Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Harnesses / Harness Bars

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 08:05 AM
Scabd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Sure, it's "their vehicle" - but people presumably ask questions on these forums because they don't know the answers. Or they want confirmation for what the right answer is. That is where the experience of others can help teach people the right and wrong way to do things. Knowledge and experience benefits everyone. Why do we have to respect, or even ackowledge people making potentially stupid and unsafe decisions about their car? By that same token, we should advocate people running oil lines on top of exhaust and intake manifolds. Afterall, it's their car right?
Nothing wrong with informing someone. It's the people that bash someone for something they ask about or something they want to do.

The clip in system, if actually safe, would be awesome. I just have noticed the best looking and most structurally sound harness bars for the Z that I have seen, seem to replace or modify the upper seat belt area; making it impossible to run factory belts.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:11 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Full racing harnesses feature clip in designs - for example:

Old 07-16-2011, 09:26 AM
C5_vette

If I were you I would not run the harness bar for street use, certain cars have increased roll over protection from the factory, but I do not think the z is one of them.

Certain HPDE events allow the harness/ harness bar set up, but
really a roll bar is the best thing to have if you are planning on tracking the car ever,

as in the event that the car rolls over and you have only a harness you cannot bend your neck/ move at all if the roof collapses and run the risk of snapping your neck.

I also would not run a fixed back seat on the street as they don't break away in a wreck , like oem seats do. But that's just me. Also most guys running a harness use a HANS device, not exactly street friendly.

also a 4 point harness is not safe, and not even accepted at most track events due to the chance of submarining in a wreck, the only exception is the schroth 4 point, but that is for very specific vehicles.

Again if this is a street only vehicle then don't waste your time or money

Last edited by C5_vette; 07-16-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:50 PM
350Zdj

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sorry to butt in guys.

But does anyone have good reviews re: CG lock??
I weight around 125lbs and I fly around my seat during autox and trackdays - thank god for the steering wheels, I have something to grab onto!!. My leather seat isnt helping either. But as u know, it's annoying and i cant really focus 100% on driving.

Budget is nowhere near an authentic bucket seat as i've still got stuff going on for the Z. So Im wondring if the CG lock is really worth it? I mean it only supports the lower torso. How about the upperbody? I find it very hard to beleive it has "70% capability of a full racing harness"??? HOW SO?

plz enlighten!
Old 07-31-2011, 12:00 AM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I personally haven't used it but a lot of local autox guys swear by it.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:45 PM
misterniceguy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out this picture thread. Just PM some of the guys with harness bar setups if you want to ask questions. No point in arguing over pros and cons. The cons will internet forum jump you.

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...ollection.html
Old 08-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Crawling_Drunk

I just used the search function and found this thread... mind if I add my question:

I'm looking to buy racing seats, harness and harness bar (reason, part time drift car). It's my DD but I do take it to drift events and sliding around you get a lot of movement on the stock seats and harness.

However, I don't want to deal w/ the seatbelt light blinking and the car beeping at me forever, any solutions?
Old 08-04-2011, 08:18 PM
misterniceguy

Pull your seat belt behind your seat and buckle up.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:33 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Chebosto
+1 on CG Lock.

using a 4/5 pt harness on the street is not only unsafe but also really really tacky.

My seatbelt doesn't work cuz the rollcage :/
Old 08-05-2011, 11:37 AM
sportbiketed

Originally Posted by Crawling_Drunk
I just used the search function and found this thread... mind if I add my question:

I'm looking to buy racing seats, harness and harness bar (reason, part time drift car). It's my DD but I do take it to drift events and sliding around you get a lot of movement on the stock seats and harness.

However, I don't want to deal w/ the seatbelt light blinking and the car beeping at me forever, any solutions?
I removed my seatbelts and it doesnt beep, You will need to get some resistors if you want to turn off the srs light.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Crawling_Drunk

^^ Is there a DIY or so that can help? I tried using the search engine, but no good...
Old 08-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Johnnyone

Originally Posted by sportbiketed
I removed my seatbelts and it doesnt beep, You will need to get some resistors if you want to turn off the srs light.

i have an aftermarkt steering wheel and removed my seat belts and my lights doesnt beep either. The SRS light does blink however. As for using resistors, did you do this on your car sportbiketed?

I found a few things online about the process of using resistor but my stero guy couldnt get it to work.

Here is the interior of my car that i drift in with a harness bar and harness for reference if anyone needs it.

went with this setup cause i wont be doing any high performance driving on the track or doing tandem runs. Just sliding around a parking lot and drifting in the inside track.

Name:  IMG_5276.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  90.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5281.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  62.5 KB
Old 08-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Crawling_Drunk

Thx for the pics n help. I'm putting my stuff on order...
Old 08-05-2011, 08:55 PM
misterniceguy

Sweet purple harness.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:45 PM
sportbiketed

^^ Is there a DIY or so that can help? I tried using the search engine, but no good...
Just google search "airbag resistor kit".

Originally Posted by Johnnyone
i have an aftermarkt steering wheel and removed my seat belts and my lights doesnt beep either. The SRS light does blink however. As for using resistors, did you do this on your car sportbiketed?

I found a few things online about the process of using resistor but my stero guy couldnt get it to work.

Here is the interior of my car that i drift in with a harness bar and harness for reference if anyone needs it.

went with this setup cause i wont be doing any high performance driving on the track or doing tandem runs. Just sliding around a parking lot and drifting in the inside track.
No I have not done it, the light doesn't bug me.

Here's my set up:
Name:  interior.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  46.9 KB
Old 08-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Johnnyone

^ nice shift ****, was gonna buy something similar but made me one instead.

Name:  IMG_5994.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  102.1 KB

Originally Posted by misterniceguy
Sweet purple harness.
thxs, got a great deal on them so i had to ****** them up.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:50 PM
LB350z07

i guess thats where the girl sits!! hahah