Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the "bmccann101s car gets a new look/ watch me suffer bodywork hell" thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 03:00 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Very nice....really liking the work done to those rear fenders much better than the typical bolted-to look. Retains the elegance of the overall car design as one flow for the eye and wind to travel.

Liking that side skirt widening too..one thought?....may just be the lighting on the primer or putty, but it looks like there's a little dip in the line on the very side of the rear swell...rather than a straight shot widening from start point to the rear fender...it's a little distracting and slightly less masculine to me than if the dip was removed. Looks just a little unisex versus "designed by testosterone" that I know you're going for.

Colors wise I've actually thought about your car a couple of times:

Deep eggplant would be beautiful as long as the rims are silver. Any other rim color and the rims will compete with or not complement the artistry of that color in my opinion. Black rims don't look good on dark cars in my opinion as the rim and tire blend into a blob of dark circle with no eye lines to create compositional complements or leads back to the lines of the car. Concave rims let your eye travel the sweep of the rim and back onto the fender line, but a black rim would lessen that effect big time in my view.

Midnight blue metallic could be stunning.

A rich but unique form of red could be great.

I do think though that a lighter color than the more midnight colors look better with dark window tinting, as the window curves complement the roof and hatch lines, an effect that gets lost with dark glass on dark painted body. The contrast is gone and thus the window becomes a blob of shape blending into the roof rather than a contrasting complement of lines that show off the lines of the roof leading to the rear.

So for a lighter color scheme?

A part of me thinks a champagne grey metallic with dark windows and classy accenting would be beautiful...but I'm not sure that's the number one color, deep purple could be pretty rich.

totally thinking out loud here at seventy words a minute...ignore this if not really a help...taking a break from some training I'm doing.

And great call on changing out the rims...I'd pick a rim that keeps the eye at the edge of the fender line since the wide body effect is so strong...will convey the staunch stance of the car to a better degree I think, especially with some convex action happening that gives a sense of depth without letting the eye travel too far away from the body lines.

Thing is going to sit still looking like it's flexing in motion.

Saved
Old 06-06-2014, 03:04 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

No clue on color until it's done..the body work and shaping also won't be done..until it's done lol..so there's plenty to do still.

I'm fairly limited by color due to the seats..so..yeah.. kinda keeps me out of sillier colors.. it will change dip color often tho..not to worked about that tho..
Old 06-07-2014, 10:32 AM
savedbygrace

That was honestly the first thing that stood out to me when I noticed your car awhile back on this forum, was looking at the Ferrari like shift **** and extension and saw the orange seats.

You can get your seats redone beautifully for under $800, or I wonder if you could get a sponsorship in full or part for the parts and labor of a redo?

I'd just go black, with or without white stitching, and let RedLine Goods maybe do a headrest cover with some embroidery of a simple but cool logo. Your car would look more up to date, be upscaled in quality, and be unique. Nissan leather is cheap looking, one of the areas they cut corners to make the car for the masses. Glad they did what they did to make such a great car at a lower price, especially since upscaling it back up to greater standards isn't that hard with some effort, cash and thinking.

If I can be a little bold...Those seats gotta go my friend Drags down the whole interior

I've seen some of the Katzkin re-do's...they look ten times better than oem. Not a Vilner look, but transforms the car x10 if the person doesn't choose a tacky color scheme. I'd just go black I think, and let the rest of the interior provide the sport look. Interior would look unified but unique still with custom high-end leather (no-perf...it get's dirty and dingy in not much time and can't be cleaned to look spotless like plain leather can).

Or....if you can't do the leather re-do....those seats can be dyed a different color, check out the UK version of a certain car site, a guy did his from black to a light grey and look good...but nowhere's near as nice as fresh leather from Katzkin.

Saved
Old 06-07-2014, 10:51 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Uh...what?lol..brings down the interior? Katzkins?

Haha..bro... these are Connolly leather and Alcantara seats in full 100% leather content.. they are far from stock in color quality and price...this is the same quality seating as you get in Bentley and the like..even at the sponsored price, they cost what several katzkins kits would have...

Think you might want to take another look at them.. then Google Spyker and look at the interior color.

I mean to each lol..but i cook up cars plennnty good...patience please. Patience.

There are plenty of specifics to the style i am going for here that are not similar to how u design an oem car.. it needs to look built..not just bought that way.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:08 PM
savedbygrace

I just looked at the Spyker interiors, and researched Connolly leather, but no offense...your seats don't anything like what's online....they look like oem orange Nissan seats? but...that's from the few pics I've seen and recall?

Maybe it looks different in person...or any chance you have a good pic you could post for my own learning?

The Connolly leather in an Audi interior looked supple and rich, and one of Jag interiors looked top tier..but others to be honest don't look that stand out to me? They just look like quality leather that isn't so so special...Vilner's leather, whoever they use, is one example of some stunning leather in my opinion, although not all of their cars are my taste of course, or yours....but my main thing is the color....that orange is so limiting that it goes with nothing except white, black or orange basically...maybe silver...but even then nothing else in the interior is orange, there's no pick up of the color, so there's no harmonizing of a unified effect....just pickups would help a lot in that department...but for the most versatility for now and the future, and for a unified look...I'd say black seats for sure.

Glad you're sharing the process...I'm learning things and very curious to see how the work everyone is doing turns out....lots of good ideas and skilled people are putting a lot into it I know....keep it going...and some day I'll have to see this car in person...I'm in Arizona as well.

Saved
Old 06-07-2014, 05:16 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Lol..I get it.. you don't like my seats..no need for three pages on it tho.

the car was silver when I did them..then it was satin black..looked fantastic in each.

All the gauges and illuminated are orange ..matches very well..it won HIN here last year too..

Anyhoo...picking it back up in two weeks to let the guy work on my Chrysler body kit.. and will do my 20x11 square fit test then.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:47 PM
savedbygrace

Ok in case I wasn't clear....I don't like orange seats...kidding kidding

See how we're on the same page though ironically? I said it looks good with silver or black...and those were both colors you've gone with..we're like internet friends now man.

Now that you mention the orange lighting it makes more sense, but.....that would only be a color complement at night...daylight would show just black interior with orange seats...so I think I have a good point still, but only half a point...which makes sense since the person typing right now is a half-wit. (me)

No attacking was meant of course...but I do really think black would look better.

20x11 square....square setup on high torque beast....i have no experience with that high a horsepower car..or square..although my next setup will likely be 9.5" square to try it out for daily driving fun...I'd be terrified during monsoon season though?....wide tires and rain...but straight up..I know you know what you're doing, I truly don't...I'm still learning as I go...but from what I've read that's a combo that must be a wild ride in the wet.

Congrats on the HIN...have no idea what a HIN is...I'm too newish to the car scene. I'll look it up, obviously a car show.

Looking forward to seeing your 20x11 test fit, thanks for including us in the road trip. You know if your rims are orange I'm going to have to speak up again....

Saved
Old 06-07-2014, 07:06 PM
RUNWDVL

Received 236 Likes on 135 Posts

the "bmccann101s car gets a new look/ watch me suffer bodywork hell"  thread-image.jpg
Old 06-07-2014, 08:12 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Less bickering, more pics and updates.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:03 PM
savedbygrace

Nobody's bickering Sparco....
Old 06-07-2014, 10:05 PM
savedbygrace

Took another look at your pics of interior...now I can tell the seats are much higher end than oem...you can barely see the texture of the leather on the left side, very nice quality.

Now I'm more happy with how you're spending your money.

Saved
Old 06-09-2014, 07:26 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Less bickering, more pics and updates.
lol.

no pics today, and off to Minneapolis for work for a few days, but when i get back, Im picking the z up to test fit the rears up front while he fits my Chrysler kit.

Ill have pics by thursday/friday.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:29 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

minneapolis was titz btw.. very pretty place.

K so i got my radiator shroud in.. thats all for sudates so far. lol.

Literally.. 79 bucks shipped form ebay, and tha alum gauge is very nice. Not sure about the fans but then again, theyre getting ditched for curved Spal 14"ers

Old 06-14-2014, 06:07 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

removed

Last edited by bmccann101; 06-16-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:33 PM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Same white Z that was at TAS?

Originally Posted by pyshin
Reach for the sky.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:38 PM
RedScytheZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmccann101
jesus fUUK.

I should have jsut done this kit.. all id need is do luck rep gear from my sponsor VIS and these Stardast over fenders and id be DONE..
smmfh.

If my roadster looked like that I'd never make it out of the parking lot to work. God.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:47 PM
kakirk30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmccann101
jesus fUUK.

I should have jsut done this kit.. all id need is do luck rep gear from my sponsor VIS and these Stardast over fenders and id be DONE..
smmfh.

Hey, I just emailed Star Dast for pricing on these fenders for you and I am interested in these as well. I will post up pricing once they email back.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:38 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by kakirk30
Hey, I just emailed Star Dast for pricing on these fenders for you and I am interested in these as well. I will post up pricing once they email back.
Ive already talked to them at length about it.. and I already have a price from them as well.. Arrangements are being made to send payment now. I think Im going to finish what I started here w the existing kit and get rid of the VS flares in favor of this kit. Too many ppl jumped on this AMS rear bumper suddenly.. really ruins it in my eyes now tbh.

Last edited by bmccann101; 06-16-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:39 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by pyshin
Same white Z that was at TAS?
yes same car.. although if i go this route, it wont be using the z34 conversion kit.. just the normal do luck for z33.
Nor are my airbags set to lift this high lol.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:50 AM
350zHalleck

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Edit - deleted erroneous info.

Last edited by 350zHalleck; 06-17-2014 at 02:20 AM.

Quick Reply: the "bmccann101s car gets a new look/ watch me suffer bodywork hell" thread