Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installation Question: Seibon Carbon Fiber Rear Fenders

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 07:55 AM
MeinVinyl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Installation Question: Seibon Carbon Fiber Rear Fenders

I have messaged people that have them, no response. I have messaged Seibon with the inqury.... No response.

This is the issue - I live in NE where rust does occur on cars that are driving daily... Unfortunately, I bought my Z online and was not informed of the rust that had already formed on the rear quarter panels just on the front sides of both wheel wells. I am trying to find out if the carbon fiber rear fenders/quarters are full replacements or just overlays on top of the factory fender. Reason for this is not to do a full carbon Z (So don't start that thread... again), but Carbon Fiber doesn't rust and it would be painted over while the body shop would charge $600 to fix the rust ON ONE side, I could purchase the Carbon Fenders and have them painted for just $500 more.

I saw in a forum about one full carbon Z that his rear Carbon Fiber fenders were just overlays that he bought and had to sand down his factory fenders to get things to sit flush. No manufacturer was mentioned and he or she hasn't responded to my PMs. I have searched interior/exterior with no luck on the actual installation required. Does anyone know if the Seibon rear fenders are overlays or full replacements as well as any install information would be greatly appreciated? Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:15 AM
shaddy-z.

I have a friend that has done the installation with the seibon fenders. They are full replacements and are about 10mm wider than stock. The way he did it was cut the stock fenders, seal them for rust etc, and then used some sort of industrial glue to put it on the car. All of this was done professionally and it turned out great. I can post pictures of his car when I get home, I'm at work.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:57 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 411 Likes on 235 Posts

^^this.
they are not overlays.. they replace that section of sheet metal.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:06 AM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd just find new quarters and rework them.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:32 AM
MeinVinyl

Originally Posted by Shaddy-Z.
I have a friend that has done the installation with the seibon fenders. They are full replacements and are about 10mm wider than stock. The way he did it was cut the stock fenders, seal them for rust etc, and then used some sort of industrial glue to put it on the car. All of this was done professionally and it turned out great. I can post pictures of his car when I get home, I'm at work.
That would be REALLY helpful. This way I can talk to the body shop and see how much they would charge for install unless I tried it myself (which is doubtful)

Originally Posted by bmccann101
^^this.
they are not overlays.. they replace that section of sheet metal.
That's what I figured, but Seibon actually sent another member of a different Z forum a message about a year ago (he believes) that the old style is an overlay and the new style is a full replacement that includes the door hook, which they don't show on their site.

Originally Posted by lgear080
I'd just find new quarters and rework them.
I can pick up quarters relatively cheap, but I think the Carbon Fiber would be a better long term option for my situation.

There is some corrosion on the hood and front fenders that needs to be sanded down and repainted, but I think I may do the CF front fenders too and buy the HR hood as a local guy has 3 of them from Nissan (primered) for only $200/ea!!! As well as I'm looking at the Nismo V2 front bumper and Ings N Spec Type E side skirts to go with the Stillen rear lip I already have. Carbon Kevlar Front/Rear diffusers & flat bottoms are this next summer too... (now I'm rambling)

This way I can have them paint everything at the same time and save time, money and my patience than bringing everything in at different times.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:47 AM
IDrm350

Can you post some pics of the damage to this car? It sound like a car from the 70s.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:05 PM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

They might be better rust wise, but are your wheels going to "fit" the Wider rear? I know it's 10mm, but 10mm wider may make a big deal.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:42 PM
MeinVinyl

Originally Posted by IDrm350
Can you post some pics of the damage to this car? It sound like a car from the 70s.
lol - I'm sure that I can, but currently at work. Will take pictures tonight and post tomorrow.

Originally Posted by graffkid732
They might be better rust wise, but are your wheels going to "fit" the Wider rear? I know it's 10mm, but 10mm wider may make a big deal.
Currently Seibon offers stock width and 10mm wide version. I can get the standard and not really worry about it. Either way, I can always get a different offset wheel down the road. My car is still sitting on stock suspension with Nismo LMGT4
Old 12-21-2011, 09:10 PM
06z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen those quarter panels in person 2 years ago....the car I saw them on were NOT replacement quarters they were over lays (if were talking about the same quarter panels that is....the do luck replicas right?)
Old 12-22-2011, 04:51 AM
MeinVinyl

well, you asked to see the damage caused by corrosion, so here it is:

Driver's side rear fender:
Name:  2011-12-21161516.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  78.7 KB

Passenger side rear fender:
Name:  2011-12-21161552.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  73.1 KB

The front driver's side fender (and yes, I know I need new tires):
Name:  2011-12-21161528.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  76.5 KB

The front of the hood (it's actually chipping all around the outside edge of the hood):
Name:  2011-12-21161540.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  62.6 KB

A local Z guy got back to me as I guess he's done the rears on both the Z33 & the Z32. He only had pictures of the Z32 unfortunately, but it gives me an idea. His didn't come with the door hooks for the door jam, so I'm not sure if that is something I'm going to have to order or how that would work...
Old 12-22-2011, 07:18 AM
MeinVinyl

Originally Posted by 06z33
I've seen those quarter panels in person 2 years ago....the car I saw them on were NOT replacement quarters they were over lays (if were talking about the same quarter panels that is....the do luck replicas right?)
I'm looking at the Seibon OEM replacements