Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front embelem debadged.. BUT an ISSUE.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 09:38 PM
NY350zG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front embelem debadged.. BUT an ISSUE.

Well today I got my car back from the body shop. I had to re spray my bumper because of someone scrapping the side of it while I was in a resturant eating..I never found out who it was so I pretty much was screwed.

It took my body shop 2 times to get the PPW to an acceptable color close enough to look like stock. So I decided while I was respraying the bumper to debadge the front emblem and fill it it. Today when I picked it up i didn't notice untill I got home that I can still see the outline of where the Nissan embelem was when it was in the sunlight.

Its very faint and can only tell when Im looking at the front bumper at an angle but i am very **** about my car and I can tell.. and I HATE seeining it everytime I look for it. I dont know why it did that. The only conclusion I have come to is that the body shop did not use enough Filler to completley get rid of the indentation.

Anyone experience the same problem or have any suggestions or solutions on how I should go about fixing/dealing with the situation.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:11 PM
johzp

This has happened to me and a couple others.Using body filler is your first problem, it isnt flexible like your bumper so this is what happens....sorry it seems like you're going to have to repaint and fill it with something else.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Gibbs
Know it all

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The body shop either A: Didn't fill it properly. or B: They didn't use a filler that is designed to flex with you plastic bumper. If I were you I would take it back to them ASAP. If they have a lifetime warranty on their repairs which most bigger shops do, tell them that the filler on the front bumper has shrunk, and needs to be addressed.

Last edited by Gibbs; 06-20-2009 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-20-2009, 04:39 AM
davidmcc

Unfortunately the body shop you took it to isn't as meticulous about their work as you need them to be. It sounds like they just didn't shape the area as well as they should have when they filled it. Honestly, it is difficult to get something like that to were it's flawless, but it's not impossible.

...and you should find out if they did use regular body filler because if so it needs to be redone anyway.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:46 AM
NY350zG

Thanks guys.. Im just pissed off because they finnaly got the whites REALLY close and im pretty sure hes going to give me a hard time about it..

What kind of filler are they supposed to use to fill that spot?
Old 06-20-2009, 07:36 AM
davidmcc

I'm sure there are probably a few specialized products out there that will work and if you have a local body shop supply store it would probably be wise to ask them.

I'm not sure exactly what the correct products for the job are but I am absolutely certain that it wouldn't be conventional body fillers.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:50 AM
ParanoidAndroid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the OEM plastic bumpers they are suppose to use a plastic repair system type of filler that will fill and also flex.

They can get away with using regular metal glaze and bondo but they had better put some adhesion promoter down before applying the glaze, then a flex agent in the bondo/primer. most shops are too lazy to do that so they just use bondo right away. problem with that is when you hit the bumper against something the bondo will more than likely pop off.

The outline you see, is it the perfect circle that used to be there before the emblem was removed or is it a big area around the indention?

If you see the actual outline of indented hamburger they did not do enough filling. take it back and have them redo it.

If you see a circle around the indention, say like 1" to 4" away from the hamburger indention then it was because they did not sand the surrounding areas of the paint before they primered and then did not feather edge the primer properly before they painted.

either way take it back lol.

Last edited by ParanoidAndroid; 06-20-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:21 PM
EricChan
Banned for NON PAYMENT

Iv'e had problems when I did this myself as well... heres the thing... the area where the emblem is, is way too deep. You will eventually see a faint outline if not done properly. I know when we shave our V2 bumpers we lay down fiberglass because if we use filler the quality sucks!!! The bumper will eventually over time show the emblem area.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:19 PM
WXSigns
Vendor - Former Vendor

Did you choose this shop based on price or based on quality. I recently had the bumper repainted and the color match was perfect on PPW. I made sure I chose a shop that did custom paint colors on a regular basis. Plus, they do high end cars as 70% of their business.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:30 PM
NY350zG

Originally Posted by WXSigns
Did you choose this shop based on price or based on quality. I recently had the bumper repainted and the color match was perfect on PPW. I made sure I chose a shop that did custom paint colors on a regular basis. Plus, they do high end cars as 70% of their business.
I Choose this shop because they were good family friends and the price was right..

I really hate to bring it back and have him redo it becasue I already made him paint the bumper twice till I was satisfied. I might just deal with it for the time being untill Im done modding and then bring it to a TOP END shop to have them redo the bumper. Bodyworks a *****.