Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermaket hood letting water into the Belts

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 09:22 AM
aavq85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermaket hood letting water into the Belts

when i purchase my Z it came with two hoods, the factory and an aftermarket carbon fiber hood. off course i put the aftermarket hood right away after a fresh coat of Flat black paint. i'm locate in Florida and it rains here just about everyday, especially in the summer.

the new hood lets water into the engine bay and i notice after a heavy rain when is start the car i can hear the belt squeaking and my battery light goes crazy for a bit until the water gets pushed away by the motion of the belts.

I'm pretty sure it cant be good for the belts to be slipping like that or the alternator, is there any simple solutions to this problem? i was thinking maybe a cover that goes from the alternator to the engine. i found some that they sell but is only for the alternator.

any ideas? anyone else ran into this problem?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermaket hood letting water into the Belts-hood.jpg  
Old 07-27-2012, 09:41 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Put the stock hood back on.

If your car is N/A, what do you need a scoop for?
Old 07-27-2012, 09:52 AM
reserved

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sell your CF hood to me
Old 07-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Bret86944

I'm not sure I can help you. All I see in the picture is a big pile of rice.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Syner

Originally Posted by Bret86944
I'm not sure I can help you. All I see in the picture is a big pile of rice.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by Syner
Put the stock hood back on.

If your car is N/A, what do you need a scoop for?
because racecar
Old 07-27-2012, 12:13 PM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obviously the CF hood is doing nothing function wise for your car.
You have it on there for looks.
You painted it flat black?Guys like CF because it LOOKS cool.No weight savings
Why?Was the clearcoat shot?
A common sense remedy would be to seal off the openings with fiberglass.
Paint that,flat black.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Syner

Originally Posted by Phenom
because racecar
hahah I honestly cracked up at that.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:39 PM
DunZcon

carbon fiber hoods are for garage baby Z's. Not for ones that stay outside.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:56 PM
aavq85

the car came with the hood.. i just like the hood style, but i didnt like the carbon fiber look that is why it was painted flat black.
i guess fiber glass will be the best solution, like you said is just there for the looks it serves no other functions than to make the owner happier.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:06 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JCITY
Paint that,flat black.
Problem solved if you still want to keep that hood on
Old 07-27-2012, 01:08 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

would have to disagree with this a bit, if CF is done correctly theres definitely weight savings, thats why lambo, ferrari, and most supercar companys are switching to cf over aluminum, heck SSC even makes the frame from CF. on our hood that is light as **** though? minimum weight savings, other parts? could be major weight savings.
Originally Posted by JCITY
Obviously the CF hood is doing nothing function wise for your car.
You have it on there for looks.
You painted it flat black?Guys like CF because it LOOKS cool.No weight savings
Why?Was the clearcoat shot?
Paint that,flat black.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Arvin89

Originally Posted by jerryd87
would have to disagree with this a bit, if CF is done correctly theres definitely weight savings, thats why lambo, ferrari, and most supercar companys are switching to cf over aluminum, heck SSC even makes the frame from CF. on our hood that is light as **** though? minimum weight savings, other parts? could be major weight savings.
Have to disagree with your disagreement. Jcity hit the nail on the head with this one. If the car companies were looking for a lightweight strong material. They would go with Kevlar. They're using Carbon because of how it looks and its somewhat of a fad. I have a cousin who has a Kevlar hood on his Aston, its got to weigh less than 3 pounds.

Also, in terms of the Z, the carbon fiber hoods available for the Z at this time weigh the same or more than the stock aluminum hood.

Last edited by Arvin89; 07-27-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:58 PM
seekanddestroy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to disagree with you disagreeing with his disagreement. He clearly states that, "...if CF is done correctly theres definitely weight savings..." Unfortunately at least in my case and most others it was not done correctly, my CF hood weighs WAY more than my stock hood and its double sided even. So in that, I do agree
Old 07-27-2012, 05:01 PM
jerryd87

no offense but have you see kevlar cloth? i have i build things out of both for personal use kevlar looks identical to carbon fiber but has more colors available(or get a mix and get both.) they both use the exact same resin, and the cloth weight of 1 square yard of 3k carbon can be had at both 5.7 and 6 oz weights(as in that yard weighs 5.7 or 6 oz), cloth weight for 1 square yard of 3k kevlar? 5.7 or 6 oz. weight wise they are identical any carbon part being heavier is because the maker is stupid or making strictly pieces for looks which are only a carbon cover with a glass core or has a retarded amount of resin on it to give it the "mile deep" look which actually weakens the part.

the difference between the two is the type of strength, carbon has better rigidity but tends to fracture on impact, kevlar is more resistant to this(and the proper name is aramid, kevlar is actually the brand name..... like calling all glass cleaner windex or calling all bleach chlorox.) however kevlar also flex's more leading to less rigidity. lotus saved over 200 lbs going to a carbon, aramid, and in some spots a hybrid that contains both, frame over the aluminum. the new shelby mustang gt500 saved over 100 lbs replacing aluminum parts with carbon. saying the companies are doing it for the looks is vastly incorrect since the lamborghini aventadors entire body is made of it but you cant see it since is painted(and i belive the mercialago is the same way).

like i said the stock hood is light as ****, even done properly not a whole lot will be saved,but some weight can be saved, i would start with the hatch first though and not the crap that is available(vis and seibon are both ****in trash)

stock hood is 26.4 lbs, a dry carbon hood depending how rigid a person wanted it could get as low as 5 lbs, wet layup with a vacuum bag(not going to be shiny at all or have that look of a mile deep most are looking for, but a race piece.) be closer to about 10-12 lbs.

or can do what im doing, take stock hood, make some carbon fiber hood vents(the one i have is about half a lb top and takes up a significant amount of room) cut the skeleton out of the hood and add the vents, prob have a 10 lb hood or so with that.......... prob 15 lbs if i cover the entire assembly with carbon fiber for rigidity but my **** is getting painted so wont notice it.

i make parts so i know what they weigh when done correctly =P
Originally Posted by Arvin89
Have to disagree with your disagreement. Jcity hit the nail on the head with this one. If the car companies were looking for a lightweight strong material. They would go with Kevlar. They're using Carbon because of how it looks and its somewhat of a fad. I have a cousin who has a Kevlar hood on his Aston, its got to weigh less than 3 pounds.

Also, in terms of the Z, the carbon fiber hoods available for the Z at this time weigh the same or more than the stock aluminum hood.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:03 PM
jerryd87

exactly i believe both vis and seibon hoods have glass cores as well, which glass is about twice the weight of carbon and aramid, plus the polyester resins they use are thicker as well so they tend to absorb into the cloth less and more be used. adding weight, i know when i build stuff it only gets epoxy resin which flows very well, it just needs a topcoat. clearcoat if you intend to leave the look or in my case painted.

the point in a real aramid or carbon part is to use as little resin as possible, because resin is brittle, the less you use the less chance of cracking, plus less means lighter weight.
Originally Posted by seekanddestroy
I have to disagree with you disagreeing with his disagreement. He clearly states that, "...if CF is done correctly theres definitely weight savings..." Unfortunately at least in my case and most others it was not done correctly, my CF hood weighs WAY more than my stock hood and its double sided even. So in that, I do agree

Last edited by jerryd87; 07-27-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:06 PM
misterniceguy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may just have to tighten up the belt a little. I have had a vented hood on for years now and there is no issues with water.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Arvin89

I dont doubt the weight issue. But i still think its a fad thing. The stuffs been out for years. However its only recently that we've seen the manufacturers switch to it. I'm not saying that the weight issue has no impact on the decision to use it though.

And as for OP, are you sure your belt doesnt need a bit of tension?
Old 07-27-2012, 08:04 PM
jerryd87

i think the reason its catching on more is the affordability factor, price has really dropped i can get a 50" by 1 yard piece for 25 bucks 3k 2x2 twill, 10 years ago or so the price was triple that or more.

is it a fad for alot of people? sure but that wasnt the original intent i know alot of our military equipment uses it now for lighter carry weight, while maintaining strength.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:51 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryd87
The CF on exotics, military, true race cars, planes etc are aerospace prepreg dry carbon with minimal resin and completely carbon all the way through the entire part. The aftermarket crap out there for our Zs is made of fiberglass with one aesthetic layer of carbon and too much brushed in resin.

Quick Reply: Aftermaket hood letting water into the Belts