Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

Should we make Carbon or Fiberglass Doors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009 | 05:42 AM
ChaserAero
Vendor - Former Vendor

Default Should we make Carbon or Fiberglass Doors?

Hey guys! Just wanted to put a feeler out there and see what kind of interest there would be in Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass doors for the Z? Any input is appreciated, I just don't know if there's enough of a demand to offset the cost and time of making a mold.

To offset this and make sure you guys get a great quality product, I think I need to get at least 20 interested people. I know we have a few already interested, but I wanted to reach out to you on the forum and see what your thoughts were.

Normal pricing on this type of product from us is usually around $499 for fiberglass and $999 for carbon fiber, however if we did a group buy, I may be able to get around the $650 mark or so for carbon fiber I would think... just a guess.
Old 08-26-2009 | 08:21 AM
beezee

My question is, would it be the same look as the oem door?. If so then what is the point in replacing my oem door with fiberglass door apart from a minimal weight difference?. I am just curious because if it is something of a shape that would make the car look different from stock, it would not be a bad idea. Now to the carbon fiber. If you paint it, you are back to square-1, again except for the minimal weight difference. And I wonder how many poeple would like the look of a Z with carbonfiber doors. That way you are better off transforming the whole car into carbonfiber.
Old 08-26-2009 | 08:26 AM
ChaserAero
Vendor - Former Vendor

The OEM look would be how it would end up. These are hot items with the RX7, 240sx, and camaro guys... just wanted to post up on here and see what sort of interest, if any, there would be, ya know?
Old 08-26-2009 | 09:05 AM
Done Deal DR

Originally Posted by beezee
My question is, would it be the same look as the oem door?. If so then what is the point in replacing my oem door with fiberglass door apart from a minimal weight difference?. I am just curious because if it is something of a shape that would make the car look different from stock, it would not be a bad idea. Now to the carbon fiber. If you paint it, you are back to square-1, again except for the minimal weight difference. And I wonder how many poeple would like the look of a Z with carbonfiber doors. That way you are better off transforming the whole car into carbonfiber.
It's actually not a "minimal weight difference", carbon or lightweight fiberglass doors are one of the biggest areas for weight loss in a Z, along with a lightweight hatch with Lexan, race seats, and lightweight exhaust and wheels. This has been shown numerous times.

Unfortunately, for the street, I don't deem this as a safe mod without a roll cage with door bars. An average 30-40 MPG wreck in an intersection almost certainly spells death. For a car that is exclusively used at the track, sees barely any street if any, and has a full roll cage, this is a great mod IMO.

Good luck KCG, I'm not sure if you'll have 20 takers on this board, but I may be wrong.
Old 08-26-2009 | 09:22 AM
sfarrah

What are the weight estimates for both materials? I really need to weigh my gutted doors to see if it would be worth the investment. $650 sounds reasonable for a pair of CF doors assuming shipping isn't too outrageous.
Old 08-26-2009 | 11:35 AM
AreYouAMac

Off-topic but...

Can you make WIDER front and rear fenders with the STOCK DESIGN PLEASE!?!?1?!
Old 08-26-2009 | 12:18 PM
oh4TreefiddyZee

I don't know why you woud want to make doors, numerous companies already make them SEIBON, VIS, AIT, etc.

Seems like a waste to me.
Old 08-26-2009 | 12:29 PM
sweets2k

Make a Rear diffuser!!! Please.
Old 08-26-2009 | 06:08 PM
415mm
Professional
Premier Member

personally i don't think doors would be a big seller.
Old 08-26-2009 | 07:04 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by sfarrah
What are the weight estimates for both materials? I really need to weigh my gutted doors to see if it would be worth the investment. $650 sounds reasonable for a pair of CF doors assuming shipping isn't too outrageous.

City Tire Drift Z went from a gutted door to CF AIT doors and saved nearly 50 pounds total..

i bet it would be a substantial weight savings..

$650 sounds like a great price point for pair of doors.

question is: will it be a REAL cf door, or FRP with single CF layer?

will you put honeycomb to prevent the door from bowing in?

Last edited by Chebosto; 08-26-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-26-2009 | 07:16 PM
fart_canon

Originally Posted by Done Deal DR

Unfortunately, for the street, I don't deem this as a safe mod without a roll cage with door bars. An average 30-40 MPG wreck in an intersection almost certainly spells death. For a car that is exclusively used at the track, sees barely any street if any, and has a full roll cage, this is a great mod IMO.
as this fellow member pointed out here, Should you move forward with your product this right here should be one of your biggest letters on your contract. You don't want to be blamed for any deaths.
Old 08-26-2009 | 07:31 PM
S12 driver

Yea, this is definitely a show or track only mod. For street car I wouldn't do it.
Old 08-26-2009 | 11:27 PM
Subdermal

I wouldn't buy them.

Too many safety concerns as stated
Old 08-27-2009 | 05:45 AM
misterniceguy

I'd be in. Especially if they can be shipped to APO. Let me know the details through pm if you are going to make them.
Old 08-27-2009 | 12:01 PM
ChaserAero
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by AreYouAMac
Off-topic but...

Can you make WIDER front and rear fenders with the STOCK DESIGN PLEASE!?!?1?!
I'd like to! I'm working on seeing what I can put together but no progress on this as of yet...

Originally Posted by oh4TreefiddyZee
I don't know why you woud want to make doors, numerous companies already make them SEIBON, VIS, AIT, etc.

Seems like a waste to me.
That's why I ask my friend, just trying to get an overall feel for it...

Originally Posted by sweets2k
Make a Rear diffuser!!! Please.
Have one that can be used with some modification, PM me if you're interested in seeing some pics, etc!

Originally Posted by Chebosto
City Tire Drift Z went from a gutted door to CF AIT doors and saved nearly 50 pounds total..

i bet it would be a substantial weight savings..

$650 sounds like a great price point for pair of doors.

question is: will it be a REAL cf door, or FRP with single CF layer?

will you put honeycomb to prevent the door from bowing in?
These kind of details have yet to be determined... need to see if there's an interest out there first...

Originally Posted by S12 driver
Yea, this is definitely a show or track only mod. For street car I wouldn't do it.
Couldn't agree more!! Would not recommend on a daily driver!!

Originally Posted by misterniceguy
I'd be in. Especially if they can be shipped to APO. Let me know the details through pm if you are going to make them.
Unfortunately can't ship to APO, sorry man!
Old 08-27-2009 | 05:47 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

you built it right, with the correct price point, you'll definitely get business.

your other market contenders are... AIT(B Magic), Seibon, Esprit, Varis, and Amuse.

the later three are probably way out of the price point for the general market. and the quality of the first two, well that's questionable.

as long as you have good QC, have good molds, and its functional, im sure you'll recoop investment costs after 5 or so units.
Old 08-28-2009 | 02:15 AM
misterniceguy

Originally Posted by KeyCompositesGroup

Unfortunately can't ship to APO, sorry man!

If you can ship it to germany without me having to pay a ton of taxes for it, then I would still be in.
Old 09-04-2009 | 10:34 AM
joeysr20det

I would definitely consider them, I'm getting ready to put a cage in mine. I'll be in the market for some in a month or two. Solid carbon fiber would be awesome to, or at least as an option.