Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

INGS Sideskirt clearance question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 04:20 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default INGS Sideskirt clearance question

OK...I'm thinking of adding these now (LX version..I have rear bumper already). I understand there have been clearance issues with these...over speed bumps and getting car on a lift. My car is about 1" lowered and I currently have about 4.5" clearance at the lowest points on each of the ends.
I found and old thread where the guy had Hotchkiss Springs (which are about the same as my Nismo fronts and Prokit rears) with Ings and he got 3" up front on the skirts..which is very low.
Anyone here know of this *problem* with the INGS skirts? They are apparantly very thick..which adds another 1/2" or so.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:06 PM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm running the LX skirt and yes, it add a lot of depth in appearance/clearance... which is a good thing IMO.

Pending on the size of the speed bump, you probably won't have any problems clearing it with a 1" drop all around. However; I ran gf210 springs with the spring mount mod which lowers my front 1" and rear ~1.5" and had/still have problems clearing speed bumps.
EDIT - I had no problem getting on a lift with these springs.

If you're running LX rear, I suggest running the sides as well b/c IMO no other side skirt will go with the LX rear... maybe the chargespeed side but I'm not a fan of mix match kits.

GL

Last edited by stogey420time; 10-21-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:58 PM
ronn1

Originally Posted by stogey420time
I'm running the LX skirt and yes, it add a lot of depth in appearance/clearance... which is a good thing IMO.

Pending on the size of the speed bump, you probably won't have any problems clearing it with a 1" drop all around. However; I ran gf210 springs with the spring mount mod which lowers my front 1" and rear ~1.5" and had/still have problems clearing speed bumps.
EDIT - I had no problem getting on a lift with these springs.

If you're running LX rear, I suggest running the sides as well b/c IMO no other side skirt will go with the LX rear... maybe the chargespeed side but I'm not a fan of mix match kits.

GL
Thanks..I think you were definitely lower with GF210s and spring mount mod.
Here's my car now..take a look and let me know if you think I'd be OK under most driving conditions with LX sides.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:45 AM
bluelineshooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the INGS kit with a drop. I've never rubbed on anything.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:35 AM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Originally Posted by ronn1
Here's my car now..take a look and let me know if you think I'd be OK under most driving conditions with LX.
No definate answer, it's more of a trial and error type situation. Being that you're lowered with a kit, chances are you will scrape here and there. IMO -1 inch drop isn't that low especially in the rear so you should clear most speed bumps.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:12 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

i was dropped w the Weber side skirts, and dropped as in dropped w coilovers.. about 1.5 inch or so up front.. the only area that is an isue is just behind the trailing edge of the door, just in front of the rear wheel.. the side sirts you are talking about are reasonable.. the weber are about as low as you can get, they are giant. I was very very close.. but was fine.. you will have to adjust your driving habits regardless, end of story.. i mean, im sure you already adjsuted to the drop springs.. this is the same deal..

i am generally only worried about driveways i CANNOT get up into.. vs ones that require patience and care. If thers a certain gas station i ahve to pass becuase i cant get into it well, so be it.. but if i cant get out of my own driveway, theres where i draw the line.
Again, youre wondering how bad the set up you mentioned will be, and I can attest that it will be one of the more modest set ups compared to other choices ppl make.. they will make you car look far better.. as well as cohesive in its style/looks by not mix matching kits/lines

and again,. the major areas of issue of the cars ability to maneuver over things is that area in front of the rear tire as well as the front l/r corners of the nose of the car.. why i reccommended you stick w all Ings/Ings knock off as the splitter type front lips are more difficult to clear sidewalks etc.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:29 AM
ronn1

Originally Posted by bmccann101
i was dropped w the Weber side skirts, and dropped as in dropped w coilovers.. about 1.5 inch or so up front.. the only area that is an isue is just behind the trailing edge of the door, just in front of the rear wheel.. the side sirts you are talking about are reasonable.. the weber are about as low as you can get, they are giant. I was very very close.. but was fine.. you will have to adjust your driving habits regardless, end of story.. i mean, im sure you already adjsuted to the drop springs.. this is the same deal..

i am generally only worried about driveways i CANNOT get up into.. vs ones that require patience and care. If thers a certain gas station i ahve to pass becuase i cant get into it well, so be it.. but if i cant get out of my own driveway, theres where i draw the line.
Again, youre wondering how bad the set up you mentioned will be, and I can attest that it will be one of the more modest set ups compared to other choices ppl make.. they will make you car look far better.. as well as cohesive in its style/looks by not mix matching kits/lines

and again,. the major areas of issue of the cars ability to maneuver over things is that area in front of the rear tire as well as the front l/r corners of the nose of the car.. why i reccommended you stick w all Ings/Ings knock off as the splitter type front lips are more difficult to clear sidewalks etc.
OK..thanks...I figure I can easily handle a 1" drop in clearance with the INGS (that would be around 3.5" of clearance front and rear). I think *problems* start when clearance is getting to 3" or less.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Honestly your best bet is to look at your daily route closely and try to navigate around dips, driveways, and speed bumps that are the most extreme

This means parking on the street instead of pulling into driveways and completely avoiding certain speed bumps all together

I've learned over the years to just avoid certain areas and you will too once you go with any aftermarket sideskirt
Old 10-22-2012, 12:14 PM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Ronn,

What are you doing to the.front?
Old 10-22-2012, 01:06 PM
ronn1

Originally Posted by stogey420time
Ronn,

What are you doing to the.front?
Good question. Personally, the INGS doesn't *do it* for me. I saw your car album and it looks fantastic with the whole kit..but it's black. I have a red car and the front doesn't blend in as well. I run the front without a plate and it looks pretty good as is to me. There is only one other 06 front in urethane...the VIZAGE S type, which I like better, but it still protrudes out to far. If I get one...I'll go with either the Seibon TT CF lip or maybe the EVO-R Veilside knock off.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:19 PM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Look up Crom's car
EDIT - found it.

Last edited by stogey420time; 10-22-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:36 PM
Michla22

Originally Posted by bmccann101
dropped w coilovers.. about 1.5 inch or so up front.. the only area that is an isue is just behind the trailing edge of the door, just in front of the rear wheel.
^^^ this , but I have the INGs +1 not sure how much lower this side skirt is vs the LX.

I have to drive up on wood to get a jack under the sideskirts.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:35 PM
ronn1

Originally Posted by Michla22
^^^ this , but I have the INGs +1 not sure how much lower this side skirt is vs the LX.

I have to drive up on wood to get a jack under the sideskirts.
How low is your car? Looks to be around 1.5"?

Beautifull car btw
Old 10-23-2012, 06:06 AM
Michla22

Originally Posted by ronn1
How low is your car? Looks to be around 1.5"?

Beautifull car btw
yeah about 1.5 in the front and 1.25 in the rear and thanks.