Sponsored by:

Aero Designs seat "BRIDE replica"

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robbinsj
idk sry got mine from JayZ but it is not to bad just give them a call.

They cost about 200+shipping Sir bnag0...... Call but thats what I paid.. , I hooked up robbinsj because he loves Carbon Fiber like I do..
Old 04-14-2010, 02:17 AM
robbinsj

Originally Posted by Jay'Z

They cost about 200+shipping Sir bnag0...... Call but thats what I paid.. , I hooked up robbinsj because he loves Carbon Fiber like I do..
Yea they are not cheap ti get but there high quality and thick as hell.

Thanks again bro
Old 04-14-2010, 08:18 AM
bnag0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just called and asked them and they said it would cost me about $100 plus shipping even after they customize the mount to work with the ares slidders... Not sure why the price is so much less than what you have stated. The other thing i am not sure of is wether or not the 03 seat mounts are the same as the 07... They did not know this either, on their site it just states 03 - _ ill have to do a little research on the mounts but if you guys new then that would also save me some time :P ... Im just glad you went about hooking your seat up its given me the confidence to go through with it once i have the money.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:38 AM
Blck350z

In my '06 z the 03-05 sparco brackets did not work. 3 of the 4 holes lined up and I had to have them cut and welded at a local machine shop....... I'm sure the '06 is the same as the 07-08 Z's..... hope that helps
Old 04-14-2010, 09:35 AM
robbinsj

Originally Posted by Blck350z
In my '06 z the 03-05 sparco brackets did not work. 3 of the 4 holes lined up and I had to have them cut and welded at a local machine shop....... I'm sure the '06 is the same as the 07-08 Z's..... hope that helps
Are you refering to the 4 large mounting holes that go to the frame or the slider?

He is talking about mounting holes to frame as the slider holes are the sizes the custom make it to.

I personally do not think there is a differance and thus it is not listed when buying brackets but idk.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:10 AM
robbinsj

Either way just give them both mounting specs for the frame and sliders and they will make it right.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rxkevin
I personally would not want to put my life on the line with untested replica seats.
i read this entire thread.. the only thing that makes sense was this post.

i dont understand why people would get knock off seats when seats are considered a safety item.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Citrus

Originally Posted by Chebosto

i dont understand why people would get knock off seats when seats are considered a safety item.
I wouldn't bother trying to reason with the OP...

I strongly do not beleave a seat nor seat belt effects safty in any way and all safety is based on luck, timing and angle.
https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...ors-seats.html
Old 04-14-2010, 12:27 PM
robbinsj

I will say the same to you as I say to everyone with your mentality.

Please provide some proof that a replica seat cause unsafe conditions and wtf exactly is the safty function of the seat?
Old 04-14-2010, 12:30 PM
bnag0

What makes a seat safe?

The wedge engineering mounting brackets are very beefy and bolt in exatly where the stock brackets would, with the same hardware.... i don't see a problem there at all.

If you are using the stock belts.... The seat belt clip in is taken off and mounted on the aftermarket seat or mounting bracket with the same hardware i believe, i could see how this could possibly be an issue as far as how sturdy the material is or isnt that the clip in bolts too.

The sliders bolt to the newly drilled out mounting holes in the wedge bracket... how different the slidders on the AD Seats are compared to the stock 350z slidders i don't know which could also be a problem point.

those are the only things i can think of as far as a problem safety wise... But hey im not seat safety expert.... If you can think of something else let me know....

And if you had everything assembled nice and tight with the correct hardware i think you would have to be going pretty damn fast for that material on the seat or slidders to give way. And at those speeds you are prolly gunna get F**KED up any how...

Robbinsj sense you have installed the seat how did you hook up your seat belt clip in? Is the materail sturdy in this location comaperd to stock seat?

Did you use the same hardware from the stock sliders with your AD seat slidders? How is the material strength of the AD slidders vs stock slidders?
Old 04-14-2010, 12:30 PM
robbinsj

Originally Posted by Citrus
I wouldn't bother trying to reason with the OP...

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...ors-seats.html
That was based on a story where a seat belt caused death and the other that was not belted lived via pure luck. I do not care wtf you think Timmy, go back to atking your ear assmonger.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:34 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Sorry OP but those are fugly to me and I agree with Chebosto.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Please provide some proof that a replica seat cause unsafe conditions and wtf exactly is the safty function of the seat?
wow. srsly?

what IS the safety function of a seat you ask. primarily seats need to:

1. support your weight while in an upright position
2. support lateral motion (side to side)
3. maintain its shape during impact
4. provide head support

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9xoauIutCmc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9xoauIutCmc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Recaro/Sparco/Bride/OEM actually do impact tests on seats to make sure the occupant (YOU) will remain inside the seat, and make sure that the forces exerted on the seat do not cause it to fail/bend/crack as your body is subject to severe forces that happen during a crash. hopefully you passed physics class to understand what happens to an object in motion and what it takes to stop it.

now, a REPLICA seat is just that, they take the mold of the seat they they're copying and spit out one that looks just like it.. but they didn't take in effect the manufacturing PROCESS that the original seat manufacturing company went through, I.e. cross hatching the internal structure, honey comb reinforcements, etc. to get FIA certified or whatever safety standard.

sure your replica seat LOOKS like the real thing, but you sure it'll hold up the same? you willing to bet your life on it? sure. be my guest. i'd rather pay a few bucks more and know that the seat i'm sitting in was put to some standard, rather than a crap shoot. if you have that mentality, you might as well get a plastic halloween pumpkin as a helmet, sit on a 5 gallon ice cream bucket, and goto the track, because hey. where's the safety documents saying that isnt' safe?

Last edited by Chebosto; 04-14-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:36 PM
robbinsj

Originally Posted by dikspiel
Sorry OP but those are fugly to me and I agree with Chebosto.
No need to say sorry friend.

To each there own but honestly this is not the seats I want. If I had the extra $$$ I would get the all dry CF ones I saw on here. This was and is for test purposes only as I am not a sheep so I do not take all I hear on this forum as gospel. I can not justify the extra $$ atm so I am trying diff things. Also this is the first time I have ever changed the OEM seats in any of my cars so I have yet to really set myself on the tyle that I will like best. Think I will try diff types and brands before I settle on what is right for me.

This thread was made to help others that might have considered these but where not able to simply test like I am.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Done Deal DR

^^^

Old 04-14-2010, 01:37 PM
bnag0

sure your replica seat LOOKS like the real thing, but you sure it'll hold up the same? you willing to bet your life on it? sure. be my guest. i'd rather pay a few bucks more and know that the seat i'm sitting in was put to some standard, rather than a crap shoot. if you have that mentality, you might as well get a plastic halloween pumpkin as a helmet, sit on a 5 gallon ice cream bucket, and goto the track, because hey. where's the safety documents saying that isnt' safe?
LOL this made me lol at work, I agree with you... I have to say i love the AD Ares seats design and deffinitly their price which is why i have contacted someone there by email requesting a specification sheet on what safety tests they do to insure our safety... because yes a seat is not just looks weight and comfert. I will post a conclusion to my question when i get a response, hoping they do some kind of testing : / And if they are not tested then how would they perform if they were? I would like to know what the "Standard" is for testing seats.

I will do some research on this standard... but if someone has a link i would appriciate it.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by bnag0
which is why i have contacted someone there by email requesting a specification sheet on what safety tests they do to insure our safety... because yes a seat is not just looks weight and comfert. I will post a conclusion to my question when i get a response, hoping they do some kind of testing : / And if they are not tested then how would they perform if they were? I would like to know what the "Standard" is for testing seats.I will do some research on this standard... but if someone has a link i would appriciate it.

there are several different standards that seat manufacturers build to. depending on what they are for. typically race seats are built to and get certified to FIA Homologation. FIA is the international non-profit organization that strives to create safety standards for automobiles. most sactioning racing bodies require the safety equipment used be FIA certified.

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/Pages/HomePage.aspx

there is also TUV
http://www.tuv.com/us/en/index.html

Racing harnesses have SFI, helmets have snell.. there are a bunch of others.

some people then claim: this isn't a race car. it's a street car. well for that matter, i would be even more stringent on safety for a road-going car. race cars have roll cages for further impact resistance. if you have a 'pretty' seat that is blinged out carbon, but a POS structuraly, god help you. Its not your stupidity that will test the seat, it's the guy that doesnt see you at the intersection.

i'll bet you that AD res won't answer you on your inquiry on safety crash tests because crash testing takes $10000s to do, and no way a knock off company is going to goto that trouble in doing so...these seats are made in china, with most likely a spray on FRP matting, and two layers of CF with heavy gel coat over it. oh yea, the side mounting on real race seats are reinforced inside so your side mount brackets will stay in place once they are installed... the KO china pieces? its probably a threaded press in rivet with zero reinforcement. a manufacturing AFTERTHOUGHT.

good luck to you all if you follow this path. the only thing that seat is good for is the Gran Turismo simulator in your living room

Last edited by Chebosto; 04-14-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:58 PM
robbinsj

wow. srsly?

what IS the safety function of a seat you ask. primarily seats need to:

1. support your weight while in an upright position
2. support lateral motion (side to side)
3. maintain its shape during impact
4. provide head support

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9xoauIutCmc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9xoauIutCmc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Recaro/Sparco/Bride/OEM actually do impact tests on seats to make sure the occupant (YOU) will remain inside the seat, and make sure that the forces exerted on the seat do not cause it to fail/bend/crack as your body is subject to severe forces that happen during a crash. hopefully you passed physics class to understand what happens to an object in motion and what it takes to stop it.

now, a REPLICA seat is just that, they take the mold of the seat they they're copying and spit out one that looks just like it.. but they didn't take in effect the manufacturing PROCESS that the original seat manufacturing company went through, I.e. cross hatching the internal structure, honey comb reinforcements, etc. to get FIA certified or whatever safety standard.

All safety functions you have listed are the description of any durable seat and yes I am willing to risk my life to test something myself. No different from any other part on the market, parts can fail and it can cause a crash. Seats on the other hand might fail in a crash, not cause a crash but might fail in a crash. Sorry friend but I risk my life more with a turbo, CF hood and NOS than this seat and I have all three.

The fact is we are all assuming they have not tested anything and assume that there made fragile or are weak. Well friend I am not here to assume, idk if they tested the seat or not, thus is why I am testing it and posting up what I find. Also idk what you mean by "save a few bucks" but the diff in price for the real BRIDE CF and this is about 2,000$. Would have really pissed me off to find out it fits the way it does with the helm guards. This way I am finding out what I like sharing what I find out and don't drop tons of $$$ down the drain cuss I can only test real BRIDE seats.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:59 PM
robbinsj

Originally Posted by Done Deal DR
^^^

lol, we put our kids at more risk than I am in.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:08 PM
robbinsj

there are several different standards that seat manufacturers build to. depending on what they are for. typically race seats are built to and get certified to FIA Homologation. FIA is the international non-profit organization that strives to create safety standards for automobiles. most sactioning racing bodies require the safety equipment used be FIA certified.

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/Pages/HomePage.aspx

there is also TUV
http://www.tuv.com/us/en/index.html

Racing harnesses have SFI, helmets have snell.. there are a bunch of others.

some people then claim: this isn't a race car. it's a street car. well for that matter, i would be even more stringent on safety for a road-going car. race cars have roll cages for further impact resistance. if you have a 'pretty' seat that is blinged out carbon, but a POS structuraly, god help you. Its not your stupidity that will test the seat, it's the guy that doesnt see you at the intersection.

i'll bet you that AD res won't answer you on your inquiry on safety crash tests because crash testing takes $10000s to do, and no way a knock off company is going to goto that trouble in doing so...these seats are made in china, with most likely a spray on FRP matting, and two layers of CF with heavy gel coat over it. oh yea, the side mounting on real race seats are reinforced inside so your side mount brackets will stay in place once they are installed... the KO china pieces? its probably a threaded press in rivet with zero reinforcement. a manufacturing AFTERTHOUGHT.

good luck to you all if you follow this path. the only thing that seat is good for is the Gran Turismo simulator in your living room
You obviously go to the track and FIA standards are for extreme conditions and nothing close to how I drive.

From my understanding they are the same as a BRIDE seat but since they saved huge on not getting 6 yr FIA certs and testing to make an original product, that is why they are cheaper in $$$. et I have searched and only found good things about them so I tried it out.

Quick Reply: Aero Designs seat "BRIDE replica"