Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for a mine's CF lip

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 10:44 PM
jamesturbooo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a mine's CF lip

relatively new to the family and have heard that they've discontinued these? anyone know a way i can somehow buy one? much appreciated

Old 07-29-2012, 11:24 PM
bluelineshooter

Keeping your eyes peeled on ebay and our marketplace would be a good start. Also the Veilside V1 lip is pretty much identical if I recall... geniuses correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 07-29-2012, 11:28 PM
bluelineshooter

Found this thread. Check it out to see what those guys did.

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior/54...p-03-05-a.html
Old 07-30-2012, 02:48 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to hyper_rev_motors on e-bay.
Or search,MINES LIP 350Z first on e-bay.
EVO-R sells them under this name.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:36 AM
sry110

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelineshooter
Keeping your eyes peeled on ebay and our marketplace would be a good start. Also the Veilside V1 lip is pretty much identical if I recall... geniuses correct me if I'm wrong...
They are very similar, but the main difference is that the center portion of the Mine's lip is set back a bit from the two side portions.

Here's an 'aerial' shot so you can see the contour of the Mine's lip:

Name:  b68b82ad.jpg
Views: 3687
Size:  183.5 KB

And here is the Veilside V1 lip:

Name:  IMG_0259.jpg
Views: 2729
Size:  104.8 KB

Note, if you go with Veilside you get the cool Veilside badge in the center of the lip, but you're also going to pay $150-$200 more for it than you would for the Mine's lip. And in my experience having installed both of these myself, I actually found the Mine's lip to be a better fit (keeping in mind that my VS lip was FRP, and not CF).

Last edited by sry110; 07-30-2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:33 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looking for this lip as well for an 04. Dont care if its replica.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:37 AM
sry110

Originally Posted by RedBullRR
Looking for this lip as well for an 04. Dont care if its replica.
Here you go:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-05-Nissan...d807a5&vxp=mtr

Same seller that JCITY linked to earlier, except this is the one for 03-05 bumpers. And I believe the story on these lips is that Mine's stopped making them a couple years ago, and somehow Evo-r (or whoever their factory is) came into possession of the molds and started manufacturing them. Dimensionally they are identical to the original lips manufactured by Mine's, but they do not carry the Mine's emblem (STATEMENT REMOVED BECAUSE UPON FURTHER CONSIDERATION, I AGREE WITH Ruthless18x's FIRST COMMENT BELOW).

EDIT: I went back and found Evo-R's original marketplace posting for these lips, and found that my description above regarding how Evo-R came to sell these lips was not accurate. See my post below (post #9) for link to the thread.

Last edited by sry110; 07-30-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:06 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ Are you promoting authentically badging a replica?

If you want a real one instead of that POS, RHDJapan carries Mines products.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:30 AM
sry110

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
^ Are you promoting authentically badging a replica?

If you want a real one instead of that POS, RHDJapan carries Mines products.
Not really. I'm saying that based on the story I read, Mine's stopped selling these lips, while the factory that makes the Mine's lips continued to produce them and sell them to Evo-r, who retailed them to us. If that's true, then I would not call these lips "replica", but maybe "unbranded".

EDIT: "Promoting" isn't really the right word. I'd go more with "informing".
EDIT#2: I thought about it some more, and you're right. Even if they are physically identical and made from the same original mold, they cannot be branded as the original. This sort of thing happens all the time in the industrial world, gas turbines as an example - Westinghouse (now Siemens) will come up with a gas turbine design, the W501F turbine for example, and then sign a deal with Mitsubishi making them a "licensee" for the design. In turn, Mitsubishi releases their M501F gas turbine which is a cookie-cutter, form/fit/function product to the original Westinghouse turbine. But, they cannot but a Westinghouse nameplate on it, they have to put their own Mitsubishi nameplate. So on that premise, I agree, it would not be ethical to put a Mine's decal on this lip, even if you know it's the same physical lip as the previously branded ones sold thru Mine's. Not to mention, to some extent you are paying for the Mine's name, and presumably the lip cost a lot more back when Mine's was actually selling it.

The subtlety that I got caught up in is that this is a different scenario from the Volk vs. Rota/Varrs/et. al. debate, because those are actually replicas made from different materials and manufacturing processes than the authentic product.
/edit.

I probably would not personally put a Mine's logo on this lip, only because I cannot be 100% sure it's not a "replica". But I know from first-hand experience that this fits better than any replica piece I've ever bought, and that leads me to believe that Evo-r's story is true. And most certainly I would not call this lip a POS. It fits better than my authentic Veilside V1 lip did.

Source:
https://my350z.com/forum/body-exteri...rom-evo-r.html

Now, that's coming from a vendor who is no longer allowed to sell here due to unscrupulous activity or some such thing, so take it with a grain of salt.

Also, spend a minute or two browsing through RHDJapan's site, go to the lips/wings section for Z33, and filter by Mine's, and you will not find the front lip.
http://www.rhdjapan.com/nissan/z33-f...spoilers-wings

Additionally, go to the Mine's website and search through their products for the 350z. You will find the front lip in carbon fiber, but it shows as being no longer available:
http://www.ppi-mines.com/350Z2.html

And the Japanese Mine's site doesn't show the front lip at all:
http://www.mines-wave.com/JP/CATALOG/Z33.html

Is it totally cool to put a Mine's decal on this unbranded lip? No.
Am I convinced that this lip is physically identical and made from the same mold as the original branded Mine's lip? Yes.

Last edited by sry110; 07-30-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:44 AM
Ruthless18x

^ good explanation.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:08 AM
jamesturbooo

just checked out the guy selling on ebay
Old 07-30-2012, 10:14 AM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

I wish people would stop calling the EVO-R lip Mine's; I don't care if they have the "mold" to the Mine's design, it's still not authentic and shouldn't be mistaken as such. At any rate, I like the design and would put it on my car but I would never put a Mine's sticker on it.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:16 PM
JCITY
Banned

Thumbs up NO difference!

Originally Posted by sry110
Not really. I'm saying that based on the story I read, Mine's stopped selling these lips, while the factory that makes the Mine's lips continued to produce them and sell them to Evo-r, who retailed them to us. If that's true, then I would not call these lips "replica", but maybe "unbranded".

EDIT: "Promoting" isn't really the right word. I'd go more with "informing".
EDIT#2: I thought about it some more, and you're right. Even if they are physically identical and made from the same original mold, they cannot be branded as the original. This sort of thing happens all the time in the industrial world, gas turbines as an example - Westinghouse (now Siemens) will come up with a gas turbine design, the W501F turbine for example, and then sign a deal with Mitsubishi making them a "licensee" for the design. In turn, Mitsubishi releases their M501F gas turbine which is a cookie-cutter, form/fit/function product to the original Westinghouse turbine. But, they cannot but a Westinghouse nameplate on it, they have to put their own Mitsubishi nameplate. So on that premise, I agree, it would not be ethical to put a Mine's decal on this lip, even if you know it's the same physical lip as the previously branded ones sold thru Mine's. Not to mention, to some extent you are paying for the Mine's name, and presumably the lip cost a lot more back when Mine's was actually selling it.

The subtlety that I got caught up in is that this is a different scenario from the Volk vs. Rota/Varrs/et. al. debate, because those are actually replicas made from different materials and manufacturing processes than the authentic product.
/edit.

I probably would not personally put a Mine's logo on this lip, only because I cannot be 100% sure it's not a "replica". But I know from first-hand experience that this fits better than any replica piece I've ever bought, and that leads me to believe that Evo-r's story is true. And most certainly I would not call this lip a POS. It fits better than my authentic Veilside V1 lip did.

Source:
https://my350z.com/forum/body-exteri...rom-evo-r.html

Now, that's coming from a vendor who is no longer allowed to sell here due to unscrupulous activity or some such thing, so take it with a grain of salt.

Also, spend a minute or two browsing through RHDJapan's site, go to the lips/wings section for Z33, and filter by Mine's, and you will not find the front lip.
http://www.rhdjapan.com/nissan/z33-f...spoilers-wings

Additionally, go to the Mine's website and search through their products for the 350z. You will find the front lip in carbon fiber, but it shows as being no longer available:
http://www.ppi-mines.com/350Z2.html

And the Japanese Mine's site doesn't show the front lip at all:
http://www.mines-wave.com/JP/CATALOG/Z33.html

Is it totally cool to put a Mine's decal on this unbranded lip? No.
Am I convinced that this lip is physically identical and made from the same mold as the original branded Mine's lip? Yes.
I hope this info puts a end to this pissing contest.
I have a "Mine's" lip.Purchase it through EVO-R ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO.
It fits perfectly.30 min install.The quality,finish of the CF is perfect.
I have a friend that has an Original Mine's on his 03 Track.Looking at
my lip compared to his...cars side by side,THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE.In fact,
mine has what appears to be a better finish.My buddy has a Mine's logo
sticker on his.I had Mine's logo die-cut decals reproduced.My logo
is IDENTICAL to his in size/font/color.When Mine's produced lips for the
03-05&06-08 350's,thelips were made in Taiwan,not Japan.
Made in the same factory.A matter a fact,most CF product is made in
Taipai,Taiwan.The ugly part of this story is that EVO-R (Jay)offered and sold the lips to the Z community at a price of $459.After awhile,he said that the 03-05 lips could no longer be produced.The "mold was broken,could not be repaired".He dropped out of sight.Low&behold,EVO-R created a subsidiary
on e-bay,hyper_rev_motors.Among many other CF parts are the Mine's
lips for both 03-06-08 cars!The cost has gone up about $100(which IMO,
is still a deal given the fit,design&quality).With EVO-R selling through
e-bay,he cannot pull the same crap of bad service etc.If Jay did,he'd
be tossed out.If you check the reviews on hyper_rev,they are pretty good.
A matter a fact,I've got a Blitz spoiler due in this week from hyper=rev...prepainted/CF rear section.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:58 PM
JCITY
Banned

Cool Your perogative

Originally Posted by AdvanZ33
I wish people would stop calling the EVO-R lip Mine's; I don't care if they have the "mold" to the Mine's design, it's still not authentic and shouldn't be mistaken as such. At any rate, I like the design and would put it on my car but I would never put a Mine's sticker on it.
Dude,read my post on the Mine's mystery.
Same mold,same factory...
What if Nissan sold out completely to...Toyota.
The next day,the Nissan workers were now Toyota workers.
The plant that produces the Z is now producing the same car
under the Toyota banner.
Same deal.
Possibly you are a bit envious because you don't have a Mine's or can't
spring for almost 600 bucks to order one?
IMO,its the best looking lip for the 350.
The lip looks like it came on the car as a OEM part.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:01 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by JCITY
under the Toyota banner.
Same deal.
You're right, it is my prerogative. Just like it was my prerogative to buy a CF Veilside V1 lip. You're opinion about the EVO-R lip isn't a secret, you spread it around this forum like a plague with fascinating stories of molds and Taiwan; if I remember correctly, you even sold decals to make other non-Mine's lips look as such. Their auctions even state "MINES have discontinued this lip so we have the rights of this molding," therefore they can call it whatever they want but it is no longer a Mine's product.

If the box your lip came in didn't say Mine's, it isn't a Mine's lip. Period (unless you bought it used if you want to get technical). When your "Blitz" wing arrives in a non-Blitz box it's going to be the same thing.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:55 PM
Ruthless18x

Originally Posted by JCITY
under the Toyota banner.
Same deal.
This is a ******** post. Who are you to call him out on what he can and can't afford when your's isn't authentic regardless of what you think. Your's wasn't ordered from a Mines retailer and it didn't have a factory applied logo, therefore not authentic. I usually agree with your posts but you can't be calling him out on what he can and can't afford when you have many "budget" parts. Shine this, knock-off Amuse that, give me a break.

Listing it as authentic is pathetic. You bought it from Evo-R and logo'd it yourself...

Last edited by Ruthless18x; 07-30-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:44 PM
VQpoweredZ

For the record I contacted RHD Japan a while back for the "authentic" Mines front lip and they said they couldn't get it. I forget the exact reason but I believe they said it was discontinued or something.

As for the EVO-R "Mines" Lip (whatever you want to call it), I also own one and it does fit very well. I agree with the unbranded statement above. A true replica would be worse in both the quality and the fitment and the EVO-R version is not lacking in either area.

It totally makes sense that these were made from the same molds that Mines used. But then again it's hard to be sure.

After typing this response my EVO-R Mines lip might just crack tomorrow going to work and i'll have to somehow save for a Veilside V1 .

Last edited by VQpoweredZ; 07-30-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:01 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not sure why everyone is getting so testy over this subject?

OP you have two options..

Make a WTB post here in the Vendor marketplace:

https://my350z.com/forum/vendor-wanted-86/

or

Make a WTB in our Private marketplace:

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior/55...uy-thread.html