Sponsored by:

Underbody Diffuser

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 07:38 PM
always_wright
Addicted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Underbody Diffuser

Well, long story short... My Dad is a hot-headed idiot that hates foreign made cars, "helped" me install my JP Type A front bumper, and tore a few things up.

He decided that the front underbody diffuser (what you remove to change oil, etc) wouldn't reach to be screwed into the new front bumper so he sawed about 3-4 inches off of it and now it obviously does not fit. He went ahead and screwed it back in and of course when I drove faster than 35 miles an hour it started flapping horribly. The wind was going through the gap, etc. I've read on here other people had the same problem, however no one ever reached a solution.

I'm assuming that the OEM diffuser would fit, or they wouldn't have made the front bumper to fit it or whatever. My Dad was just an idiot, so I need to buy a new one. Does anyone know 100% that the OEM will fit the JP Type A front bumper and where I can buy one? I have looked on 350zsource.com and I can't seem to find it.

Any help would be gladly appreciated.

On a side note, here's a quick pic of the new front bumper -- I love it.

Last edited by always_wright; 08-20-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:02 AM
m6@autoinfantry
Banned

Did you tuck it above the front bumper? As in the tray goes above the bumper? Usually you just tuck it up and create new fastening points, or if you wanna get ghetto with it, but I swear it works, Zip Tie it. I would go with the first option though but it takes more time.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:05 AM
*Boose*

Would the ARC aluminum underbody cover it?
Old 08-21-2009, 04:07 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Search for Chebosto's DIY on how he made his own.

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 08-21-2009 at 04:10 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:10 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Bingo..

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...-easy-diy.html

make your own - and shame on you for letting anyone cut your car........

and shame on you for being mad at your dad.........

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 08-21-2009 at 04:11 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:17 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol^
Old 08-21-2009, 05:19 AM
always_wright
Addicted

Thanks for all of the responses.

We did tuck it back in, as in the wheel wells now sit inside the front bumper, but they are not fastened to the side of the new bumper like they were on the OEM bumper. I don't see this as a problem either, it'll just rattle some, but there doesn't appear to be a spot to drill a new hole or anything, either.

As for tucking the underbody tray in, we could probably could have done that, but he was pissed off and cut it because he thought it was too long. I remember him saying "we'll have to tuck it in", I'm still really not sure at all why the hell he cut it. But who knows? He can sure as hell buy me a new one.

I thought he was going to break my damn front bumper. He's already kicked it (lightly) twice because he was complaining how "flimsy" it is, and he has lowered it onto the jack handle because we put a jack under it that was too tall, and then he proceeded to try to jack it back up with the handle that the front bumper was sitting on top of. [I have no one else to rant to]

He's a smart guy with absolutely no patience.

Anyway, I'll definitely look at the DIY. I need to get a measurement to see how long and wide the underbody tray needs to be and see if a stock one will still work or whether I need to build a new one. Maybe I'll tell him he needs to buy me the ARC one. Haha.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:17 AM
withagee

Originally Posted by always_wright
He's a smart guy with absolutely no patience.
The good thing about that is smart guys who are patience challenged (not unlike myself) are also usually frooky... By that I mean "intensely into the details" and usually won't quit until a project is exactly right (his level of expectation). He probably expected a product that required so much cash to come by would have excellent quality and fitment. Can't blame him.

By your rant, sounds like the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. Patience......... sounds like this project is providing a good opportunity for discovery.

The car looks good. Hope you work it out to your satisfaction and enjoy driving it as much as putting it together exactly the way you want (with a little help from the main man).

Peace.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:02 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by withagee
The good thing about that is smart guys who are patience challenged (not unlike myself) are also usually frooky... By that I mean "intensely into the details" and usually won't quit until a project is exactly right (his level of expectation).

So true...I am same.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i updated my DIY with the measurements ...
Old 08-22-2009, 05:40 AM
always_wright
Addicted

Yes, I am much like him, but I do have a tiny bit more patience, haha.
He is a perfectionist to the T, as am I, and I know that is why he gets so pissed off when things don't go accordingly. But he could spare the headache and screaming rants if he would just use his brain? Oh well, he's 47 and hasn't learned to calm himself down, so it won't happen anytime soon.

But I'm learning not to be like him in that area.

Thanks Chebosto for the update on measurements! I'll see if making one is the better choice.