Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do i disable driverseat air bag?

Old 01-31-2004, 12:04 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question How do i disable driverseat air bag?

Does anyone have the write up in disabling the driverseat airbag? i know that an inline resistor is needed, but does anyone know of what type? and if they have swapped out stock seats for aftermarket ones, how did ur shop do it?
thanks!

--Cheston
Old 01-31-2004, 05:45 AM
DeeZee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go to www.airbagonoff.com there is a toll free # there. call it and ask for Bob Brown. i just ordered 2 a little while ago. the first one was $35, and the second was $10 i think. total with shipping was like $53. install is very easy! simply remove the connector from your seat. seperate the two wires going into the harness (car side, NOT SEAT SIDE!) then you strip a section of both wires, clip on 2 connectors (im not sure what they are called?) and run the resistor to the connectors. 5min job! ill post a pic of another members z that i found VERY helpful! hope this helps cheston.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:49 AM
DeeZee

resistor pic.
Attached Thumbnails How do i disable driverseat air bag?-airbag.jpg  
Old 01-31-2004, 05:50 AM
DeeZee

i found this thread last night "after" i bought my onoff.com set. how good are you with wiring??

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....light=resistor

latter man!
Old 01-31-2004, 04:12 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Hey DeeZee.
Thanks for the info

i'm pretty good at wiring.. seems like the guy you just bought put two or three resistors in series and wire wrapped them. cool. i'm going to head to radioshack to pick up some resistors...

thanks for the info-

--cheston
Old 01-31-2004, 11:57 PM
DeeZee

no problem. i just installed mine yesterday with out any problems! it was realy straight foward! by the way, what seats are you putting in?? let me know how your install goes.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:42 PM
LeighJr

Thats so funny all the pics of my car out there and the only one thats been recycled was the one of the airbag resistor , thats damn funny ...ahhahahahaha anyway I'm glad it was helpful!

cheston: in all honesty I was going to but the stuff also but it was just so damn easy I had to buy them.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:13 AM
DeeZee

i was wondering whos car it was! i went through SOOO many post trying to find out how to do it that when i final found a pic, i saved it to my pics, so i could use it too! thanks for the help man! i didnt find the thread with the ohms untill after i had ordered them, or i would have made them myself.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:17 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How do i disable driverseat air bag?

Originally posted by Chebosto
Does anyone have the write up in disabling the driverseat airbag? i know that an inline resistor is needed, but does anyone know of what type? and if they have swapped out stock seats for aftermarket ones, how did ur shop do it?
thanks!

--Cheston

Just curious..... why would you disable the driver's airbag?
Old 02-03-2004, 08:38 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

driver side impact airbag -- that came in my seat...i'm installing race seats....
Old 02-03-2004, 11:00 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ooooohh

Originally posted by Chebosto
driver side impact airbag -- that came in my seat...i'm installing race seats....

OOoooooooh.. now I get it.

Makes perfect sense.

I thought you meant the one in the steering wheel.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

*** UPDATE 7/10/05 ***

instructions.. since i've been getting so many PMs about this lately...

You'll need either a 2.2ohm or 2.0 ohm total resistance to trick the airbag system in thinking the seat airbag is still there.

quite simple to make, and that nismo airbag resistor that sells for like $54 is a joke.

Radio Shack sells a 5 pack of 10ohm resistors. Either in a 1/4 Watt or 1/2 Watt packaging.
1/4 Watt SKU# 271-1301
1/2 Watt SKU# 271-1101

I used the 1/4 Watt, but if they're out of stock, the 1/2W will work fine.

Next up, you'll need some 18 or 22 AWG wire. I like to keep things simple so one roll of red, one roll of black.

I wanted to keep things tight and water proof (in case of spilled beverages) so pick up some Heat-Shrink Tubing. Radio Shack SKU#278-1627B. Its a multi-pack and you can cut it down to fit around the resistors. Or use a cut Ziplock freezer bag and tape it all up after you're done.

Then pick up a box of BUCHANAN Tap-Splices. They're the RED color, for #22 - #18 AWG wires.. and what they commonly are used for is to splice things onto pre-existing wires. in our case, the yellow airbag connectors.

If you dont already have a soldering iron or solder, i suggest you pick up some while you're there. get solder with the resin pre-mixed in it, that way it will adhere easier.

basically. we need all five 10ohm resistors in Parallel circuit, that will equal a final resistance of 2.0ohms

so, grab all five resistors, twist the ends together on each side and solder one side with the red wire, the other side with the black wire. heat shrink wrap over the resistor cluster when you're done and then bend the wires to make a U shape. Once you have that completed. you can use the wire splice to attach to each side of the yellow airbag harness. it doesnt matter what color red or black goes to each wire, as long as there is good connection you'll be ok. i'd tape up the splices with electrical tape just to make sure it doesnt move. Repeat if you have a passenger side airbag you want to disable.

For the Airbag Reseting procedure…You must first change the SRS system to self-diagnosis mode, and then back to user mode to clear the airbag fault you might be getting after unplugging the side-impact seat airbag and driving with the car..

How to Change to Self-Diagnosis Mode:
1. Turn Ignition switch from OFF to ON.
2. Within 1 second after air bag warning lamp is on for 7 seconds and turns off, turn OFF ignition switch
3. After ignition switch is turned off, wait for more than 3 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 twice. (perform 3 times in total)
5. Turn ignition switch ON again (turn to Diagnosis Mode.)
Turn to USER mode
1. Turn Ignition switch to OFF to ON.
2. Within 1 second after airbag warning lamp is on for 7 seconds and turns off, turn off the ignition switch.
3. After ignition switch is turned OFF, wait for more than 3 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 twice (perform 3 times in total)
5. Turn ignition switch ON again (Turn to User Mode)

Your Airbag light should no longer flash while driving…

done!

--
Cheston
Old 07-11-2005, 04:22 PM
mofoz

you can also just buy the plug in resistors from mynismo.com and do the airbag resetting procedures.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:41 PM
accordfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this thread was helpful to me so i'm going to bump this up and give my input

I had to take my seat out to store some parts, so i bought the 95 cent 1/2 watt 2.2 ohm resistor, stuck it in the plug, then electrical taped the whole plug. After that I did the reset procedure and had no problems whatsoever.

95 cents!!!

54 bucks for a resistor and a couple splicers hahahaahahahahaha
Old 03-28-2007, 04:23 PM
wat_it_IS

Would this work for 03 G35 cpe on the aftermarket seat!!
Old 03-28-2007, 05:25 PM
davidf

Yes it will.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:26 PM
davidf

Originally Posted by wat_it_IS
Would this work for 03 G35 cpe on the aftermarket seat!!
BTW do not turn on the ignition once the seat is out unless the resistor is in place.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:26 PM
SlipZ

Originally Posted by Chebosto
*** UPDATE 7/10/05 ***

instructions.. since i've been getting so many PMs about this lately...

You'll need either a 2.2ohm or 2.0 ohm total resistance to trick the airbag system in thinking the seat airbag is still there.

quite simple to make, and that nismo airbag resistor that sells for like $54 is a joke.

Radio Shack sells a 5 pack of 10ohm resistors. Either in a 1/4 Watt or 1/2 Watt packaging.
1/4 Watt SKU# 271-1301
1/2 Watt SKU# 271-1101

I used the 1/4 Watt, but if they're out of stock, the 1/2W will work fine.

Next up, you'll need some 18 or 22 AWG wire. I like to keep things simple so one roll of red, one roll of black.

I wanted to keep things tight and water proof (in case of spilled beverages) so pick up some Heat-Shrink Tubing. Radio Shack SKU#278-1627B. Its a multi-pack and you can cut it down to fit around the resistors. Or use a cut Ziplock freezer bag and tape it all up after you're done.

Then pick up a box of BUCHANAN Tap-Splices. They're the RED color, for #22 - #18 AWG wires.. and what they commonly are used for is to splice things onto pre-existing wires. in our case, the yellow airbag connectors.

If you dont already have a soldering iron or solder, i suggest you pick up some while you're there. get solder with the resin pre-mixed in it, that way it will adhere easier.

basically. we need all five 10ohm resistors in Parallel circuit, that will equal a final resistance of 2.0ohms

so, grab all five resistors, twist the ends together on each side and solder one side with the red wire, the other side with the black wire. heat shrink wrap over the resistor cluster when you're done and then bend the wires to make a U shape. Once you have that completed. you can use the wire splice to attach to each side of the yellow airbag harness. it doesnt matter what color red or black goes to each wire, as long as there is good connection you'll be ok. i'd tape up the splices with electrical tape just to make sure it doesnt move. Repeat if you have a passenger side airbag you want to disable.

For the Airbag Reseting procedure…You must first change the SRS system to self-diagnosis mode, and then back to user mode to clear the airbag fault you might be getting after unplugging the side-impact seat airbag and driving with the car..

How to Change to Self-Diagnosis Mode:
1. Turn Ignition switch from OFF to ON.
2. Within 1 second after air bag warning lamp is on for 7 seconds and turns off, turn OFF ignition switch
3. After ignition switch is turned off, wait for more than 3 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 twice. (perform 3 times in total)
5. Turn ignition switch ON again (turn to Diagnosis Mode.)
Turn to USER mode
1. Turn Ignition switch to OFF to ON.
2. Within 1 second after airbag warning lamp is on for 7 seconds and turns off, turn off the ignition switch.
3. After ignition switch is turned OFF, wait for more than 3 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 twice (perform 3 times in total)
5. Turn ignition switch ON again (Turn to User Mode)

Your Airbag light should no longer flash while driving…

done!

--
Cheston
will this work for 06 350z enthusiast???..im having this problem when i installed my red sparco seats. specially the passenger side.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by SlipZ
will this work for 06 350z enthusiast???..im having this problem when i installed my red sparco seats. specially the passenger side.

should work.

for those in the LA Area- Fry's electronics sells 1ohm resistors, you could get two in series to get the same effect.

driver steering wheel uses dual 1.7ohm resistors.. in which dual 2.0ohm resistors would probably work as well..
Old 04-10-2007, 04:50 PM
SlipZ

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Chebosto
should work.

for those in the LA Area- Fry's electronics sells 1ohm resistors, you could get two in series to get the same effect.

driver steering wheel uses dual 1.7ohm resistors.. in which dual 2.0ohm resistors would probably work as well..
thanks!!!
Cris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do i disable driverseat air bag?