Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solutions for Covering Aftermarket Sunroof...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 02:28 PM
cookiemonsterJS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solutions for Covering Aftermarket Sunroof...

Hi guys, I'm a new Z owner as of today, just picked up an 07 Silver Grand Touring MT6 w/ 35k on the clock that's been awesome to me....except for one thing. The previous owner installed a cheap sunroof on the Z! (http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/sfcsunroof.htm) and at highway speeds (70-85+) the wind noise is pretty bad.

I'm thinking of 2 things - either trying to make a better seal or covering it. My question to those of you with the knowledge/experience is, how would I go about EFFECTIVELY covering it to make sure there would be no wind noise from the cover and more importantly, that it would truly seal and not look hideous like someone just riveted some crap down. Also, if you have ballpark figures for cost, I know nothing's going to be exact, I'm just trying to figure out which avenue to take.

I can say that I don't mind having it THAT much, but there's not internal cover, so the sun shines right through the tint all day, and it only protects against 92% of UV Rays which isn't good enough for a pale guy like me who lives in FL.

Your thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-14-2012, 03:30 PM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is one cheap azz sunroof.Its really a pop roof.
What other "great" mods did the previous owner do to your Z?
Depending on your budget,getting the thing removed and filled in correctly
will be costly.You must have got a great deal to buy a Z with this type of crap roof.
An option would be a roof overlay...CF(carbon fiber).You could probably get the hole sealed,new headliner,make sure the roof has a smooth surface,slap on the roof overlay.
I've not seen this done OVER a sunroof hole,but it seems possible.
Actually,never met anyone dumb enough to cut the roof of a Z and install this ricer part.

Good luck.

I'll bet you will get some "creative" posts to your problem.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:21 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 411 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by JCITY
will be costly.You must have got a great deal to buy a Z with this type of crap roof.
An option would be a roof overlay...CF(carbon fiber).You could probably get the hole sealed,new headliner,make sure the roof has a smooth surface,slap on the roof overlay.
Actually,never met anyone dumb enough to cut the roof of a Z and install this ricer part.

Good luck.

buy a new headliner that is uncut used from slidegood.com.. have some sheet metal lightly tacked in ..prime for rust..seal with silicone.

cover it all up w a carbon fiber roof cover.

Done cheaply.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:12 AM
QuintonC

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

^ That's what I was thinking. You could also try to find an Asuka Double Hump roof and cover it up after you get a new headliner and have a guy tack in some sheet metal
Old 07-16-2012, 05:21 AM
cookiemonsterJS

Originally Posted by bmccann101
buy a new headliner that is uncut used from slidegood.com.. have some sheet metal lightly tacked in ..prime for rust..seal with silicone.

cover it all up w a carbon fiber roof cover.

Done cheaply.
I did some research and I think Seibon is the only CF roof i'd go with, and it's 960 bucks...so that probably wouldn't happen.

Is there any reason why I can't just go with part # 112-CF4MA (Roof) and get a body shop to swap them out? The rails and all of that extra stuff has to still be there, so it should just be the actual roof...I figure that part (about 400) plus paint and labor should be about 600 bucks total, MAYBE 700, right?

What do you guys think? Am I missing anything? I just think welding **** and still paying over 400 bucks would just suck. I'd rather pay 6-700 and have it be OEM, the way it's supposed to be, no worries about rust or seals or any of that crap.

Last edited by cookiemonsterJS; 07-16-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:32 AM
cookiemonsterJS

Originally Posted by JCITY

Good luck.

Ironically, that's the only mod they did to this Z, EVERYTHING else is stock. I did get a really good deal. I got a GT '07 with 35k miles on a 1 owner car for 20k from a dealer, that should have easily been 23000. I wanted to go private party, but had to finance, so dealer was my only option, and ALL other dealers within 1k miles were charging 20k (before taxes) for BASE models with 60-70k miles in much worse condition.

Realistically, the only issue with this car IS the sunroof, while a big issue, it's not a deal breaker for me, I just need to figure out if I can afford to fix it the right way (sheet metal + CF overlay + Paint?) or if I need to just make a better seal and live with it how it is for now.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:33 AM
TPete19

Originally Posted by cookiemonsterJS
I did some research and I think Seibon is the only CF roof i'd go with, and it's 960 bucks...so that probably wouldn't happen.

Is there any reason why I can't just go with part # 112-CF4MA (Roof) and get a body shop to swap them out? The rails and all of that extra stuff has to still be there, so it should just be the actual roof...I figure that part (about 400) plus paint and labor should be about 600 bucks total, MAYBE 700, right?

What do you guys think? Am I missing anything? I just think welding **** and still paying over 400 bucks would just suck. I'd rather pay 6-700 and have it be OEM, the way it's supposed to be, no worries about rust or seals or any of that crap.
I would think that the only way to replace the roof panel would be to weld it in... No?

I'd have a body shop weld in a new piece or another roof cut from a parts car. Get a new/used headliner and you're golden.

It'll end up being less expensive than doing the CF panel cover-up idea and will actually be done right, not just hiding the problem.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:44 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 411 Likes on 235 Posts

true. ^
Old 07-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If the sunroof was installed correctly and you can have a shop confirm that the structural integrity of the roof has been maintained and I would actually try to fix the sunroof so that you can continue to use it.

A sunroof on a Z is a pretty rare sight and if you can get it fixed so that it it works properly your Z will be worth more to an enthusiast in the future.

It might negatively affect your resale value to a dealer but privately you could raise the value if you save the receipts from the repair.