Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Problems (ice related)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 10:45 AM
LuciaPwNs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Problems (ice related)

I noticed yesterday (the first snow of the season and my first winter with the Z) that there was some design flaws imo. The feature that has the window drop a few cm after opening the door does not work at all when its frozen.

When you try to close the door the top window corner hits the body. Is there any technique to getting in and out of the car when you have this problem and any ideas how to fix it?

I dont like letting my car warm up in the winter cause i was always told the most wear on the engine happens at start up and the faster it warms up the faster it gets outta that period of wearing. But that wouldnt really solve the window problem anyway...
Old 12-06-2009, 12:39 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is another thing to look for that will cause the window to not drop. There is a little rubber boot in the door frame (right side of door frame when you're looking at the driver-side). This is the switch that allows the window to drop. Mine would get stuck constantly, which held the button in, which meant the window wouldn't drop.

That may not be your problem at all, but if it is, it's an easy fix. Just pull on the boot so that the button comes out, then the window will drop.

Also, what you said about the engine wear is not true at all. Especially when it's cold. It is best to let the engine warm up when it's cold. There is more stress put on cold engine components than warm. There may be more wear AT the moment of startup, but not once the oil is flowing through the engine.

Last edited by TreeFiddyZee; 12-06-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:47 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Spray the window with de-ice.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:07 PM
LuciaPwNs

I will try the button thing but im pretty sure its just the ice causing it. i guess i could spray it down with antifreeze...hmm i never thought of just keeping a little bottle in the car.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:10 PM
LuciaPwNs

how would that react to the rubber, plastic, and clear coat though?
Old 12-06-2009, 02:31 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LuciaPwNs
I will try the button thing but im pretty sure its just the ice causing it. i guess i could spray it down with antifreeze...hmm i never thought of just keeping a little bottle in the car.
You can find de-ice in a pocket size. That way you do not have to retrieve it from inside the car. Sometimes I will smack the window with my hand to break the frozen seal.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:03 PM
hagar2sail

When I lived where I didn't have a garage and drove the Z year round, I used to bring out a glass of luke-warm water with me and just run it down the drivers side glass and take off that "bead" of ice that always builds there, that's what would allow my window to drop and get the car started, then scrape the rest off and bobs your uncle. Don't use hot or boiling hot water though as you don't want to thermally shock the window. At least with my Z I could if I had to open the door without the glass dropping, like if I had it in a parking lot where I couldn't bring out a glass of water.

I have noticed at some VW's like the new passat coupe it requires the glass to drop at least 1/2 an inch before you can open the door, this seems like a design flaw for people like us in the north.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:10 PM
RMichael

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv

Spray the window with de-ice.
No. the window doesn't go up that fraction sometimes or down that fraction sometimes and it is related to the window motor TSB. Sometimes when it is down the hair and you try to click it up it will go down halfway. To close it you'll have to open the door and pull it back up and then either clean the motor or install the motor available at Kragen! (jk)

You can clean it but it requires work
Old 12-21-2009, 02:58 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by LuciaPwNs
I wouldn't reccomend putting antifreeze anywhere you don't want paint or finish damage!!
Old 12-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Z4ToddB

I've had the same problem too. The easiest way I have found is to open the door and with it still open, push down slightly on the top of the window while hitting the window switch to lower the window a bit. That will unstick it and then get in the car and just close the window once you're in. After almost breaking my window one morning having it hit the frame, I do that everytime now when I know it's been freezing out. Hope that helps-
Regards,
Todd