Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 Z Aftermarket Headlights Assistance Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 08:56 PM
bluebadge

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default '04 Z Aftermarket Headlights Assistance Needed!

Ok, it finally happened, some inconsiderate butt-head decided to reverse into the front of my '04 Z Roadster, luckily they were well insured and took full responsibility for the bash. Now onto my question!

I believe I have the HID bulbs in my current headlights as when you turn them on they come on slowly and take a few seconds to reach maximum brightness and they are much more Bluey/White in appearance than regular lights. Anyway since I was bashed in the front end and only one side was damaged I don't want to buy 1 new headlight as it will make the other one look grubby so I am going to replace both units with a pair of aftermarket units.

I am however having difficulty in finding a pair that I can use with HID bulbs, What I am wanting is a pair that has the Angel Eye/Halo look about them. A lot of the people selling these don't seem to specify if they are compatible with HID systems or not, and there is a lot of mention of Halogen bulbs with other similar units, which kind of puts me off.

These were the units I was looking at:

http://www.carid.com/2004-nissan-350...s-1387278.html

If anyone has bought some aftermarmet headlights for use with the factory HID bulbs please get in touch and let me know which ones you purchased and where you got them from and if you had any difficulty installing them, as I want to get my Z fixed asap, It's horrible driving it with a smushed in front end.

Many thanks in advance
cheers
BB
Old 12-25-2012, 09:06 PM
mike_eee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy my 03-05 hid set from market place..plug and play
Old 12-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

those headlights in the link you posted are hideous... use this as a time to upgrade to 06+ lights..
Old 12-26-2012, 01:36 AM
JCITY
Banned

I'd steer away from the headlight units you are looking at.IMO,awful lookin.
As I may have voiced previously,Z owners tend to have a focus on specific
things on their cars.I sure do.Some things its a "must have".Others,I
can care less.Its just me,but not onto the 06+headlight need.I've got
stock HID units in my Z.The lighting is great(my lenses are clear as new)and
they look good to me.Don't really care about doing halos either,even if they
are the trend.If I suffered some bad luck like the OP,I'd have stock HID's
back on.
Different strokes,different folks.

Last edited by JCITY; 12-26-2012 at 01:37 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:59 AM
taywan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those lights look kinda scary op. I'd just stay w the oem or something close to it. GL w getting her back together.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:13 AM
QuintonC

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

06+ headlights.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:45 AM
jasonG35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I clicked on that link. I don't like the look too much of those lights, but people's styles are different.

For $600 though, wow, seems high.

I think going to the factory HID's would be a good option........your fitment will be perfect and you will get better lighting. so many of the aftermarket lighting kits out there just don't fit how OEM stuff does.

example, on our '07 Duramax Chevy, when we bought it, one of the tail lights was cracked. I ended up ordering a set of LED replacement tails for it.

The fitment wasn't perfect..............but this is on a huge GM vehicle......so you eyes don't focus as much on gaps.

With the front of your car, I would be cautious on getting a set of lights and they not fit perfect.......you will always notice it

what's the going rate on a set of used HID lights for a Z?
Old 12-26-2012, 09:14 AM
cgkp0925

Buy a set of used 06+ headlights in the Marketplace on here. You'll be much happier with 06+ in the end.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:50 AM
bluebadge

Ok, so... the consensus of opinion is that my taste sucks! lol. From what I could tell they looked the same as the stock units but with the led halos? Oh well.

Sooo. Taste aside, I guess the new question is, will the '06 headlights be a straight swap? or will I need to break out the damn dremmel? reason I ask is, I was hoping I could just buy the headlights and give them to the dealership to install as they are doing the rest of the insurance work. Honestly I don't feel like doing another DIY, my roof DIY that I posted on here was a labour of love!

Cheers
BB
Old 12-26-2012, 12:19 PM
cgkp0925

Originally Posted by bluebadge
From what I could tell they looked the same as the stock units but with the led halos?

If you have OEM HID headlights, then the 06+ will be a straight plug-n-play. There are many threads on this upgrade for the '03-'05 model years. Just search and you'll find your answers.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:24 PM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bluebadge
Ok, so... the consensus of opinion is that my taste sucks! lol. From what I could tell they looked the same as the stock units but with the led halos? Oh well.

Sooo. Taste aside, I guess the new question is, will the '06 headlights be a straight swap? or will I need to break out the damn dremmel? reason I ask is, I was hoping I could just buy the headlights and give them to the dealership to install as they are doing the rest of the insurance work. Honestly I don't feel like doing another DIY, my roof DIY that I posted on here was a labour of love!

Cheers
BB
Straight swap...
I suggest you go with the oem '06 headlights. Ask your dealer's Parts Mgr. to give you a deal on the '06 headlights pricing....I did & they quoted me $1200 for the pair which is a great price.....I'm now saving up to pay cash!
Old 12-26-2012, 03:54 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I've got a nearly brand-new right side (passenger) '06+ headlight, if you're interested. It was on my car for 2 weeks. My '08 got into a minor front bumper collision, which put a 1/4" scratch in the original right headlight. Allstate bought me a brand new light, and the body shop gave me the old one back, so I just swapped the old one back in and decided to sell the new one. I'm thinking $350 + shipping is a fair price, since Courtesy Nissan wants $625 + shipping for a new one. All three bulbs included, and I'm in the Tampa, FL area.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:07 AM
bluebadge

Default Many thanks!

Thanks dcains but i'm going to pass on your offer as I need 2 units, and i've pretty much set my budget at around $600 total, and sluggoZ, $1200 for two brand spanking new units is a total no go for me, kinda blows my budget... just a tad!

If anyone has come across any good aftermarket parts sites that they have personally dealt with, please post links.

Thanks all for the info on the '06+ light units, I will definitely give it a look at and do some more research within the other threads.

Cheers guys.
BB

Originally Posted by dcains
I've got a nearly brand-new right side (passenger) '06+ headlight, if you're interested. It was on my car for 2 weeks. My '08 got into a minor front bumper collision, which put a 1/4" scratch in the original right headlight. Allstate bought me a brand new light, and the body shop gave me the old one back, so I just swapped the old one back in and decided to sell the new one. I'm thinking $350 + shipping is a fair price, since Courtesy Nissan wants $625 + shipping for a new one. All three bulbs included, and I'm in the Tampa, FL area.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:37 AM
STL 350Z

Uhhhh he called me in....con... uhhh incinerate...

YEAH!!!! YEAH!!! FIRE!