Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tinting head lights,tail lights, and turn signals....

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 08:36 AM
nofearsuzki199

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question tinting head lights,tail lights, and turn signals....

If i was to get my head and tail lights and my turn signals tinted what % tint should it be?
Old 10-05-2009, 09:05 AM
Guilty1s

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nofearsuzki199
If i was to get my head and tail lights and my turn signals tinted what % tint should it be?
Use spray tint.... you can eyeball it as you put it on....
Old 10-05-2009, 09:14 AM
cwv_558

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...tint-laws.html

There is the sticky that was in the same forum you posted this in.

EDIT:
NVM. That thread doesn't have percentage for head and tail lights. You'll have to look at the laws in your state. It's different everywhere.
Like in Ga headlights can't have any type of film over it, and the tail lights must be visible from some certain distance (I think it's 500ft).

Last edited by cwv_558; 10-05-2009 at 09:21 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot
Old 10-05-2009, 09:24 AM
ChanceWarren

Originally Posted by Guilty1s
Use spray tint.... you can eyeball it as you put it on....
Like -this- for instance. VERY dangerous. Not only could you hurt yourself, you could hurt MANY OTHERS in the process. I'd like to see if the mods publicly call him an idiot! (ref: This thread)

Don't tint your headlights. Tinting will compromise the visibility your beams provide at night. Get the insides painted black (or whatever color you like) instead. There are many threads on this forum which address how to perform this mod yourself.

PS - DaveZ#3 It didn't take long for me to find another dangerous post like this. However, I'm done making my point- I got your message the first time in PM. I could have kept the whole discussion in PM but you made it public.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Guilty1s

Originally Posted by ChanceWarren

Don't tint your headlights. Tinting will compromise the visibility your beams provide at night. Get the insides painted black (or whatever color you like) instead. There are many threads on this forum which address how to perform this mod yourself.

+1 ... should have mentioned that before.... seriously... dont. And dont overkill your tails.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:32 AM
nofearsuzki199

alright so headlights painted and tail lights tinted? i live in al and in that tint law website it says nothing about tinting your yail lights
Old 10-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Guilty1s

alright so headlights painted and tail lights tinted? i live in al and in that tint law website it says nothing about tinting your yail lights
Your just really not supposed to tint your tail lights... The guidelines is more less visability and fuctional relectors.... which a decently light/medium spray tint in my opinion is satisfactory. And painted headlight is a must on certain color cars! improves look 10 fold... IMO
Old 10-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Elan

I sprayed mine...took hours to do cause of the buffing and polishing I had to do. Over all I was pretty happy with the job...however next time I am getting it professionally done. It wasn't worth the risk. Looks great though!
Old 10-05-2009, 07:05 PM
cwv_558

I know, I thought I remembered it having head/tail lights also. That's why I edited my post.

I don't know about using a film tint, but I know if you use something like VHT Nightshade, which is a spray on tint, it really doesn't lower the visibility of the lights unless you put A LOT on there. To use this you would basically spray a little bit on at a time until you get the darkness you want. It also won't create stress cracks that you get from the tint film when the light gets hot.

This video shows how it goes from being almost totally black, to looking like nothing is there. (I wouldn't make it as dark as the guy in the video if I were you)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vngqQlmtkSM

As for headlight tint being unsafe, yeah it is. Black tint will lower light output and visibility considerably.
And if you're thinking about color tint, they will still lower light output slightly, but any color other than yellow will cause a decrease in visibility. That's because there are much more red and green cone cells in the human eye, than blue cone cells. So,the best choice in color for your headlights after white (red + green + blue), is yellow (red + green). Blue tint will put you at a major disadvantage.
(BTW, blue and yellow tint looks horrible. Sometimes yellow can look good on a nice black car, but not usually. Also ricey...)

Also, let's say you tint you headlights and it's illegal in your state, and you hit a deer at night because you couldn't see it, when you try to get your insurance to cover it, they will most likely deny your claim since you would be the cause of your own poor visibility. Same goes for tail lights if it's illegal and someone rear-ends you.

I use google to look up Georgia State Code, I'm sure you can find it for Alabama. If not, here: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Alabama+State+Code&l=1
I think 32-5-252 is the section that regards to lights.

There might be a federal DOT regulation against tinting, so you'll have to read this to find it. It's also from 1999, so the laws could be much different now. I don't feel like looking for a newer one.
http://fmvss108.tripod.com/fmvss108text.htm

I've pretty much covered everything, so if that doesn't help, you're screwed.