Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just noticed these cut lines

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 03:59 PM
acheung456

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just noticed these cut lines

can anyone identify what they go to? right next to the drivers headlight, thanks

Old 07-25-2010, 04:03 PM
gshadyz

I say AC lines
Old 07-25-2010, 04:45 PM
acheung456

that was my guess but I'm not too sure. Ugh, this should be fun to replace
Old 07-25-2010, 04:54 PM
AmnCruzie

Yup, AC lines... I had to relocate those when I did my turbo install, it was a giant PIA... Assuming you have a VQ35DE?...
Old 07-25-2010, 04:55 PM
AmnCruzie

They look to have been cut where they route to the heat exchanger
Old 07-25-2010, 05:21 PM
acheung456

Yep VQ35DE, it's an 03'. Any tips on a fix?
Old 07-25-2010, 05:37 PM
acheung456

Ohhh, it's this:

I have a few questions though: does it look cut past the component (compressor?) with the shaft seal?

and, does the condenser mounts in front of the radiator right?
Old 07-25-2010, 06:53 PM
AmnCruzie

^ let me check my heat exchanger tomorrow to see how the hoses mount to it. It might be as simple as getting a replacement for the damaged section from a junker (shouldn't be more than a few bucks if you go to the right junker) and simpling replacing it. You don't have to worry about draining your A/C system cus trust me, it's drained lol. Worst case scenario, the way that it mounts to the heat exchanger is more complex, or worse still welded on, and you have to replace the entire heat exchanger. I'll try and see if I can post more info tomorrow after I get under my hood and get a better, good look at the parts.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:54 PM
acheung456

Originally Posted by AmnCruzie
^ let me check my heat exchanger tomorrow to see how the hoses mount to it. It might be as simple as getting a replacement for the damaged section from a junker (shouldn't be more than a few bucks if you go to the right junker) and simpling replacing it. You don't have to worry about draining your A/C system cus trust me, it's drained lol. Worst case scenario, the way that it mounts to the heat exchanger is more complex, or worse still welded on, and you have to replace the entire heat exchanger. I'll try and see if I can post more info tomorrow after I get under my hood and get a better, good look at the parts.
Much appreciated I'll stay posted
Old 07-25-2010, 06:58 PM
AmnCruzie

as for the other question about the shaft seal, don't worry about it, it's still considerably far from the compressor, and before it reaches the hoses that lead to the compressor, so your compressor is still good as are your hoses. All you have to do is disconnect the two hoses (connection is highlighted as B12 on that schematic) and take it off. Lemme get on Photoshop and I'll circle where u have to disconnect on that photo for you... but again, as for the heat exchanger, I would have to check tomorrow
Old 07-25-2010, 07:07 PM
can'tZme

ew that will be a fun fix
Old 07-25-2010, 07:10 PM
AmnCruzie

Disconnect here:

It's a royal pain because of the type of conectors used. It is held on by a circular spring, and you need a special tool to disconnect it. If you have it it should be easy, if you don't, you're gonna have to get pretty creative haha
Old 07-25-2010, 07:11 PM
AmnCruzie

Everything from that connection back towards your firewall should still be good, but once you have fixed the lines/heat exchanger, and have your AC system charged, you definitely want to check for leaks and moisture!
Old 07-26-2010, 11:10 AM
acheung456

So this shouldn't be too bad then, I just need to replace everything from the circular springs up, or in other words if I can find a heat exchanger used, have it removed at the circular springs and sent to me right?
Old 07-26-2010, 11:28 AM
AmnCruzie

Well, unfortunately I was right about the worse case scneario. These are welded on to the heat exchanger so you will need to get a new heat exchanger. It should be a rather straight forward swap once you get a new exchanger. I'd say go to a local junker and barter w/ them you might get one for dirt cheap. If you don't mind me asking, how did you discover these were cut? I take it you havent used ur AC in a while? also, you might want to look into HOW they got cut, so that it doesnt happen again after you get ur new setup
Old 07-27-2010, 06:09 AM
acheung456

I think I'll start scouting for a junk yard, and I picked up this Z as a salvage and working to rebuild it. Here's the rebuild thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...posted-on.html

They literally just tore off the entire front and everything on it (including cutting the A/C lines apparently)
Old 07-27-2010, 06:11 AM
acheung456

Just to be clear, the heat exchanger is the piece in the diagram mounted on the front? And the piece with the shaft seal is the compressor?

So I should just be able to pick up a heat exchanger, disconnect it at the compressor and make the swap?

Last edited by acheung456; 07-27-2010 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:29 AM
AmnCruzie

Yeah, the heat exchanger is the radiator looking part in the shematic. The part that says shaft seal is the compressor and that is still good. You just need to disconnect where I circled on the pic and the extra 3-4" of useless cut lines should just fall right off, leaving the way clear for a new(-ish) used heat exchanger from your friendly neighborhood junker. Since there is no front end on the car, it should be relatively simple to put the heat exchanger on. While your at it, when choosing a radiator, regardless of whether you plan on having a stock DD or an all out FI monster, or anything in between, don't buy a stock radiator, take advantage of the opportunity and buy an upgraded performance radiator. I say this because our cars run notoriously hot, and ANYTHING you can do to keep the underhood temps down will be rewarded handsomely in the end. I personally am going to put an oil-cooler, an upgraded front mount intercooler, an upgraded performance radiator and a vented hood on my Z, because I am running a turbo and my underhood temps get so hot, just touching the hood after some spirited driving is enough to turn your hands into bacon lol
Old 07-27-2010, 10:31 AM
AmnCruzie

^ but those are just my $0.02 on the underhood temps, a little bit of friendly advice if you will
Old 07-27-2010, 11:19 AM
acheung456

Any suggestions? I was gonna get a used OEM for sub $100 shipped, but I may just take your advice. i saw the mishi and koyo rad's around, are they more or less a quality standard?

Quick Reply: Just noticed these cut lines