80.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Gauge color

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 01:18 PM
JDMStanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gauge color

I"ll be ordering an oil temp. gauge and maybe water temp gauge soon from Prosport.
If you were to put them in your car, would you choose Blue/White LED gauge for a sick look or go with Amber/white LED gauge to match with stock dash and gauges color?
i'm guessing Blue LED might be too harsh on eyes at night. I love blue...but it won't match with all other stock gauges..

Where would you mount them other than A-pillar? i can't think of any other places to mount them using mount cups (surface has to be flat) without blocking views.

Last edited by JDMStanced; 09-07-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:03 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts

if you jsut want them for looks, save your cash.. i had several and they die in the suns heat.. started freaking out and jumping needels everywhere.

If you have to, buy the amber and white, wire the amber light up.. it looks very nice actually.

Since going FI, i moved up to real gauges... marshal scx gagues in amber/white.. these are real quality items.
prosport is crap to be perfectly honest.
BUUUT, out of the crap gauges, they are the nicest in my experience.

the a pillar doesnt affect yor drivng view in the least. it takes getting used to, but it makes the install very very easy.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:17 PM
JDMStanced

THey won't be for looks. I did a long searching on prosport gauges. No one said they gave them problems other than boost gauges.

now i know who to ask about gauge installation
Old 09-07-2011, 02:32 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

just sayin, my amber ones had malfunctions after a few months of one summer.
It was due to sunlight heat.

install? well they are all mechanical, so youll have to get your own sensors or tap the existing ones... aside from that.. i wire the amber illum to the constant power and hit that right at my head unit harness... they are very low voltage. Ground them on the airbag screw behind the a pillar.. usa bullet crimp opn connnectors at the pillar so it can be removed inthe future.
leave plenty of slack so you can pull the ap pillar out and away and then unplug your connectors at the pilar.
run your other wires out the gromet behind your battery to the engine bay etc..., done.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:44 PM
JDMStanced

Thanks for your instruction!
Prosport ones are electrical, not mechanical. It comes with temp. sensor and everything needed to install.
Maybe i should wrap the gauges with heat wrap lol
Is it possible to change the gauge face color to white, or change the LED color later on?

Last edited by JDMStanced; 09-07-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:18 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bmccann101
just sayin, my amber ones had malfunctions after a few months of one summer.
It was due to sunlight heat.

install? well they are all mechanical, so youll have to get your own sensors or tap the existing ones... aside from that.. i wire the amber illum to the constant power and hit that right at my head unit harness... they are very low voltage. Ground them on the airbag screw behind the a pillar.. usa bullet crimp opn connnectors at the pillar so it can be removed inthe future.
leave plenty of slack so you can pull the ap pillar out and away and then unplug your connectors at the pilar.
run your other wires out the gromet behind your battery to the engine bay etc..., done.
Originally Posted by bmccann101
if you jsut want them for looks, save your cash.. i had several and they die in the suns heat.. started freaking out and jumping needels everywhere.

If you have to, buy the amber and white, wire the amber light up.. it looks very nice actually.

Since going FI, i moved up to real gauges... marshal scx gagues in amber/white.. these are real quality items.
prosport is crap to be perfectly honest.
BUUUT, out of the crap gauges, they are the nicest in my experience.

the a pillar doesnt affect yor drivng view in the least. it takes getting used to, but it makes the install very very easy.
ProSport gauges aren't crap. I've used them for the past 5 years, and haven't even had a sender die on me.

They're electrical, not mechanical.

As for installation, you can wire them all to the same power source, such as the lighter wiring. They draw such little power, so there's no worry. Wiring is extremely easy, the gauges look nice, and they are accurate. The blue isn't harsh at night, but it wouldn't fit with your other lighting. I have blue in my old Celica, green in my wife's WRX, and blue/white in my GTR. I'm also ordering a set of the ProSport EVO gauges for water temp, oil temp, and voltage.

Try contact ProSport themselves and ask if they can offer a white face. I doubt it. You won't be able to change everything out, and it wouldn't be worth the money, anyway. Just buy new ones, as they're cheap.

Last edited by Spork; 09-08-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:30 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Spork
ProSport gauges aren't crap. I've used them for the past 5 years, and haven't even had a sender die on me.

They're electrical, not mechanical.

As for installation, you can wire them all to the same power source, such as the lighter wiring. They draw such little power, so there's no worry. Wiring is extremely easy, the gauges look nice, and they are accurate. The blue isn't harsh at night, but it wouldn't fit with your other lighting. I have blue in my old Celica, green in my wife's WRX, and blue/white in my GTR. I'm also ordering a set of the ProSport EVO gauges for water temp, oil temp, and voltage.

Try contact ProSport themselves and ask if they can offer a white face. I doubt it. You won't be able to change everything out, and it wouldn't be worth the money, anyway. Just buy new ones, as they're cheap.

Pro Sport are pretty damn amazing for the price. But there are mechanical and electrical versions. Maybe the bad experiences were had with the mechanical version?

OP put your gauges in the stock 3 gauge cluster.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:22 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

are they electrical? Yes.
Do they include sending untis for anything? Mine sure didnt. I should ahve been more precise on my statement.

Are they awesome for the money, sure.. but i guess after mine died on me, i have a bad taste for them now.. especially since i found some SUPER solid Marshall gauges for just a hair over the price of these.. found a gal who sells em on ebay w a "make an offer" option.. i was able to get full electrical gauges and the sending units for around 100 bucks ea, non sending unti models for about 75 bucks.. shaved a good 30 percent off the retail prices.. still cheaper than going defi for me.

Im not knocking everynes prosports on a namebrand basis or anything.. ive owned several. I mean, its far better than rocking some Glowshift crap
But lets be honest that they arent top of the line gauges.. and mine broke... weird.

I try to save ppl money of buying once .. then twice later on... by reccomending good stuff the first time around.

ANyways OP.. your first question.. what do amber Prosports look like in the car? you can see they match nicely. Much better than the White/multicolor ones.

Last edited by bmccann101; 09-08-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:05 PM
JDMStanced

that looks more like red. looks good!
I'm going to look for a place to nstall other than a pillar. it kills too much view for autox
since you used prosport, let me ask this. the gauges come w mounting brackets. can these be used without cups on non flat surface?
Old 09-08-2011, 08:59 PM
gregom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still prefer orange... best combo I think. Easy to read but not overpoweringly bright either. I've had different cars with different color gauges, but I keep going back to wanting orange.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ProSport also offers their Premium line. These gauges are a lot more shallow (just over 1") and offer PEAK settings. The mounting cups are also shallow to fit these.

Along with their EVO line (red or blue), which is going in my center console.

Originally Posted by JDMStanced
that looks more like red. looks good!
I'm going to look for a place to nstall other than a pillar. it kills too much view for autox
since you used prosport, let me ask this. the gauges come w mounting brackets. can these be used without cups on non flat surface?
They can be mounted without cups, and the included mounting bracket can be bent to your mounting location's shape. Personally, I'd order some of their mounting cups, as it provides a much cleaner install, while offering 360 degree rotation, etc.

Here's a pic of mounting bracket.

Here's the mounting cup.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:56 PM
JDMStanced

Last edited by JDMStanced; 09-12-2011 at 12:51 PM.