Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track body panels inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 08:59 AM
MeinVinyl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track body panels inquiry

I'm going to a much more aggressive track layout than I had previously thought. I'm trying to find a set of front wide body fenders with the cutouts behind the tires, similar to the S2K in this picture:

I also would like to find a set of rear quarter panels or fenders that would be similar.

I saw a spoiler on here a long time ago that mounted to the rear of the hatch and bumper (makes the hatch unaccessible - but not relevant for purpose of car) but have not been able to find it since. It is similar to this spoiler but made completely out of carbon fiber:

If anyone has any information on this it would be greatly appreciated. I will be attempted to have my Carbon Fiber Nismo V2 front bumper remolded to fit with widebody fenders as well as obtaining a new rear bumper with a much more aggressive diffuser.

Other goals for the build will to have a light weight 18x12 or 19x12 set of wheels and some meaty street/track tires at all 4 corners. Eventually a motor swap to an RB26 now that I found the plug and play harness. Brakes and a massive suspension upgrading would take place as well. This is a 4 year goal to complete and I understand it's going to cost a considerable amount of money to get there, but I think it would be one of the most enjoyable cars I would ever own with the setup I'm looking for to complete.

If you have any information about where I could obtain the body panels and spoiler, please let me know. Thank you.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:33 AM
DarkCreep

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 07-24-2013, 09:38 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

search!
Old 07-24-2013, 09:56 AM
MeinVinyl

Good to know that people don't support full track setups around here....

Something similar to the Rocket Bunny FRS kit would work if I could find it.

Last edited by MeinVinyl; 07-24-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:05 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Its going to have to be custom, and you will need to make custom side skirts. The rear bumper, that part will probably be pretty easy. Just cut it andf go from there.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:08 AM
MeinVinyl

Originally Posted by KingBaby
search!
BTW - Looked through NUMEROUS sites, manufacturers and could not find anything for the body and have not been able to find the thread about the spoiler on here.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:10 AM
MeinVinyl

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Its going to have to be custom, and you will need to make custom side skirts. The rear bumper, that part will probably be pretty easy. Just cut it andf go from there.
I remember seeing a used Cusco 350Z wide body kit online a while back for about $3k and didn't know if anyone else actually made the parts, which is why I ask.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:59 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What's your realistic budget?

You know this is going to be ridiculously expensive right?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:45 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Serious answer is that the 350Z in stock trim can fit any spec at stock ride height. No real need for wider fenders unless like myself you want a wider appearance! Other than that it's all fluff.

That wing setup is also just for appearance...it could of been mounted several different ways...what's pictured is a very exotic way of doing it.

So you yourself have to take your plans back to the drawing boards and ask yourself...how serious is this going to go! If you feel it's going to be serious appearance is the last thing that should be on your list if not there at all...

recent track build from
https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road/550208-the-2th-pwr-track-car-conversion.html

https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road-305/
Also read everything in here....cause from your initial post worrying about track body panels is backwards thinking!!
Old 07-24-2013, 01:05 PM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

your talking about wanting a track setup and downgrading to a rb26 in the same paragraph, what the **** do you expect? once you get to around 600 whp the rb26 is absolute crap for any track but the strip and below that the VQ will far outperform it with quicker turbo spool up and higher mid range so really wtf do you expect?

seriously if you had searched you would have found out you would get called a retard for that. as king said overall you have demonstrated you really arnt serious yourself, dont have much experience, and are just looking to throw money at a bunch of expensive parts and hope it works. which is a recipe for disaster
Originally Posted by MeinVinyl
Good to know that people don't support full track setups around here....

Something similar to the Rocket Bunny FRS kit would work if I could find it.

Last edited by jerryd87; 07-24-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:26 PM
Extreme Dimensions
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

http://extremedimensions.com/03-09-3...-Body-Kit.html

PM me for insanely low pricing.

But the whole RB26 talk will make you seem kind of foolish....
Old 07-25-2013, 06:58 AM
MeinVinyl

Serious answer is that the 350Z in stock trim can fit any spec at stock ride height. No real need for wider fenders unless like myself you want a wider appearance! Other than that it's all fluff.

That wing setup is also just for appearance...it could of been mounted several different ways...what's pictured is a very exotic way of doing it.

So you yourself have to take your plans back to the drawing boards and ask yourself...how serious is this going to go! If you feel it's going to be serious appearance is the last thing that should be on your list if not there at all...

recent track build from
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=550208

https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road-305/
Also read everything in here....cause from your initial post worrying about track body panels is backwards thinking!!
The car would not be staying at stock ride height, nor would retain a lot of the stock suspension components, such as bushings, sway bars, toe links, etc etc. I would like the wider stance with much wider wheels/tires for the most contact to the ground and still having clearance for steering as well as proper camber and suspension clearance. I'm not going to stretch the hell out of the tires by throwing 225s on some 11" wheels. I'm talking about functionality on a track. Not looking good in a parking spot. To get the wheel specs I've looked at, they would not be able to clear the stock body and suspension (even with rolling the fenders). I have gone back and forth about this for quite sometime. It's not like I'm just randomly throwing this out there. There are some cosmetic changes but it is primarily to be able to fit the much more aggressive wheels/tires rather than "that looks bad ***".

The wing mount location I'm looking at is to limit the stress on the rear hatch/plexiglass, which has been an issue before (as I have done my research). Currently the car has a carbon fiber hatch, and mounting a functional spoiler to the top side of the hatch causes fractures and limits functionality of the spoiler itself. The rear mounted wings I have looked at in the past have proven to be more functional over a longer period of time.

Originally Posted by jerryd87
your talking about wanting a track setup and downgrading to a rb26 in the same paragraph, what the **** do you expect? once you get to around 600 whp the rb26 is absolute crap for any track but the strip and below that the VQ will far outperform it with quicker turbo spool up and higher mid range so really wtf do you expect?

seriously if you had searched you would have found out you would get called a retard for that. as king said overall you have demonstrated you really arnt serious yourself, dont have much experience, and are just looking to throw money at a bunch of expensive parts and hope it works. which is a recipe for disaster
I am quite serious about it in fact and have a lot of experience.
I'm looking for about 450-500whp reliably with the RB26 rather than the VQ. From the research that I have done, the VQ is a pretty weak motor if you don't throw a ridiculous amount of money at it anyways. I understand the weight differences as well as turbo setups to help reduce turbo lag. This is something I have been looking into for the last 2 years now and decided that's the route I'm going to go. So thanks for your input but it's unnecessary and a waste of time.

All of that being said, I'm just going to do everything on my own and will keep it away from this forum due to the lack of support and quick draw to call names. I know the costs involved as it's in the area of $45k-$55k, but it's not your money nor is it your car. I was just trying to find the information to move along the process. Obviously, I came to the wrong place, a 350Z dedicated forum when I'm looking to highly modify my 350Z.

Last edited by MeinVinyl; 07-25-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:08 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

https://my350z.com/forum/competition...-must-see.html great person to start buying parts from.

BTW, my car is lowered and runs 18x10.5 +15 up front with 285/35-18, no crazy camber either. The rear, if I wanted , could easily run a 11.5 wheel if I had the correct offset made.

Last edited by terrasmak; 07-25-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:22 AM
MeinVinyl

https://my350z.com/forum/competition...-must-see.html great person to start buying parts from.

BTW, my car is lowered and runs 18x10.5 +15 up front with 285/35-18, no crazy camber either. The rear, if I wanted , could easily run a 11.5 wheel if I had the correct offset made.
I'm looking to run 18x12 in front and rear. Thank you for actual useful information.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:01 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by MeinVinyl
I'm looking to run 18x12 in front and rear. Thank you for actual useful information.
What tire sizes are you looking at ? Obviously a stagger for tires as this will be a higher HP FI car. I would re evaluate the setup. A 10.5 up front that I run will easily accept a 295 or 305/30-18 , do you need more rubber. 11.5 rear will get you a 315 up to 335 rear.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:48 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

^^^

+1

Also if you search you'd noticed most the Z33 guys mount their wing on the trunk then build support stanchions on the inside!

Also 18x12 in front? What type of racing are you doing?

Either way man good luck and keep researching...this place is a great knowledge bank.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:05 PM
MeinVinyl

What tire sizes are you looking at ? Obviously a stagger for tires as this will be a higher HP FI car. I would re evaluate the setup. A 10.5 up front that I run will easily accept a 295 or 305/30-18 , do you need more rubber. 11.5 rear will get you a 315 up to 335 rear.
I'm looking at 335/30 all around preferably. I'm looking to run squared. I was originally looking at 18x10.5/12 but would like to go wider. I know it's not "needed" to go to 12" in front but it's what I'm looking at running for my own goals.

^^^

+1

Also if you search you'd noticed most the Z33 guys mount their wing on the trunk then build support stanchions on the inside!

Also 18x12 in front? What type of racing are you doing?

Either way man good luck and keep researching...this place is a great knowledge bank.
I've seen the mounts you're talking about but I've also seen those same mounts pull and fracture carbon fiber hatches. It'll be my own personal fun car. I plan on road racing it, but not in a class, but rather just open track days just for fun. I want to take the car beyond the limits of the current configuration. I already know I'd get "flamed" for building a track car to not race on a regular basis or within a continuous class, but I would enjoy it more setup this way as well as use it as a promotional vehicle.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:21 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Right now the cool thing to do is mount the wing off the rear bumper beam mounts and not connect it to the hatch at all. Then you can run it roof height or slightly higher , slightly behind the bumper and a 2D airfoil.

Tires , 335 front , maybe for auto cross , not road course.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:45 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-r...-my-370-a.html

No need to buy a rear bumper , look at the one in this build thread. You would just need to figure out a rear over fender.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:37 AM
MeinVinyl

https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-r...-my-370-a.html

No need to buy a rear bumper , look at the one in this build thread. You would just need to figure out a rear over fender.
Thanks for the link. I really like how he did his fuel tank but not sure about the square air ducts. The type of fender flares/wide body panels I was looking at would also have a large open section behind the rear tires where I was thinking more like a custom canard setup, similar to this:

Quick Reply: Track body panels inquiry