Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finished my Z for this season, what u guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikie13
Seriously, I think the car looks great. I've never been a fan of the Roadsters because I think the *** end just looks too huge, but I do think with the top down, they look great.

Orange is my favorite color, and adding the CF accents and black theme is exactly what I would do because I love the combo.

Its tastefully done, not overdone, and it is what the OP wants and likes, otherwise he wouldn't have done it.

Constructive criticism is one thing, but bashing back and forth is just pointless on an internet forum. You can't even convey real emotions and the lack of thick skin by many a person just asks for threads like this.

OP, keep going with your theme. You're right, many more people do like it, and even some who disliked something about it, respected it for what it was and how clean and well done it is.
I agree with your post but to once again clear this up, I did not bash his car originally.

I will repost my words again to keep this revision of history from taking root:
Originally Posted by motormouth
I don't like the orange/black two tone look. two tone is a terrible look for a lot of colors. the interior isn't helping either.

also you need some light spacers to get the proper stance.
what is so ****ing offensive about this? jesus christ.

not everyone has to like your car.

And the later flame fest had 0 to do with his car to be honest, I even softened my original statement to diffuse the boiling controversy, but he walked right by it and continued until he got personal and that is what happens. it was based on pictures of clown cars and him calling me a red neck or something for christsake. I live in the northeast and in a major urban city, lol. It was stupid. though he - I assume - was taking it seriously, I was only having a bit of fun with him while I was writing a paper.

Last edited by Motormouth; 09-22-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:25 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by cginc
No offense taken, I dont work on Z's as a profession. And most of the parts you order are probably from an online source so it's extremely hard to pcs together the end result of the car's appearance. Its some what of a gamble, even though I think my car turned out great (in my opinion).

But there is a big difference between how Allen331 "voiced" his opinion on how the car "may" look better, then MotorMouth simply just stating "your car is terrible" and I should look at well executed Z's like "Chebosto" who owns a performance shops and probably spent well over $50K+ into his Z.

If i would allocate that much funds into a car upgrade, I would most defiantly not put it into a Z. It would more likely put a down payment on a exotic or at least a 911 porsche.
I really don't care at this point, but seriously, it's the internet and written text. we all come from different environments and cultures. In the northeast we are loud and brash. we don't mince words. I feel no compunction to soften my words to make sure I don't hurt an overly sensitive person's feelings when talking about an inanimate object's aesthetic appeal.

once again, and I am clarifiying this because you continually show you have basically 0 reading comprehension: I did not call YOUR car terrible.

I said, to quote:
I don't like the orange/black two tone look. two tone is a terrible look for a lot of colors.
did I call your car terrible? no. you then said your car wasn't terrible (because you misread my post) and so I responded:
if you think terrible should only be used for ricers, than no, your car is not terrible.

could it better? yes, and that is all I was getting at.
and then in regards to the color difference between the Z and GTR:
we are talking about pictures here so I could be wrong, but I've seen and driven the Z in your specific color and am saying I do not see the similarity.
is this getting through that thick ****ing skull of yours yet? you overreacted.

And Chebosto does not own a performance shop either the last time I checked, and paid for the mods himself but nice try. I never said you need his turbo kit, or his specific body kit or his volk rims. But truth be told, when he first started and he only had a couple parts, it was still better done than yours at the same stage. Finalforce only has a hood, suspension and some rims (now a lip spolier). the money you put into it doesn't matter.

I gave you my opinion which you didn't like (boo hoo) and told you how I thought you could improve the car (add spacers) easily. that you are offended is no less than hilarious to me.

Last edited by Motormouth; 09-22-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:28 AM
cginc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stinky350z
i think it looks sick , what sides r those , veilside or chargespeed?> thanks
sides and rear are chargespeed, front is mines. i didnt want full length sides so i went more for a "dress up" theme.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:30 AM
ChanceWarren

I'm not upset. The ultimate outcome of this thread doesn't affect me one way or another (see my responses to similar posts in other threads re: Riceroni for instance). My apparent focus on your comments about the car's stance were used mostly as an example--those were they with which I found I disagreed with you most. You seem to have gone to quite some length to show that I am "uninformed and wrong," entirely overly defensive without really addressing the root of my argument so I can see you're not that interested in what the others in this thread actually have to say. Continuing this discussion will only be a lesson in futility.

This comment was made as an end to the debate; I really think the OP would probably like his thread back. If you feel the need to carry on, feel free to PM me.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:35 AM
cginc

Oh i dont mind at all, its a community thread discuss all you want.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:41 AM
ChanceWarren

No no... I'm seriously done. I mean, I could keep going, but I don't wanna give this guy a stroke or something... Best to just let it go.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:41 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by ChanceWarren
I'm not upset. The ultimate outcome of this thread doesn't affect me one way or another (see my responses to similar posts in other threads re: Riceroni for instance). My apparent focus on your comments about the car's stance were used mostly as an example--those were they with which I found I disagreed with you most. You seem to have gone to quite some length to show that I am "uninformed and wrong," entirely overly defensive without really addressing the root of my argument so I can see you're not that interested in what the others in this thread actually have to say. Continuing this discussion will only be a lesson in futility.

This comment was made as an end to the debate; I really think the OP would probably like his thread back. If you feel the need to carry on, feel free to PM me.
the only thing you said I remotely even care about is that you think you know something about rim fitment. I said you didn't and you haven't defended yourself yet. If you are accepting that you were wrong, this is over. But you repeated yourself twice and then acted as if you were correct. you had no argument I know of besides incorrectly asserting to know that he is maxed out.

So explain to me how 8.5/9.5 - regardless of offset is the 'maximum width' he can go without modifying his fenders.

and which fenders need to be modified? the fronts, rears? and modified how? cut, rolled, pulled?

what about tire size?

what about his ride height?

do you know all of this info?

Originally Posted by crashwarren
No no... I'm seriously done. I mean, I could keep going, but I don't wanna give this guy a stroke or something... Best to just let it go.
keep going? I wasn't even talking to you originally, the only thing I cared that you said was about his rim fitment. which was 100% wrong. I don't like when people make things up and mislead people.

I might not like cginc's car that much, but I do care that he might possibly take your advice.

Last edited by Motormouth; 09-22-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:43 AM
ChanceWarren

*sigh*

What we don't want is rubber rubbing the inside, or god forbid, the under edge of the fender. When driving at speed over roads prone to potholes and/or dips and bumps, it's easy to have two to three inches of suspension movement in one go. Not that that would even be desirable since with 20" rims you're in danger of damaging the rims under such conditions. You also have to think about body roll in the turns.

IN THE REAR. It's okay to push the outermost edge of the wheel to within a millimeter or two of the inside surface of the fender without fear of hot rubber on fender action.

IN THE FRONT. It gets a bit more complex due to the change in suspension geometry when you turn the wheels one way or another.

To answer your questions, under the circumstances, if he were to get much wider in the rear, I'd suggest rolling. Rolling, however is an ugly solution in my opinion and I would therefore again advise against it. For one, if you do it wrong, you'd have to replace your quarter panel and that's not a cheep prospect. For another, I think it looks ghetto even done properly. Best bet? Don't push your luck and leave it how it is.

I have to assume he left his tire size the same since changing tire sizes (DIAMETRICALLY, for the mentally impaired) would affect your speedometer and odometer's accuracy. Again, I'd strongly advise against changing that. I also think it would be incredibly ill-advised to install tires that were dramatically different in width from the wheels themselves. It can be done, but it's detriments outweigh it's benefits in my opinion.

Changing the ride height too much (which I don't think he has- just enough in fact) does also impact the efficacy of a wider stance as well as camber but those two factors and their relationship seem to be addressed from what I can tell of the photos.

Inevitably, if he took my advice he wouldn't be in any danger of experiencing problems on the street. And lets not talk about the unsprung weight added by wheel spacers (and probably longer studs). I'm talking functionality and you seem to want him to widen his stance based on an aesthetic value that I can't find any reason for. Hey, if you like your car that way, great! But I have 8.5/9.5 staggers and to me they're as close to the fenders as they need to be. It appears to be similar in spacing to what I see of the OPs car, but truthfully, I didn't know what his offset was, so I threw out the numbers brought to my mind. Note that I did say "looks like," and not "is/are." I'm well aware that other things factor into the fender rub equation, but those factors are, for the moment, irrelevant, out weighed by the fact that a wider stance could cause problems down the line.

Again, my use of your comments about stance were only as examples to the aggressiveness of your postings as I've read them in this thread. I had no intention of getting into a debate as to the validity or extent of your knowledge (or mine for that matter) in the area of stance widths and suspension geometry in regards to form and function. My aim was neither to upset you in any way. And your emotions are conveyed through your numerous responses whether you see it or not. In truth, I think I agree with most of the other things you said, although I wouldn't have put it in such words...

This post has gone on far longer that I had originally intended but I allowed it to simply for the sake of posterity. I'm not the type to intentionally appear misleading and I apologize if my original comments were not robust enough. I hope this satisfies you.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:05 AM
cginc

My finger barely fits in as is, and that "metal edging" inside the rear fender is already very very close to my tires. Im pretty sure i would need to roll my rear fenders IF spacers were added.

To me the risk is greater then the reward, in my opinion its not worth it (cost and risk wise) to gain a few millimeters of stance that is probably not noticeable.
Attached Thumbnails Finished my Z for this season, what u guys think?-000_0065.jpg  

Last edited by cginc; 09-22-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:09 AM
cginc

Im running 9.0/10.5 staggered 20" on 245/285 tires, and it is very very close to the inside fender edging.

To Z owners who own the Axis matrix wheels, get them power coatd black in my opinion they look much better...see images.
Attached Thumbnails Finished my Z for this season, what u guys think?-rims2.jpg   Finished my Z for this season, what u guys think?-rim1.jpg  

Last edited by cginc; 09-22-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:36 AM
ChanceWarren

I covet your Nitto tires. Preeeetty sure I'm gonna go with those next time around.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Motormouth
Banned

What we don't want is rubber rubbing the inside, or god forbid, the under edge of the fender. When driving at speed over roads prone to potholes and/or dips and bumps, it's easy to have two to three inches of suspension movement in one go. Not that that would even be desirable since with 20" rims you're in danger of damaging the rims under such conditions. You also have to think about body roll in the turns.
words
IN THE REAR. It's okay to push the outermost edge of the wheel to within a millimeter or two of the inside surface of the fender without fear of hot rubber on fender action.
true. suspension movement in the rear increases camber thus creating more space on the outside edge. ...I don't see how that matches with what you said originally however....
IN THE FRONT. It gets a bit more complex due to the change in suspension geometry when you turn the wheels one way or another.
not really. it's still width/diameter/offset/backspacing. that's it. There are thousands of cars on this forum, and thousands of rim fitments. we know what works in regards to front fitment, so it's not complex; there is data to use.
To answer your questions, under the circumstances, if he were to get much wider in the rear, I'd suggest rolling. Rolling, however is an ugly solution in my opinion and I would therefore again advise against it. For one, if you do it wrong, you'd have to replace your quarter panel and that's not a cheep prospect. For another, I think it looks ghetto even done properly. Best bet? Don't push your luck and leave it how it is.
I would estimate that 75% of the cars with rims on this forum have rolled rear fenders. The new 370z actually has rolled fenders from the factory IIRC, and the 350z has the fronts rolled. Rolling does not destroy the fender. Though you can alter the shape if you do it wrong, or crack the paint. Neither of which requires you to replace the fender. some people do it just as a precaution.

Personally, I ran a 19x10.5 +20 setup in the rear with a 275/35 tire with my rears unrolled and never once rubbed. I then went to a 18x10 +18 setup with a 275/40 and did not rub. when I slapped a 285/40 on there, it did rub while my car was lowered about 2 1/2 - 3 inches so we raised it and the rubbing went away.
I have to assume he left his tire size the same since changing tire sizes (DIAMETRICALLY, for the mentally impaired) would affect your speedometer and odometer's accuracy.
wrong word usage. the word you were looking for - for the mentally impaired of course - was DIAMETRAL. but yeah, otherwise you are correct, although it is not an important problem until you start drastically changing tire profiles and diameters because to be honest, tire wear, manufacturer's sizing differences and air pressure all affect it anyway, so it's never 100% accurate in the first place. a 1-2% difference never killed anyone.
Again, I'd strongly advise against changing that. I also think it would be incredibly ill-advised to install tires that were dramatically different in width from the wheels themselves. It can be done, but it's detriments outweigh it's benefits in my opinion.
I assume you are talking about stretching or bulging your tires. Again, not important until you get really crazy. The OP's tires are already more stretched than I would go, but it's normal. rim widths have a tire size RANGE for a reason. and it is usually +/- 20mm. Another point that no one ever raised in this thread so I don't understand what it has to do with this specific thread.
Changing the ride height too much (which I don't think he has- just enough in fact) does also impact the efficacy of a wider stance as well as camber but those two factors and their relationship seem to be addressed from what I can tell of the photos.
I am not really sure in what context you used the word 'efficacy' to be honest. if you meant in regards to the 'stance' then of course, ride height is the second most important criteria to stance.
Inevitably, if he took my advice he wouldn't be in any danger of experiencing problems on the street.
sure, and if he never drove his car he could never get in a car accident.

And you are now implying that if he took my advice he would experience problems... do you think I was trying to destroy his car?
And lets not talk about the unsprung weight added by wheel spacers (and probably longer studs).
he is rocking 20 inch diameter knockoff rims, I doubt his first concern is unsprung weight. as well, not to really get into it, but 1- spacers have far less of an impact than poorly designed rims as they are not rotational mass and 2 - I assume you've never held a spacer in your hand but they are aluminum and weigh next to nothing.
I'm talking functionality and you seem to want him to widen his stance based on an aesthetic value that I can't find any reason for.
I consider both. he asked how his car looks though, not how he can improve performance. I don't know what suspension he has, what tires he has or any other number of criteria so my opinion on his car's performance is moot. as is yours. I never told him to do anything that would negatively affect the handling of his car, I never told him anything to be honest other than his rims could be farther out, no specifics.
Hey, if you like your car that way, great! But I have 8.5/9.5 staggers and to me they're as close to the fenders as they need to be.
congrats? we aren't talking about you here. we were critiquing the OP's car at his request.
It appears to be similar in spacing to what I see of the OPs car, but truthfully, I didn't know what his offset was, so I threw out the numbers brought to my mind. Note that I did say "looks like," and not "is/are." I'm well aware that other things factor into the fender rub equation, but those factors are, for the moment, irrelevant, out weighed by the fact that a wider stance could cause problems down the line.
yes, problems like better handling and more compliments on your car. those are problems no one ever wants.
Again, my use of your comments about stance were only as examples to the aggressiveness of your postings as I've read them in this thread. I had no intention of getting into a debate as to the validity or extent of your knowledge (or mine for that matter) in the area of stance widths and suspension geometry in regards to form and function. My aim was neither to upset you in any way. And your emotions are conveyed through your numerous responses whether you see it or not. In truth, I think I agree with most of the other things you said, although I wouldn't have put it in such words...
and that is fine. I did not engage you at all except to point out you were incorrect in your comments about wheel basics 101. which you still have not supported, even with this very long post.

I on the other hand CAN support any recommendation I might make, and have many technical posts on this forum that give detailed information for people on L.S.D function, tire fitment, wheels and many other things, so even though I might not have spent the time to really drill into it here, I have in the past and still retain the knowledge.

After this posts I still think you lack a good understanding of suspension and wheel/tire set up, but thanks for elaborating.

Last edited by Motormouth; 09-23-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:31 PM
cginc

I covet your Nitto tires. Preeeetty sure I'm gonna go with those next time around.
I had falken's before, and those sucked. Nitto grip so much nicer!
Old 09-22-2009, 08:12 PM
Mikie13

Originally Posted by Motormouth
I agree with your post but to once again clear this up, I did not bash his car originally.
I understand that...sorry if I implied I was calling you out for that...I was just got lost in a whole lot of banter and a lot of stuff I didn't really care to read after I had already started reading. I understand opinion was asked for, and an opinion was given. Pretty bluntly, albeit if you don't have thick skin and don't know how to handle criticism over a forum...Sorry if I jumped in the middle, not trying to make any enemies on this forum from anyone in this thread...

I just wanted to be:

Old 09-23-2009, 06:59 AM
Motormouth
Banned

oh and you live in my city too. better watch your back! lolol

stay out of my hood *****.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:46 AM
Mikie13

oh and you live in my city too. better watch your back! lolol

stay out of my hood *****.
Fellow Philly guy?
Old 09-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Motormouth
Banned

yeah, I live in center city.

also, updated my post.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Mikie13

yeah, I live in center city.

also, updated my post.
Nice I work in CC and live in Roxborough
Old 09-23-2009, 07:13 PM
black06z

Pretty nice dude. I like the black wheels.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by Mikie13
Nice I work in CC and live in Roxborough
I hope you don't work on 20/market. lol.

I have family in roxborough, grew up in the northeast and spent my summers in fox chase/roxborough, right across from the graveyard. know the area?