI, AJ Panchal's original designs show the Zed with LED strip sidelights, LED sidemarkers and LED's in the door handles where the 3 square dots are for illumination when you open the car.... The only reason these wernt on the original car was down to production costs...
Old 04-27-2009, 08:43 AM
JEKL

Thank you for making my case that it is a nonstandard word = not a word.

I like this definition better.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...m=irregardless

Here is it used in a sentence.... Irregardless if it can be found in Merriam-Webster or not, the word contradicts itself and when used it proves your lack of intelligence.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:28 AM
cheneymatthews

Originally Posted by jekl1000
Irregardless is not a word. It is a double negative. So that aint no good word to use.

Oh yeah, an +1 on those lights not being aligned.
"According to the Oxford English Dictionary, Irregardless was first acknowledged in 1912 by the Wentworth American Dialect Dictionary as originating from western Indiana. Barely a decade later, the usage dispute over irregardless was such that, in 1923, Literary Digest published an article titled "Is There Such a Word as Irregardless in the English Language?"[2]"

"Aint" no big deal is it Jekl? I think anyone driving a homoerotic, old-school, blue Jaguar would think twice about taking stabs at anyone's intelligence. I'd love to know what your occupation is, I'm sure it will define the eccentricities of your extensive vocabulary and heightened intellect. "Fcktard", clever.. I like it, you must have creatively come up with that on your own.
Attached Thumbnails Audi style LED strips-user126119_pic12931_1237338563.jpg  
Old 04-27-2009, 11:29 AM
cheneymatthews

Good job on the Wikipedia genius.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:38 AM
cheneymatthews

Originally Posted by Prone
Don't get your panties in a bunch, any mod you do has to have some sort of research behind it. This site is not the only form of info you can get, albeit a good one but not the only one. If you have ever seen an Audi R8 or A5 you can count way less than forty LEDs per light. 40 LEDs just get you a line of light, they are too close to eachother. Try 12 or 20 tops. Oh, moisture. All those holes had to had wires running from them correct? you had to drill a hole somewhere near the back to get said wires to a power source i.e. the running light wire, which you could have also gotten a better LED bulb for. Nevertheless every hole you make has to be waterproof or you will get moisture build up inside your light. More research, less execution. You did not achieve the Audi look, that was your goal right?
Prone, I wired these all directly behind the plastic and spliced into the city light wire as it entered the headlight housing... thus, no increased concern with moisture issues. I checked out Mouser and it sounds like you need a pretty extensive background in electrical engineering in order to adjust discharge capacities for use in a 12V setting. Clearly outside my realm. I'm looking for something pre-wired for 12V. As for the number of lights... I knew that was a bad situation going into it, but I was pretty limited for LED options as you've likely found. As for the Audi look.. all things considering I haven't seen anyone get closer other than CinCity.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:38 AM
FliPPER_Z

Originally Posted by 3FIDDYZED
FYI, AJ Panchal's original designs show the Zed with LED strip sidelights, LED sidemarkers and LED's in the door handles where the 3 square dots are for illumination when you open the car.... The only reason these wernt on the original car was down to production costs...
Hey,just noticed your from london... I just came back from london few weeks ago, i was hoping to see a Z but no luck!
Old 04-27-2009, 11:40 AM
FliPPER_Z

Prone, I wired these all directly behind the plastic and spliced into the city light wire as it entered the headlight housing... thus, no increased concern with moisture issues. I checked out Mouser and it sounds like you need a pretty extensive background in electrical engineering in order to adjust discharge capacities for use in a 12V setting. Clearly outside my realm. I'm looking for something pre-wired for 12V. As for the number of lights... I knew that was a bad situation going into it, but I was pretty limited for LED options as you've likely found. As for the Audi look.. all things considering I haven't seen anyone get closer other than CinCity.
matthew... what kind of driver are you using? PWM? what brand of LEDs?
Old 04-27-2009, 11:45 AM
cheneymatthews

Originally Posted by Volk350
there are plenty of DIY on here and people that have done this with the proper leds that look just like the audi ones...
um... really? where?!
Old 04-27-2009, 11:49 AM
cheneymatthews

Originally Posted by samr350z
matthew... what kind of driver are you using? PWM? what brand of LEDs?
12V DC READ 5mm Super Flux 25Kmcd White LED 120° from TopBright in China.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:06 PM
JEKL

"According to the Oxford English Dictionary, Irregardless was first acknowledged in 1912 by the Wentworth American Dialect Dictionary as originating from western Indiana. Barely a decade later, the usage dispute over irregardless was such that, in 1923, Literary Digest published an article titled "Is There Such a Word as Irregardless in the English Language?"[2]"

"Aint" no big deal is it Jekl? I think anyone driving a homoerotic, old-school, blue Jaguar would think twice about taking stabs at anyone's intelligence. I'd love to know what your occupation is, I'm sure it will define the eccentricities of your extensive vocabulary and heightened intellect. "Fcktard", clever.. I like it, you must have creatively come up with that on your own.
Wow, you can cut and paste! Well I admit that I was wrong and thank you for setting me straight. I didn't realize that the Literary Digest published an article in 1923 asking if irregardless was infact a word or not.

I don't fight on the internet so I am done but let's tally up the conversation. Me - Owns a Jaguar as a daily driver, have a 350Z as a weekend toy and have a pet peev with people that use double negatives. You - Don't like people correcting your speech, have sh!tty workmanship, get your vagina hurt when not one person likes your work, deflect attention from yourself by attacking others and like to brag about the job you might have one day.

You know what, I'm ok being me!
Old 04-27-2009, 02:19 PM
3FIDDYZED

Originally Posted by samr350z
Hey,just noticed your from london... I just came back from london few weeks ago, i was hoping to see a Z but no luck!
Not many of us about in the City, 30 at the most!! Infact not many of us around in the UK!
Old 04-27-2009, 02:21 PM
3FIDDYZED

Good job on the Wikipedia genius.
Who was this one aimed at?!?!
Old 04-27-2009, 02:34 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Night pics. Without turning on xenon beams.
Its kind of creepy like the Close Encounters movie.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:48 PM
FliPPER_Z

12V DC READ 5mm Super Flux 25Kmcd White LED 120° from TopBright in China.
...that explains why they burn out.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:48 PM
HawaiianBBQ

I agree... It's your ride bro... do what you like! Can't please everyone!!! If it got you laid because some hot chick thought your LED's were cool,,, then 98% of the yahoos on this site would be grabbin double sided tape, stapping those bad boys on and calling it JDM... (Just Do Me) lights....

Quick Reply: Audi style LED strips